F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so many intercoolers available for our 2015+ f150’s I’m curious which ones y’all favor the most and why? If it was one of the more expensive ones, was it worth it? If one of less expensive ones, would you go back and spend more money? Which gave you the most “Oomph”? Did you tune it?

·
Registered
164 Posts
An upgraded intercooler or CAC will not add any power, it will keep the intake air charge at a more consistant level and keep the engine control computer from backing off timing and reducing power.
Recently purchased a CVF Titan but may wait to install it as it's winter and will not provide much benefit. I will data-log it and send that to BCB to compare with my existing tune but do not expect any update change. The CVF is probably the least costly available yet offeres simple instalation and improved airflow/cooling capacity. KM

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have the Full Race (1st version if I remember correctly) and it does a great job keeping intake temps down. It does require more work to install because it goes between the grille and radiator and the cost is much higher than the CFV. The size is huge compared to the OEM.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got a Rev9 FMIC, due mainly to cost. Easy to install, replaces the factory one perfectly. I also removed the shutter blades that were directly in front of the FMIC, but left the side brackets and blade motor alone, so as to not throw any codes. Relocated the front license plate, so now there's nothing blocking airflow to the FMIC. I'd be interested in seeing if removing the blades has any effect on a stock FMIC. That would be the first place I'd start.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
"I'd be interested in seeing if removing the blades has any effect on a stock FMIC. That would be the first place I'd start."

Need log graphs? I have mine before and after pulling the vanes on my 2017 OEM CAC. Biggest difference is the climb and drop in IAT2's as the vanes opened and closed. Which happened often even at steady speeds. KM

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with the cvf for the price. I dont believe it is us made, but it is probably the best for the price. I dont think the quality is quiet on par with the higher dollar ones, but its worth the cash. Kind of hard to mess up a big chunk of aluminum with fins.

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,681 Posts
I have a Wagner, which I bought secondhand for $750. I don't know that I'd pay full price, and even $750 might be a little steep. But, it seems to perform very well.

Temps are 10-15 from ambient on heavy throttle and high boost. It's oftentimes less than 10 degrees difference. I am not sure what to look for to show a pressure drop, but I don't believe that I've read it's an issue with the Wagner. I think I've only read of that being a problem with the Full Race. I haven't noticed any ill effects from the CAC.

When I really decided it was worth it for me was when @Boostking was tuning my truck. He had an IDENTICAL truck in the shop for some dyno testing. Running the SAME EXACT tune file and revisions he was sending me, he said my truck was running a more timing and boost due to the lower charge temps. Other variables as close as we could muster from so far apart.

If I was going new I think right now I'd have to go CVF, or play some roulette with a Levels and see if I got it in the next year or so.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the CVF as well on my 2.7, seemed like a good option between the cheap $250 model and the $1000 options. Paid around $500 with a coupon on eBay. In the mountains I instantly noticed more consistent power through each gear, better response and lost the “surge” feeling under full boost. I have a 5star tune as well but for sure the CAC made a decent difference for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm considering the Garrett or the AMS intercooler and even the CVF intercooler but watching threads like this to see the feedback on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts