F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone knows why before I take it to dealer. It’s nice to know what I’m talking about so they can’t screw me over. Vehicle has extended warranty and I don’t want them dodging the bullet. Left front engine passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I can’t even really tell what part of the engine it is from the picture, but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say timing chain cover leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: wrmcdonald5

·
Registered
342 Posts
This looks identical to my 2013, which has been there since about the same mileage. It's yet to leak where I've noticed any oil loss on the dipstick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rotate pic once clockwise... Looks like valve cover then leak on Front plate Timing Chain cover like Sirikenewtron posted.

MAC

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I assume you mean the "left" side as you are looking at it from the open hood? (pass side, front of engine under the valve cover)

I have heard one or both of those bolts 'weeping' oil from it...

On my 13, mine is clean with 90k miles on it, but I don't think you'll get much 'warranty' work done on it unless it's dripping and losing oil from the crank between changes....

My guess will be they are going to say "it's normal"...

Yeah, my Dad's old 1971 F150 with the 390 in it leaked like a sieve from day one! It never really 'dripped' as such, but the engine was always dirty with oil...

At one point, it did leak enough to drip and instead of oil changes, he would just add a quart of 30w oil in it once a month and that was his oil changes! ha, ha... Yes, that was back in the day with actual oil 'cans' where you needed that funnel thing to punch thru the top of that cardboard 1qt can!

Anyway, get some "brake cleen" and spray it on there and clean it up and watch for how fast it comes back.. If it does in another 70k miles and it still has not dripped or lost any oil to where you have to add anymore, I would not really worry about it..

Of course, you could always "sue" Ford, but good luck with that too. :)

Good luck! Mitch

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows why before I take it to dealer. It’s nice to know what I’m talking about so they can’t screw me over. Vehicle has extended warranty and I don’t want them dodging the bullet. Left front engine passenger side.
Looks like some oil weeping from the timing chain cover. If they'll fix it for free, great... if not, I think they all weep there.
Mine's looked like that since it was about 2 years old, but it doesn't puddle below and I haven't had to add any oil in the 6K oil change intervals. I'm at 75K miles at the moment, and haven't lost sleep over it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts