F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.5 F150
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I’ve got a 2015 3.5l F150. I’ve been having an issue and I can’t seem to track it down. So here’s the rundown...

new coils and plugs (6k on them)

I’ve tried 2 different tuners (N’Gauge & EZ LYNK) along with 2 different tuning companies.
When the truck is flashed to stock, no issue occurs and it runs a drives great... but after about a month of having it tuned, wether it’s an adaptive tune, or a custom tune, it starts to missfire under heavy throttle. Then it’ll throw a code pertaining to a certain cylinder. Every time I replace the coil pertaining to that code, it’ll be fine for another month or so. I’m thinking it has something to do with the high cylinder pressure that the tune produces..? but it has to be an issue with my truck... not the tune.

so far I’ve replaced all coils, plugs, and gapped them correctly. I’ve looked at the wires leading to the coils for any nicks or damage. I’m going to try putting more dielectric grease on the coils. Plugs all look like they’re in good shape.

thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
2015 3.5 F150
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What’s your climate like? Almost sounds like condensation in the intercooler.
Im up in Montana, it’s been pretty dang cold the last few weeks. I’d say anywhere from low teens up to high 30’s is where it’s been at lately

·
Registered
2015 3.5 F150
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also it isn’t consistent... for instance it’ll do it when I’m in low RPMS and high boost, when getting into the freeway, but other times I can mash the pedal and nothing. It’ll do it some days, and other days it’ll be just fine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What’s your climate like? Almost sounds like condensation in the intercooler.
^^^^^

It’s pretty easy to drop the pipe from the intercooler to the intake (at least on the gen1’s) and that will let u see if you’ve got the condensation goo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 3.5 F150
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^^

It’s pretty easy to drop the pipe from the intercooler to the intake (at least on the gen1’s) and that will let u see if you’ve got the condensation goo

I know on the gen 1’s the condensation was an issue, but this weekend I’ll take it apart and take a look. Can’t hurt to check and see.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
What coils are you using?

It's very easy to crack the porcelain of the spark plugs when installing them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I know on the gen 1’s the condensation was an issue, but this weekend I’ll take it apart and take a look. Can’t hurt to check and see.
To your point, it’s supposedly been dealt with, but your symptoms sound identical to the condensation problem

·
Registered
2015 3.5 F150
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Il
To your point, it’s supposedly been dealt with, but your symptoms sound identical to the condensation problem

lll check this weekend and report back. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2015 3.5 F150
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to give an update. Truck seemed to not like the aftermarket coils I had In there, I replaced with Ford OEM coils and put a bit of dielectric grease in and it runs like a top. Put 300 miles on it this weekend with 0 issues. I’ll stick with motocraft coils from now on

·
Registered
2019 3.5 XLT/SE 4X4 Magnetic SuperCrew 6.5 box 3.55 rear
87 Posts
Just wanted to give an update. Truck seemed to not like the aftermarket coils I had In there, I replaced with Ford OEM coils and put a bit of dielectric grease in and it runs like a top. Put 300 miles on it this weekend with 0 issues. I’ll stick with motocraft coils from now on
Glad to hear it, I’ve heard similar things about aftermarket coils on these trucks, they seem to be very temperamental and really only like Ford pacs. It’s my understanding the oem coil pacs are very high quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts