F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, so my '15 EcoBoost SuperCab vibrates while gently accelerating/cruising uphill on the highway. The vibration is similar to going over rumble strips (slightly softer though). It actually feels like going over 3 rumble strips only then stops for a second and does it again. This occasionally happens during normal driving but will always occur while going uphill. The car is perfectly fine if I actually accelerate fast and doesn't feel like there is a loss of power or the engine choking. No engine light on and the RPM is stable when that happens. Only other thing I noticed that the engine slightly vibrates during idle (it could be misfiring idk).

The car has only 35k miles on it and all of the check-ups and oils changes were done at the dealership.

Has anyone experienced this before or have an idea of what is going on?

Thanks!

UPDATE: the problem went away after a full service at the dealership. Oil change and intake filter were changed (intake filter was nasty). The car would just shift down to 5th gear now rather than choking itself and do that "rumble strip like vibration.

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
You will find another thread around here with very similar symptoms and just recently a fella stated he had his transmission serviced, and the symptom disappeared.

Basically a fluid change was his claim to happiness. No guarantee, of course. But certainly an inexpensive option and one that does no harm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will find another thread around here with very similar symptoms and just recently a fella stated he had his transmission serviced, and the symptom disappeared.

Basically a fluid change was his claim to happiness. No guarantee, of course. But certainly an inexpensive option and one that does no harm.

Thank you. That is my first go to option along with swapping the spark plugs. Just wanted to get some opinions before I spend some money on that.

·
Registered
2013 Screw XTR BCB Tuned
861 Posts
You might look into the weep hole in your intercooler also. Oil up the intake from the IC could cause studder symptoms also, though I haven't heard any specifically described as yours are. Depending on if your climate is cold about now, this may exaggerate the symptoms even.

·
Premium Member
6,879 Posts
This is the other thread:

Reactions: Mikedick77

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 f150 EB and I'm having the same symptoms. Cruising speed and accelerate on slight incline the truck sputters lightly. Gas mileage has decreased as well. Any thoughts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just 'cause you have your truck serviced at the dealer is zero grantee that it's done RIGHT... I did my first free oil change at the dealer where I bought my brand new F150 and didn't think of it at the time, but when I got home, checked the oil and they over filled by a full qt.... Bet they but in that 5w20 stuff too..... How do I know they put an extra qt in? Used my vacuum pump and sucked out a full qt and the oil level was then at the FULL mark.. Changed the oil about a week later when I thought more about it and have never been back, except for the 2 recalls the truck has had...

Sounds like a miss fire to me... I have a 13 with 85k miles on it and don't have those symptoms. Tow a heavy TT over passes and I'm into the boost for sure doing that and it just humms up the grades and no issues..

Good luck!

Mitch

Reactions: meaz93

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Just 'cause you have your truck serviced at the dealer is zero grantee that it's done RIGHT... I did my first free oil change at the dealer where I bought my brand new F150 and didn't think of it at the time, but when I got home, checked the oil and they over filled by a full qt.... Bet they but in that 5w20 stuff too..... How do I know they put an extra qt in? Used my vacuum pump and sucked out a full qt and the oil level was then at the FULL mark.. Changed the oil about a week later when I thought more about it and have never been back, except for the 2 recalls the truck has had...

Sounds like a miss fire to me... I have a 13 with 85k miles on it and don't have those symptoms. Tow a heavy TT over passes and I'm into the boost for sure doing that and it just humms up the grades and no issues..

Good luck!

Mitch
I totally agree with you. My warranty came with 7 years of oil changes. I always checked oil level after changes. I hated when the window reminder sticker says 5w30 and the paperwork says 5w20. You go back in to talk to adviser and get , you got 5W30 and paper work always says 5W20. I say you need to fix that because I don’t know if I believe you. By the way I used my last dealer service just recently so from now on I know it will be done right. I’ll be doing it myself now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Good luck!

Mitch
I totally agree with you, unfortunately I live overseas where no one knows how to deal with american cars except the dealership. Also their prices are all jacked up, an oil change costs $250 here. That is why I'm really concerned and trying to be on top of any issues cause having to go the dealership to fix anything will cost a fortune

·
Registered
538 Posts
First step, pop it down a gear when this happen. Still there?
Second step, spark plugs and boots replaced. Low level misfires don’t throw a CEL. Still there?
Drop the transmission pan, replace the filter and replace the fluid that came out. still there?
Drop the driveshaft and check the U-joints for stiffness. Check the Center bearing for smoother performance and lube the splines.
I had a rental eco a number of years ago that “resonated” at about 1/3 Hz (every 3 seconds or so) going up hills while somewhat lugging the engine at low rpm. It is somewhat inherent.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Second step, spark plugs and boots replaced. Low level misfires don’t throw a CEL. Still there?
Drop the transmission pan, replace the filter and replace the fluid that came out. still there?
Drop the driveshaft and check the U-joints for stiffness. Check the Center bearing for smoother performance and lube the splines.
I had a rental eco a number of years ago that “resonated” at about 1/3 Hz (every 3 seconds or so) going up hills while somewhat lugging the engine at low rpm. It is somewhat inherent.
I really appreciate your reply, totally helpful.

Forgot to mention that it never happens at 5th. Only cruising at 6th. What does that mean? Also I poured a bottle of injectors cleaner with a full tank, i went through 1/3 of the tank so far and it seems that it actually reduced the frequency of the vibration.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The tuning of the transmission tends to try to get into the highest gear as quickly as possible and hold it. The balance of a V6 is not as good as an in-line 6 or V8 which accounts for some of the vibration at low rpms and higher loads, which is why it doesn’t vibrate as much in the 5th at the same speed.

·
Administrator
10,593 Posts
I felt a feeling like that ONE time (well a couple of times on the same trip) after driving several hours through what was literally a brewing hurricane. Absolutely torrential downpouring. I was terrified I had the beginnings of TC issues, but I've never felt it since. Not once. I chalked it up to condensation issues but I really don't know. Scared the bajeezus out of be being many hours from home.

It was sort of while tipping into the throttle around 70-80 mph.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So does that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tuning of the transmission tends to try to get into the highest gear as quickly as possible and hold it. The balance of a V6 is not as good as an in-line 6 or V8 which accounts for some of the vibration at low rpms and higher loads, which is why it doesn’t vibrate as much in the 5th at the same speed.
So does that mean what I'm experiencing is normal? No issues with the car? I was able to recreate the issue by switching to manual on 6th gearr and trying to accelerate. It happens everytime I do that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My impression is that it is somewhat normal. More worn engine or transmission mounts might bring it out a bit. Maybe servicing those items will reduce it, but I think it’s somewhat inherent.

·
Registered
512 Posts
spark plugs. willing to bet your plugs are done

1 - 18 of 18 Posts