F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody confirm if I can use the rear speaker signals for an amplified JL Audio sub, similar to an LC2i? Or do I need to tap the front speaker wires? Somebody somewhere mentioned there might be low or high pass filter on the rears only but I can't find it and don't remember where it was?
20200329_171548.jpg
20200329_171544.jpg
20200329_171554.jpg
20200329_171602.jpg

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess main question is, if I have an amp that accepts speaker level input, can I use input from rear door speakers? And if so, do I still need an LC2i to compensate for any rolloff?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bumpity bump

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I am probably not a ton of help, but the rear signals should be full range. I wouldn’t pull from the fronts as the mids and tweeters do receive spilt signals.

I would have a quick look at crutchfield, sometimes they will post install info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
612 Posts
The rear speakers are not getting a full range signal from the stock head. The front signal is full range. The rear signal is bandpassed. Use front L & R for DSP input.

Reactions: Codycat91

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear speakers are not getting a full range signal from the stock head. The front signal is full range. The rear signal is bandpassed. Use front L & R for DSP input.
Idk, I've been told both ways. I'm currently using the rear inputs for my JL Audio sub with LC2i. Do you have anything that can prove 100% that the rears aren't full range and the fronts are? Or will this forever be "he-said/she-said?"

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am probably not a ton of help, but the rear signals should be full range. I wouldn’t pull from the fronts as the mids and tweeters do receive spilt signals.

I would have a quick look at crutchfield, sometimes they will post install info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Idk, I've been told both ways. I'm currently using the rear inputs for my JL Audio sub with LC2i. Do you have anything that can prove 100% that the rears aren't full range and the fronts are? Or will this forever be "he-said/she-said?"
Yes ! The entire spectrum of 20hz to 20khz displays on an RTA while playing pink noise with only the front door woofers and the A pillar tweeters playing ! The rear door speakers are bandpassed. They don't play real low frequencies or real high frequencies.

·
Premium Member
6,587 Posts
Lol

Well I have to admit that if you are willing to hook up a real-time-analyzer in your truck you CAN verify the spectrum up front VS rear.

But you'll also need to account for the fact your oem speakers might not be able to reproduce the entire pink noise spectrum. So don't blame the hardware.

I do agree that when in doubt, just make the extra effort and use the front's signal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
The front door woofers will play an attenuated bass signal below 40 hz down to about 28 hz and apparently with a fairly steep highpass crossover or maybe it is the natural rolloff of the woofer. They will play 40 hz loudly, but will distort it at about 23/30 of the volume. As far as I can tell, the tweeters take over around 3khz, also with a steep highpass crossover by way of that inline capacitor between the woofer and tweeter.
As I said, the rear doors signal is bandpassed, seems like with a highpass filter around 80 hz. Hard to tell where the lowpass filter is but seems somewhere between around 3-5khz.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts