F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new here and was looking at buying a 2015 2.7 ecoboost xlt crew cab from my dad for $8000. The problem is the waste gate actuator rod snapped through the waste gate linkage. I’m confident I could replace the turbos on this truck after watching some videos, I work at an automotive company as an engineer. The first question is can the linkage be replaced on the waste gate? I did not see parts available so I’m guessing no. Second question, are any of the remanufactured turbos you can buy for these trucks good to go or would you only buy from ford dealership? Third, this truck has recently had the trans rebuilt, new tires and brakes. My dad will give me a deal at $8000, how long will these trucks last? It has 176,000 miles.

Attachments

· Moderstrator
3,079 Posts
Welcome. Will your dad also give you a warranty? Just kidding (kind of).
One of the turbo experts will be chiming in soon to help you out.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
The remanufactured ones are fine probably but it’s not that much more expensive to just buy two new OEM turbos from ford.

If you want the best, cheapest option, pick up a set of used oem turboson eBay, they’ll have the wastegates on them. Then go to CR Performance website and buy their CHRA core and reuse your compressor cover.

If that’s too complicated, then I’d just buy new turbos from ford.

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,874 Posts
I’m leaning towards the remanufactured, $800 for the set. The local ford dealership would be $1000 each turbo, just got off the phone with them.
Whoa, 1000$ for each? On tascaparts.com they are like 500$ a piece. So 1000$ for a pair brand new

· Moderstrator
4,863 Posts
Ive got a spare wastegate actuator gathering dust if you want it. Actually an entire turbo, but its easy enough to take apart. It’s from my 2018 but it should work with your 2015. From what we know, the turbos are the same except for the oil feed lines.

driver side

View attachment 185043
What a great guy.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive got a spare wastegate actuator gathering dust if you want it. Actually an entire turbo, but its easy enough to take apart. It’s from my 2018 but it should work with your 2015. From what we know, the turbos are the same except for the oil feed lines.

driver side

View attachment 185043
Would this bolt on the same as a 15-17 turbo? I was thinking about buying two new turbos from tasca after seeing they are $500 a piece from the previous reply.

· Registered
867 Posts
Would this bolt on the same as a 15-17 turbo? I was thinking about buying two new turbos from tasca after seeing they are $500 a piece from the previous reply.
yeah, the exhaust housing is the same. You could take the core off your existing turbo and swap it onto this exhaust housing and youd have a ‘new’ wastegate actuator. The reason to use the core off your turbo is so you don’t have to mess with the different oil feed line.

edit: if it were me and my truck, I’d get a new set of turbos and run with that.. just offering this if you want to do it real cheap, it’ll get the truck back on the road.

You’ll need a bunch of seals/gaskets and hardware to replace the turbos. @boostkingMatt has a thread out there with the list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts