F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it to auto zone for a free scan and was told vacuum line leak at waste gate. They never told me the code. Could not find a leak. I replaced actuator. Waste gate moves freely. What will cause drivers side turbo to scream and have loss of power?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
972 Posts
Took it to auto zone for a free scan and was told vacuum line leak at waste gate. They never told me the code. Could not find a leak. I replaced actuator. Waste gate moves freely. What will cause drivers side turbo to scream and have loss of power?
How many miles are you at?

Screaming turbo usually means it is shot and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey so I've been chasing a driver's side turbo sound for about a month or 2 now. Intermittently I'll get a p0299 underboost code for a few days at a time after I lay into her good. 2 days ago I finally decided to check the Boost Pressure Relief Valve on my Intercooler. HAHAHA! Let's just say, it wasn't relieving ****! It was completely clogged. So since I decided to replace ($52.99) instead of repair. I tore the sucker apart, diaphragm was in good condition but the inside was absolutely corroded. Totally fixed everything once I replaced it yesterday.

*Note this is on my Lifted 2016 3.5 Lari FX4.
@ 122k

Simple 2 - 8mm bolts and a clip. You'll either need a ratchet extension or to remove the Fat single intake tube that runs up to your throttle body. My recommendation, just move the tube. Loosening a hose clamp on the throttle body side makes it alot easier to turn out of the way. Just make note of the connecting vaccum line and sensor up there so be gentle. And I would disconnect it after the elbow piece, leaving that on the Intercooler and just turning it sideways. It's a ***** to get pushed back onto the Intercooler far enough for the clip to grab it.

Good luck. This worked for me, hopefully it can lead you into the right direction. I was dead set it was a leak in my intake somewhere since it started after a bunch of tube removal/replace from a different task. Which is why I hadn't checked this sooner.... Or a wastegate 😬

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey so I've been chasing a driver's side turbo sound for about a month or 2 now. Intermittently I'll get a p0299 underboost code for a few days at a time after I lay into her good. 2 days ago I finally decided to check the Boost Pressure Relief Valve on my Intercooler. HAHAHA! Let's just say, it wasn't relieving ****! It was completely clogged. So since I decided to replace ($52.99) instead of repair. I tore the sucker apart, diaphragm was in good condition but the inside was absolutely corroded. Totally fixed everything once I replaced it yesterday.

*Note this is on my Lifted 2016 3.5 Lari FX4.
@ 122k

Simple 2 - 8mm bolts and a clip. You'll either need a ratchet extension or to remove the Fat single intake tube that runs up to your throttle body. My recommendation, just move the tube. Loosening a hose clamp on the throttle body side makes it alot easier to turn out of the way. Just make note of the connecting vaccum line and sensor up there so be gentle. And I would disconnect it after the elbow piece, leaving that on the Intercooler and just turning it sideways. It's a * to get pushed back onto the Intercooler far enough for the clip to grab it.

Good luck. This worked for me, hopefully it can lead you into the right direction. I was dead set it was a leak in my intake somewhere since it started after a bunch of tube removal/replace from a different task. Which is why I hadn't checked this sooner.... Or a wastegate 😬
Getting p0299 code. Going to try boost pressure valve

·
Registered
972 Posts
Getting p0299 code. Going to try boost pressure valve
It depends on the sound you are hearing. If what you are hearing is compressor surge sounds than yeah it could be your BOv. If it’s like screeching noises from only one turbo than something is wrong with the turbo.

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. I was forced to do the catch can setup. It's probably blowby that's getting all caught up in your intercooler. Which would make sense if you have a faulty bov or clogged intercooler

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Intercooler has a hole drilled in it. Just wondering if a bad turbo would push oil into it. Still waiting on tow home to get a better look at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Replaced BOV yesterday and today my Intercooler is soaking in a tub of degreaser and simply green. So I don't clog the new one.

Prevention > Restoration

1 - 14 of 14 Posts