F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 F150 Screw Lariat w/Chrome Pkg; 2.7; Ruby Red Metallic; 3.31 rear end; Trailer Tow; 36 gal fuel
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn’t have any luck with searching…. I am about to replace the drivers side valve cover. Did something stupid so now it needs replacing. Got a new one from Ford, planning to do Monday morning before it gets so hot. Have not been able to find any specific videos on YouTube….any do’s or don’ts? Have not done one of these. Will I need to apply any sealant? New cover has a gasket, doesn’t look like any sealant should be required……Whole thing looks pretty straightforward, just don’t get in a hurry. Take pics as I take it apart to make sure it all goes back the same. Appreciate any suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 F150 Screw Lariat w/Chrome Pkg; 2.7; Ruby Red Metallic; 3.31 rear end; Trailer Tow; 36 gal fuel
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, you got it. No sealant needed. Just don’t overtighten the bolts into the cylinder head, just good and snug. Don’t over think it and take it nice and slow. Thing I always try to make sure I remember, always plug all the electrical stuff back in!
Thank you sir……and for the pics!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recommend taking your time and keeping your workspace clean. Used compressed air to blow off the old valve cover before removal. Oil the seals on the new valve cover before installing. Do not overtighten. Start from inwards to outwards.

Take as many pictures as you can.
Thank you sir! Have been wondering about tightening sequence, I probably would have done the opposite. Also would not have thought to oil the new seal…..last time I changed valve covers they were metal and on a ‘69 Chevy pickup. Appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well….here is how it went, spoiler alert….went good until it went really bad. Was very slow taking off, labeling wires and hoses. The clip down on the exhaust was the only real problem but eventually got it. Went back on with new cover and when I started torquing down the bolts my HF torque wrench was not working well. I should have just put it down and went by feel, but nooooooo! I had to twist a bolt off in the cylinder head. And of course it did not leave me anything sticking out to try and get it out. Ultimately decided it was time to “stop digging”. Put everything back together, drove it to work. Then called the Ford dealer close by. They have it at the shop and should get it done tomorrow. Back when I more piddling under the hood I didn’t have these kinds of problems. Too long ago, not thinking right about stuff…….probably just do oil changes from here out, let the pros handle the rest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts