F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know about the Auto Start/Stop feature until I drove the truck home and, on the way and at a red light, the truck shut off. Talk about freaking me out!! Anyway here are my questions:

• What impact does it have on starter wear?
  • Is the battery any different from a normal truck battery (in other words, will I need to replace it sooner)?
  • Does it really save gas (in other words - is it worth it to use this feature)?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
All good questions. In truth only time will really tell, but my guesses are

•What impact does it have on starter wear? Yes it will wear out sooner than without.
•Is the battery any different from a normal truck battery? No
(in other words, will I need to replace it sooner)? Yes
•Does it really save gas (in other words - is it worth it to use this feature)? Probably not.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't know that madmax is wrong in his answers and truthfully I'm not disagreeing with him but I'd like to counter with... On some level this is how hybrids function (stop when they aren't moving) and they've been doing it for years! It seems to me that if you're sitting in rush hour in a sea of brake lights with the motor running you're pi$$ing away fuel! Is the fuel you save less or more than the cost of replacing the starter? Probably not...(will the starter fail while the truck is under warranty so ford has to pay for it? Probably not!)

People a lot smarter that some of us spent millions engineering these trucks which has to count for something but in that same vein, one or a group of those same a$$clowns decided that they'd remove a seat (that worked quite well) and install a seat out of something else that's very stylish (read "not very substantial, especially for a Truck!) that doesn't work worth a $hit (seat cooling issues anyone?) in the name of weight savings!

Reactions: gniknalu

·
Registered
95 Posts
I guess I need to read my manual.. I had no idea it had this feature.. Boy do I look like a dumb ass..

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I don't know that madmax is wrong in his answers and truthfully I'm not disagreeing with him but I'd like to counter with on some level this is how hybrids function (stop when they aren't moving) and they've been doing it for years! It seems to me that if you're sitting in rush hour in a sea of brake lights with the motor running you're pi$$ing away fuel! Is the fuel you save less or more than the cost of replacing the starter? Probably not...(will the starter fail while the truck is under warranty so ford has to pay for it? Probably not!)

People a lot smarter that some of us spent millions engineering these trucks which has to count for something but in that same vein, one or a group of those same a$$holes decided that they'd remove a seat (that worked quite well) and install a seat out of something else that doesn't work worth a $hit in the name of weight savings!
I certainly won't disagree with you there. And, I kind of think the OP wanted differing opinions or at least they are provocative questions. I have always imaging that a lot of engineering went into most of the engines that do this specifically for this function. I don't see that this happened here. The engine hasn't really changed much from last year to my knowledge. My other thought about your response is that I think most hybrids have much smaller and probably more efficient motors. The Boost negates a ton of the Eco in these trucks. I just fear being the guy sitting at the stoplight waiting for his truck to re-start when the light turns green:) Either way, I hope you are right and it works out for people.

Reactions: Red whoosh

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine hasn't really changed much from last year to my knowledge. My other thought about your response is that I think most hybrids have much smaller and probably more efficient motors. The Boost negates a ton of the Eco in these trucks. I just fear being the guy sitting at the stoplight waiting for his truck to re-start when the light turns green:) Either way, I hope you are right and it works out for people.
Two points:

• I have the 2.7 engine (LOVE IT - had the 3.5 previously and I don't see a power deficit with the 2.7) which wasn't previously offered in this configuration
  • Once you even slightly move your foot on the brake, it starts. And when it starts, IT'S READY to go. It takes less than a second to fire.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I need to read my manual.. I had no idea it had this feature.. Boy do I look like a dumb ass..
Trust me - if you have it, you'll know it. As I said, it caught me by surprise because I didn't know about it.

And, when you have it, it's not optional. In fact, you can disable it once you start the truck but by default it is turned on.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I certainly won't disagree with you there. And, I kind of think the OP wanted differing opinions or at least they are provocative questions. I have always imaging that a lot of engineering went into most of the engines that do this specifically for this function. I don't see that this happened here. The engine hasn't really changed much from last year to my knowledge. My other thought about your response is that I think most hybrids have much smaller and probably more efficient motors. The Boost negates a ton of the Eco in these trucks. I just fear being the guy sitting at the stoplight waiting for his truck to re-start when the light turns green:) Either way, I hope you are right and it works out for people.
Again, we aren't disagreeing with each other here...

As to the fuel-traffic benefit, I suspect it would be worth it for me in here in my area, it's 25 minutes to work in the morning and often 40 to an hour coming home due to that sea of brake lights that I spoke of, a little seamless stop start would probably save quite a bit of fuel and go a long way towards curbing that vehicular Tetris habit of mine!

Actually the 2.7 is a very different architecture, they changed all sorts of things, one of the most notable for me was that they cast the turbos into the exhaust manifolds (is that better or worse if a turbo fails? I'm sure it makes modifying them "interesting")

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Again, we aren't disagreeing with each other here...

As to the fuel-traffic benefit, I suspect it would be worth it for me in here in my area, it's 25 minutes to work in the morning and often 40 to an hour coming home due to that sea of brake lights that I spoke of, a little seamless stop start would probably save quite a bit of fuel and go a long way towards curbing that vehicular Tetris habit of mine!

Actually the 2.7 is a very different architecture, they changed all sorts of things, one of the most notable for me was that they cast the turbos into the exhaust manifolds (is that better or worse if a turbo fails? I'm sure it makes modifying them "interesting")
Is this only on the 2.7, or all the engines?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is this only on the 2.7, or all the engines? Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Currently just the 2.7 in the f150 platform, I'm not sure about wether or not it's still available on the fusion, but I would bet that eventually it'll be available on all models

Reactions: madmaxmutt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone found a way to permantly disable this feature. I don't like it at all. And we have already had one fail while with a trailer on a hill. Truck and trailer rolled down hill with no brakes or steering. Had to slam into park to stop. I just want it off completely and no one seems to know how

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
There's no way to aside from pushing that button on the dash every time you start it up. My boss has this on her Jeep Cherokee and was about to trade it in until I showed her the button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New member here...just picked my 2015 F-150 with the 2.7L engine and was not aware it had this feature. I first experienced this over in Germany in a BMW my friend drives. He rolls up to stop and everything shut down. Kind of freaked me out until he explained what it happening.

The manual does a nice job explaining when it will and will not auto-shut off and when the engine will kick back even if your foot is still on the pedal.

I guess reading the manual can be helpful. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Has anyone found a way to permantly disable this feature. I don't like it at all. And we have already had one fail while with a trailer on a hill. Truck and trailer rolled down hill with no brakes or steering. Had to slam into park to stop. I just want it off completely and no one seems to know how

The deactivation procedure is in your owners manual

·
Registered
578 Posts
New member here...just picked my 2015 F-150 with the 2.7L engine and was not aware it had this feature. I first experienced this over in Germany in a BMW my friend drives. He rolls up to stop and everything shut down. Kind of freaked me out until he explained what it happening.

The manual does a nice job explaining when it will and will not auto-shut off and when the engine will kick back even if your foot is still on the pedal.

I guess reading the manual can be helpful. :)
Welcome to the forum PT: it's nice to have you here, tell us a little about your truck when you get the opportunity!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes manual says its brake pressure and you can switch the system off but default is system is on. I want the default to be off so I don't have to press buttons or feather the brake at a light. Leave it in tow haul etc. manual also states it won't when trailer connected and we have already had a failure. I am looking for permanent disable or default is off

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes manual says its brake pressure and you can switch the system off but default is system is on. I want the default to be off so I don't have to press buttons or feather the brake at a light. Leave it in tow haul etc. manual also states it won't when trailer connected and we have already had a failure. I am looking for permanent disable or default is off Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is solely my opinion, but if you've had a failure, especially with the trailer attached I wouldn't be trying to figure out how to disable it, I'd be jumping up and down on my salesman's desk!!!! He/she sold you a 4-5000 lb weapon and didn't explain features like hill start or auto on/off (two of the systems that failed according to your post) and God knows what else, I love my truck, but re-reading your original post sounds like a recipe for a real catastrophe with potential fatalities! And that persons lawyer probably won't be kind enough to leave the driver's name (namely you!) off of the paperwork!

Again, i don't know the whole story but that's my opinion from waaaaay over here

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh it's already at the dealer and yes we know the lawsuit potential. You are correct on that portion. I just want the ability to disable permanently as we don't really need that feature anyway.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts