F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2016 F-150 King Ranch w/ a 3.5 Ecoboost and it's currently in the dealership right now getting work done on the 3rd manifold replacement in less than a year. Last Sep, I was camping and when heading on one of our day trips, I heard a really loud rattling when I pushed on the gas. Turned out after I got back from the trip, I took it to the dealer and found out that the passenger side manifold was bad and had to be replaced. 2 weeks ago, the same thing happened to the drivers side manifold, and last week, the passenger side manifold started doing the same thing again.

I assume that heat is causing the manifolds to warp and get damaged (although, I am not sure how that would happen.) I have towed my camper quite a bit, but I don't really push it all that hard when towing and the temperatures never waver at all. So my question is this: What things have others done to relieve some of the heat off the manifolds? Or is this an unfixable issue that will make me get rid of the truck? Anyone else have these types of issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's stock. I have had the vehicle at the ford dealer for repairs way too much and have not wanted to void the expensive warranty that I have by running a tune with it, so I have just kept it stock. I could understand if I am running the truck hard or with a tune that would cause it to run hot, but that's simply not the case. The only real work that the truck does is towing my 33 foot camper every now and then. And 3 manifolds in a year is considered "extremely rare" even by the dealership.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Towing is way harder on the turbo system due to load tbh. Especially if your using lower gears and higher boost. That does seem odd for that many manifolds though

Reading your post a bit more i wonder if the install was done correctly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Towing is way harder on the turbo system due to load tbh. Especially if your using lower gears and higher boost. That does seem odd for that many manifolds though

Reading your post a bit more i wonder if the install was done correctly
That's a good question. I would assume so, but that is simply due to fact that the dealer is doing the work. BUT that really doesn't mean much. If the drivers side one (which was replaced 2 weeks ago) goes out, then I am going to start assuming that the answer to that is "no". And yes, 3 new manifolds in less than 12 months is what I would also call "ODD".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering if there are additions to the truck that would help the airflow and keep those manifolds a little cooler and less prone to breaking the studs?

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
I was wondering if there are additions to the truck that would help the airflow and keep those manifolds a little cooler and less prone to breaking the studs?
YOU are the only factor for keeping them a little cooler when you are towing.

In short, less boost, more rpms.

Having said that, the fellas that tow heavy (relatively speaking) seem to experience the warped manifolds at a considerably higher percentage. Which actually makes sense.

There are aftermarket manifolds that are considered more "robust" and less likely to warp. Too bad that a warranty claim is almost guaranteed to nix that opportunity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not that i am aware of but no one has warped that many manifolds or broke that many studs (at least reported on here) when they did them at home or not at ford so I am rather skeptical of the work being done tbh. Its also possible the manifolds being used arent flat and need to be planed to be made straight

·
Registered
549 Posts
Not that i am aware of but no one has warped that many manifolds or broke that many studs (at least reported on here) when they did them at home or not at ford so I am rather skeptical of the work being done tbh. Its also possible the manifolds being used arent flat and need to be planed to be made straight
I agree. My truck sounds like the videos, and i'll be saving a truck load of money (Pun intended) on that repair by doing it myself. I have no exhaust experience at all, and I feel perfectly fine with doing that one.

To the OP, personally if my truck was on warranty, and had this sort of track record, i'd be taking it to a different dealership. Sure, sh!t happens from time to time, but so do mistakes. Think of it like losing a grand at the blackjack table, dumb luck, sure. You aren't gonna keep dumping money at that same table/dealer are you? ;)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Snake, let me reduce that for you.

<RPM>BOOST

We might as well have a sticky for the big three issues. There's at least 1-2 new posts about them every week!

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
Just out of curiosity....what would happen if you didn't fix them? You just lose some performance? Drop some MPGs?
Earplugs or a really good stereo upgrade would be required?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
The issue is the back cylinders only have 2 studs instead of 3 because the turbo is in the way. The very back stud (that always breaks) it taking heat from the turbo, engine and right behidn the manifold is a heat shield, so it is jsut baking. On top of that, it is more stressed due to holding the manifold over that cylinder basically on it's own. That is a bad design. They need more studs.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just out of curiosity....what would happen if you didn't fix them? You just lose some performance? Drop some MPGs?
14.3mpg's for me, and not as smooth accelerating as it was before this happened. I already have a good stereo upgrade, so I just drown that part out. The performance hit chaps my ass more than anything. The sound echoing off the walls in the garage when I start it is a distant second.

·
Registered
967 Posts
For me I noticed that low rpm performance suffered. Wasn't bad going 70 mph unloaded, but when loaded and pulling a trailer, I could not maintain 5th or 6th on minimal inclines. The motor would downshift to 4th. Now that I upgraded to the CRPs, I can hold 5th much longer on steeper inclines. Sort of an apples to oranges comparison though because the CRPs have more volume and flow over stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
DNA Dan
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing