F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Lariat FX4 SuperCrew with the twin panel moonroof and in the two years of owning the truck, it's now in the shop for the second full moonroof replacement. The main problem is a leak between the moving piece of glass and the fixed piece of glass, same issue both times. I noticed this taking it to an automatic car wash with some people in the back seat that said water was pouring in, and it does absolutely pour in. After that incident I also noticed that the assembly rattles around like crazy.

Ford doesn't seem to have a fix for this and they have to replace the entire assembly (taken to two different dealers, same response each time).

Is anyone else having problems like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
Welcome to the panoramic life! Mine, so far (18k miles), is not doing it but I did have to take it in because it wouldn't close. But this sounds like a similar issue many have brought up.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had the rattle. Brought it in armed with the TSB. Picked it up, rattle is gone. 3K miles since the rattle was fixed.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Have not experienced any issues with mine but have only used it a few times. Usually just stays closed. And it better never be near an automatic car wash while I own it.

Reactions: msirach

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine won't open and my dealer is an hour away but is a POS so I have to go 2 hours away to get fixed and just haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2015 moon roof rattles and they have fixed the Tsb but it still rattles. And now it intermittently won't open
Anyone else have an issue ?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually think this is a much larger issue than anybody realizes. I had mine fixed while it was under warranty, and now it's broken again. Only this time, nobody but Ford will touch it and they're asking $2200+ to fix. Maybe it's time to go class action on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually think this is a much larger issue than anybody realizes. I had mine fixed while it was under warranty, and now it's broken again. Only this time, nobody but Ford will touch it and they're asking $2200+ to fix. Maybe it's time to go class action on them.

No Doubt this is a huge Issue. after many years of owning a Ford F-150, sure bet i will never buy another one!!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have had the rattle fixed twice now (once each side) in the 79K miles I have owned the truck. The third time was because it would not open because the plastic thingie (real name, I looked it up on the internet) was broken and jammed it. It is now rattling again ... =( They have not replaced the entire glass, as the rattle is being caused by a plastic 'hinge' like lifter. When the moonroof is closed, the plastic thingie , has no pressure so it rattles. When open, it has pressure, no noise. I was told that to open it, I should tilt up, then close, then open it. I rarely remember to do that. All my repairs, and the upcoming one are being done under warranty, but still takes time.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Wouldn't say always. This is my 4th sunroof and the only one that has had issues - 3 times in less that 50k.
Miles on other vehicles: 300k, 130k and 138k.

I think Ford just did it wrong. The problem I have had with mine is one side will move sooner than the other making it crooked. Then all hell breaks loose. I know it has two motors I just don't know if one is hooked to each side of the glass and runs the worm drive or if one motor runs the worm drive and one runs the shade. If it is the first and the motors are in sync, I could see that being the issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just had the guides replaced on mine today. There is a video on youtube showing you how to lubricate the seals to help prevent it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having issues with my 2017 F-150 moon roof too. Had rattling since I can remember but it still worked. Ford dealer lubricated it once and helped for a week and then back at it. Then my moon roof wouldn't close one day. Of course, just out of warranty so they won't cover the cost to fix. They are charging me $900 to fix. I went to a couple of mechanics and found out that Ford discontinued the replacement part because it is no good. So they have to buy a whole new rack system and replace everything. I talked to Ford to see if they would cover even though out of warranty by mileage (not years) (windows really shouldn't have anything to do with mileage) and they said that it is a known issue but it takes time to confirm that they will recall it. I should pay for the repair and watch for the recall. I won't be buying another Ford if they don't take care of their engineering problem. I better not have more issues with it as time goes on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Lariat FX4 SuperCrew with the twin panel moonroof and in the two years of owning the truck, it's now in the shop for the second full moonroof replacement. The main problem is a leak between the moving piece of glass and the fixed piece of glass, same issue both times. I noticed this taking it to an automatic car wash with some people in the back seat that said water was pouring in, and it does absolutely pour in. After that incident I also noticed that the assembly rattles around like crazy.

Ford doesn't seem to have a fix for this and they have to replace the entire assembly (taken to two different dealers, same response each time).

Is anyone else having problems like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 2015 ecoboost. The dealer replaced the entire moon roof because it was too small for the hole in the roof of the truck. There was zero seal compression on the moon roof and truck and water poured in. Ford said that they haven't had any problems with the moon roofs. Obviously Total bs. The past couple days the roof locked up and dropped down about 1/2" on one side. I'm going to pull the roof out tonight and check the track because it appears to have jumped off. The roof obvious will not close or seal.

This is a poor design at best. This should not have this many failures. I'm very disappointed in Ford as this is my first Ford truck. I had gmc for years with moon roofs and never had an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the same 2 broken plastic pieces on my 2015 f150 lariat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2016 Ford F150 XLT, Moonroof leaking over a year. First time, Ford blamed the plastic tracks were cracked, so they replaced them. 4 months later, still leaking, they said the glass wasn't resetting flush to the top of the truck, so they reset the motor to make the glass flush. Now not only do I still have leaking, but there is some additional rattling going on and 2 months later still leaking. This time they are blaming the plastic trim from around the moon roof glass as being worn and cracked and that it needed to be replaced. Of course they don't know for sure, but they want me to pay them $3,500 to replace the moon roof because the plastic trim and glass all comes as one piece. This inst covered under my 100% bumper to bumper Ford extended warranty. What Baloney! I'm not buying another Ford.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Modinstrator
2,580 Posts
Well okay then. Sounds to me like you’ve got the wrong dealer fixing the moon roof. I mean no offense but how hard is it to drench a roof with water after a repair and see whether or not water is getting inside the truck once the job is finished? The technician that made the repair should have surely done that. If you personally didn’t test it out several times after getting the truck back, well then...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know, it sounds silly that neither of us (dealership, or myself) can figure this out. Its strange, it doesn't leak all the time, only sometimes. It seems to only happen during long prolonged heavy pours. Like the water is seaping through somewhere.... I have even taken it through high pressure car washes and tried to recreate the leak, with no avail. The dealership also stated they tried to recreate the leak, but everything looks fine to them, the drains are all working as intended... but there is the leak.....

It happens on the front right side of the Pillar by the support beam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you made sure your drains aren’t plugged up? Seems like the only logical issue since it only leaks during prolonged rain?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts