F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I knew there was a local tuner who tunes all kinds of vehicles to include eco mustangs and I ran across this dyno tune on Instagram as I was wondering if he has tuned any F150s, well know I know. Thoughts on the Dyno Graph for this 2014 Tremor

Still believe I am doing GH Tunes anyways!!

Looks like

338.1 HP - 450.8 TQ
337.2 HP - 463 TQ
337.2 HP - 462.2 TQ

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If that is tuned with 91 or 93 Octane, that's low compared to majority of the actual dyno runs (I'm not considering "Advertising" Dyno Runs posted by tuners which typically are even higher).

Members were posting a lot of their dyno results back in 2013-2014, but no one seems to do it anymore. But if that was a Dynojet ... which the printout appears to be - I would be very disappointed if that was my truck.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that is tuned with 91 or 93 Octane, that's low compared to majority of the actual dyno runs (I'm not considering "Advertising" Dyno Runs posted by tuners which typically are even higher).

Members were posting a lot of their dyno results back in 2013-2014, but no one seems to do it anymore. But if that was a Dynojet ... which the printout appears to be - I would be very disappointed if that was my truck.
Well, that is California fuel, probably 89-91 Octane?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well, that is California fuel, probably 89-91 Octane?
Best to find out ALL the details, so you don't get any nasty surprises.

But that dyno run looks weak, especially if that is on a Dynojet.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I knew there was a local tuner who tunes all kinds of vehicles to include eco mustangs and I ran across this dyno tune on Instagram as I was wondering if he has tuned any F150s, well know I know. Thoughts on the Dyno Graph for this 2014 Tremor

Still believe I am doing GH Tunes anyways!!

Looks like

338.1 HP - 450.8 TQ
337.2 HP - 463 TQ
337.2 HP - 462.2 TQ

Avoid local tuners that think they know something about the Ecoboost. Trust me, they don't. I learned my lesson about using local tuners that aren't totally familiar with our EBs.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Avoid local tuners that think they know something about the Ecoboost. Trust me, they don't. I learned my lesson about using local tuners that aren't totally familiar with our EBs.
I couldn't agree more. Better to deal with a known good tuner - EVEN if e-mailed. Than some "Hands-On" guy who is willing to experiment with your truck, even if Dyno Tuned. You may get WOT, but part-throttle may be entirely lacking.

I've said it many times, but other than the "time turn-around" to e-mail a datalog and wait for a new tune; you are better off with a good, known Ecoboost Tuner with a remote dyno-tune than a "rookie" on a hands-on dyno; since you cannot tune these PCMs "on-the-fly". I'd rather pay for the extra time for the tuner and dyno.

BTW, this was your attempt to install GT Turbos, right?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Better to deal with a known good tuner - EVEN if e-mailed. Than some "Hands-On" guy who is willing to experiment with your truck, even if Dyno Tuned. You may get WOT, but part-throttle may be entirely lacking.

I've said it many times, but other than the "time turn-around" to e-mail a datalog and wait for a new tune; you are better off with a good, known Ecoboost Tuner with a remote dyno-tune than a "rookie" on a hands-on dyno; since you cannot tune these PCMs "on-the-fly". I'd rather pay for the extra time for the tuner and dyno.

BTW, this was your attempt to install GT Turbos, right?
To install? Or to tune? This was an attempt by a local tuner to tune my GT turbo equipped F150. Ended up making just as much power as a rev1 MPT GT tune (360/430) Wasn't stupid enough to accept those results so I'm now working with 5* to get the truck cleaned up. So far it's been great! With just one revision I'm already feeling a very big increase in power. Haven't had a chance to make another log run because of rain, but I'm sure it's been leaned up and more timing added. I don't know if I'm seeing the full 11 quite yet, but it's certainly not 5-6*. Maybe around 8-9* now.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
To install? Or to tune? This was an attempt by a local tuner to tune my GT turbo equipped F150. Ended up making just as much power as a rev1 MPT GT tune (360/430) Wasn't stupid enough to accept those results so I'm now working with 5* to get the truck cleaned up. So far it's been great! With just one revision I'm already feeling a very big increase in power. Haven't had a chance to make another log run because of rain, but I'm sure it's been leaned up and more timing added. I don't know if I'm seeing the full 11 quite yet, but it's certainly not 5-6*. Maybe around 8-9* now.
Gene, what was your RWTQ/RQHP that you got and what fuel octane. Just curious.

That said, I am glad that you have found someone (5*) who is able to do a decent tune for you. Have you discussed "remote dyno tuning" where 5* has someone to expedite each revision as you e-mail your datalog & dyno sheets to them? That is the route I would recommend after doing a couple of datalogs to get your tune "in the neighborhood", as well as address any driveability issues you may find ... and then the remote dyno tune to "finish off".

Then you shouldn't need too many dyno runs for 5* to dial-in. Ultimately, this the route I think that must be done on the GT Turbos.

And yes, I STILL have my GT Turbos, Ported Manifolds and ported SPD Adapters ... I just need to meet with the EX to discuss a "Buy-Out Option" of our home. She currently is travelling out of the country - spending all the money she is anticipating from the splitting of our assets (which I paid the vast majority).

Once that is resolved, then I can go forward with my life.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
@Gene 3.5TT You, @Blown F-150 (plus a few other local guys) and myself should get together one day this Spring/Summer. We would all enjoy hearing your "trials & tribulations" LIVE (though most of us have read the Readers Digest version).

I checked out your "bolt-ons" and you have more than I have (even excluding the turbos). With just those and a good 92 Octane tune, you should EASILY beat my dyno results (see signature). That is with simple bolt-ons and a 91-92 Octane tune that Torrie did for me based on our crap fuelons. Torrie and I are going to see if we can "tweak it" a bit more, and then attempt another dyno run (just in case the results I was given were a "fluke"). This is BEFORE I attempt any GT Turbo installation (assuming wife and I can agree on certain items in our divorce).

I live up in the central part of BC, but the rest are in the Lower Mainland. I am sure someone could put you up.

I won't suggest everyone driving up to my home, but if you all did one day, I could put up in my house (though I recommend a few bring air mattresses and sleeping bags) - beds are a limited commodity.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
spoke to the shop today, it was actually the base line dyno pulls with canned sct tunes. He mentioned to me that they made 401 Hp dyno and street tuned and the guy has a shop down from him with a few 1000 miles on the truck now. The 401 hp was a race tune, he claims 388 Hp on a daily driver tune. He wants me to come in, which I will because I am using their dyn0 for my GH vs 5* comparison. He wants to dyno and street tune my truck as he is really getting into f150 tuning. Thinking about it. No worries, he is a very reputable tuner and very famous with the Subaru, nissan gtr and other brands.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I would ignore the SCT tunes and do a baseline of the Stock Tune (best to get speed limiter removed so you can do a comparative in 4th gear ... which is closest to 1:1). Wound out you are going to be 125-135 depending on tires and rear gear ratio: Most tuners will do a stock tune with no speed limiter for you.

Then compare the other tunes. Your mods will affect the base number, but that's not too important as you really are comparing the improvements and where, with all mods; from stock, 5* and GH.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts