F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Does anything else need to be replaced when changing the plugs? Are motorcraft plugs the ones to get?

Never use anything but FORD -OEM Plugs by motorcraft.

I replaced the PCV valve and the small boots on the coil packs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The only acceptable alternative I've seen at this point is the NGK Ruthenium plugs, which is what I'm running. They are higher priced than Motorcraft.

If you've got 100K on your plugs, you should probably do the boots as well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I worked at O'Reilly's when I was in college and would sometimes run parts to all the shops and car dealers. By far, the number one plug that was purchased by all independent shops and all car dealerships were NGKs, even more so than their own OEM plugs.

I am at 59,000, mi and still on the original plugs. Whenever I replace them I will use NGKs.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
My truck wasn’t running bad or anything either. It’s just on this forum you get worried that you might be doing something wrong if you didn’t. My gap did increase to 40 though. On old plugs.
I feel that so strongly !

·
Registered
93 Posts
Best question asked so far. I add to it:

Some pretend to be wrench turners think that the new spark plug Nickle plating negates the need for an anti-seize compound. What say our Pro's here?

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
No anti seize unless it's for preventing seizures.

Reactions: Geronimo John

·
Registered
93 Posts
TVSJR and the Pro's: I have seen SP550 and SP580 listed for the 3.5 EcoBoost. Which is preferred for stock Gen 2 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost (2019) primarily used for towing?

or the LTR6BHK NGK Ruthenium's?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
TVSJR and the Pro's: I have seen SP550 and SP580 listed for the 3.5 EcoBoost. Which is preferred for stock Gen 2 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost (2019) primarily used for towing?

or the LTR6BHK NGK Ruthenium's?
SP580 is the current correct plug for my 2018 3.5. And the NGK should be LTR6BHX, whoops!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Best question asked so far. I add to it:

Some pretend to be wrench turners think that the new spark plug Nickle plating negates the need for an anti-seize compound. What say our Pro's here?
That's what NGK thinks as well...

"Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental. "

They even make it pretty clear!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts