F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anyone who has the new F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost has towing MPG numbers.

I have a 30' travel trailer that weighs 5700# dry. Looks like that weight wouldn't be an issue for the truck to pull, but wondered what the MPG might be.

I'm really hoping to get better than the 8-9 I was getting with my Tundra.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wouldn't expect much better mpg. Probably unnoticeable vs the tundra. Its the big box your towing that is the issue.
Although the towing experience might be better/more enjoyable with the turbos..

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Won't do much better.. When towing with the Eco, you get into the turbos more, so that = more gas.. ;)

I get 10-11 mpg avg towing, but if there is a head wind, forget it!

Now, towing performance can't be beat! It tows my #5000 TT awesome so I don't fret the mpg's! :)

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
1 Posts
I towed a 29.5' TT (5124# dry and 7623# GVWR) for about 2 years and generally got between 9 and 11 mpg. This included two trips from Florida to Texas in wind and rain. Even though this is better mpg than most get towing, the big difference over previous tow vehicle is power. Just bought a new 35' TT and haven't taken it out yet.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It takes fuel to make power..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know this thread is about the 2015 aluminum bodied truck. I thought, sharing the experience, towing 7700 lbs dry weight, 9600 max loaded with my 2014 Ecoboost CC, 3.5 ,3:73 max tow package. I'm getting 9.8MPG average. The TT is a 2016 289 Denali, actaul length is 34.8' with tongue.

20160226_121400.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine is the 2.7L Eco.....I tow a 5000lb travel trailer. I get about 14mpg, little less if there is a heavy head wind or a lot of hill climbing. With my old Sierra, I was lucky if I got 6-7mpg....

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a 2016 SCrew with 3.55 and it pulled my 35' TT that weighted close 8,000 # loaded. Avg about 11 mpg with a mix small hills here in north GA. As far as the fuel is concerned, my bud has a 2014 Tundra with all the bells and whistles. I do better than him when it comes to towing and city driving, not so much on the highway over 65mph, but we are close!

·
Registered
221 Posts
You guys are gluttons for punishment to your trucks with those big TT's. If I was towing something like that on a regular basis I'd have to go diesel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You guys are gluttons for punishment to your trucks with those big TT's. If I was towing something like that on a regular basis I'd have to go diesel.
Towed all kinds of stuff for 45 years, never had issues with tow vehicles when properly equipped for towing. Always had V-8's in the past, none towed as well as this puny V6 Ecobeast. Also, towed with 7.3 diesel,it was like a slug.I like the new 6.7 PS, but can't justify getting one for tooling around town with when not towing.
My boat weighs 8300 dry and the truck pulls it like a champ in BC's mountains with 6-7 grades.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Towed all kinds of stuff for 45 years, never had issues with tow vehicles when properly equipped for towing. Always had V-8's in the past, none towed as well as this puny V6 Ecobeast. Also, towed with 7.3 diesel,it was like a slug.I like the new 6.7 PS, but can't justify getting one for tooling around town with when not towing.
My boat weighs 8300 dry and the truck pulls it like a champ in BC's mountains with 6-7 grades.
Power wise I know from towing a 26' travel trailer without brakes hooked up or WD hitch with my Magnacharged Avalanche; it was effortless. I'm sure the 3.5 eco would be the same way, but I would be concerned a steady diet of heavy pulling with a 1/2 ton truck would take a toll. A 3/4 ton diesel is built for towing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey, to me if you get 6-10 mpg towing a decent load, that's good. Power boys, that's what I'm needing. And a 36 gallon tank of go juice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm with turbox2. The cost of ALL of these trucks are out of control. My very capable little 2.7 tows my TT great and didn't come close to the price of the diesel rigs, and they don't seem to make much better gas mileage under load. The 6.7's can't match my unloaded mileage either, they just tow well with their high torque. My 2.7 still manages to make 375 ft-lbs of torque (all stock) @ 3k rpm. I'd love a diesel but can't justify the cost over what I can do with what I have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 3.5l Ecoboost. Having towed all sorts of different farm implements and tractors, I'll be honest I never measured the mileage. I do know that the display showed 11 mpg when I was pulling a 10,000# orchard tractor. I did not measure the mileage by hand though.

I also considered a 3/4 ton diesel, but even as often as I tow I realistically only need 10,000# plus capability 10 times a year (If I really need capacity I can use a 1 1/2 ton or 1 ton flatbed from my business). The initial cost is higher (though not by much these days!) for a diesel, as well as day to operational cost ( I generally put 30-35000 miles a year on). Plus, bouncing around in the field in an unloaded Super Duty sucks when you're out there all day. I had 2013 F-250 extended cab, long box, 4x4 with the 6.2 gas motor. Unless I had 2,000# in the bed or at least a 7,000# trailer on; the ride was horrible. Driving 65mph on a rural hwy, the traction control would come on if the road was pot holed at all. The GM 3/4 and 1 tons definitely ride better than the Super Dutys, I may consider a Duramax on the next go around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got back from a weekend at he campground. I pulled my 36'11" ST 33BD (9000 pound travel trailer). It was 60 miles there and uphill most of the way. I averaged about 60 mph, and 8.5 mpg. The trip home had 35 mph side wind, I was down around 55mph for this stretch. The last half had a tail wind and I averaged 62 mph. My combined mileage for the entire trip was 11.5 mpg. I am happy with the average. The Ecobeast handled the camper very well. The crosswinds were noticeable but manageable at 55 mph, and with the tail wind it was smooth going.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts