F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 F150 2.7 Adventures; The case of the leaking oil pan. Fault ID'd

Once upon a time (March 21), a guy bought a brand new 2016 F150 w/2.7 twin turbo ecoboost, off the lot with only 6 miles on the Odometer. These were the good times.
Then, less then 90 days later, when said truck was taken to the Ford Fast Lube for its 5000 mile first oil change, the Era of Darkness began. Lo and Behold, the grease monkey found that the entire bottom of the engine was douched with oil. Every other bolt holding the plastic oil pan on had a head of oil on it. Apparently, according to them, the entire back side of the oil pan was leaking. Since I parking in gravel, and it was leaving very tiny drops, it was never noticed. They said it appears it had been leaking since it left the factory.
Now, figuring, I have bought 5 new Fords, 4 F150s and a car, in the last 15 years, my Ford dealer would be all over this. Well, they pretty much shrugged their shoulders and said that the soonest they could get me in was the 29th. I havent had the truck even 90 days, not even the first oil change, and its pretty obvious by looking that this thing has been leaking since the day they sold it to me. You would think they would have told me to bring it in that day so they could make it right. So much for expectations. The only good thing is I really didnt want to drop it off until the 29th due to my schedule, so, that works. But it would have been nice to have been offered something, anything, in lieu of being sold a truck that was leaking when i drove it off the dealers lot.
Anyways, I did some research and apparently this a fair problem on 2015 engines. I couldnt find anything referring to a 2016, but they all pretty much mirrored my story, except in their outcomes.
So, when I get it back from Ford someday, Ill let you folks know how i fared. Alot of the 2015s went back 2 or 3 times and the issue was never fully remidied, so I am a bit nervy on how this will end.
Anyways, I bid you all a great day, and all you 2.7 owners might want to shine a flashlight through that metal plate peep hole under the engine, and see if your oil pan is dry. They glue them on now, and they are plastic. Anyways, FYI to all. Updates will come in a couple weeks.

Reactions: Surfskatesnow22

·
Registered
6,108 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
This is actually the first ive heard of this issue. No leak on my 15.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Lots of 2.7 owners here, and I have to agree that this is the first time I've seen anything about the oil pan leak. However, it seems the '17 3.5's are having some issues with oil pan leaking (at the drain plug I believe).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too, noticed there was nothing on this forum about any 2.7s leaking oil. But, when you google 2.7 ecoboost oil leak, you will see a plethora of them, but all talk about 2015s. One post talks about a tsb on the issue for that year. Nothing about 2016 specific, so, Im hoping mine is just an easy reglue of the oil pan factory fluke, and nothing else. Wont be taking it in until the 29th, but once i know whats going on, Ill let you all know on here. Have a great day!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I thought the leak was from the plastic oil fill thing? nothing else. Seems like a dumb design to me.
This is actually the first ive heard of this issue. No leak on my 15.
I too, noticed there was nothing on this forum about any 2.7s leaking oil. But, when you google 2.7 ecoboost oil leak, you will see a plethora of them, but all talk about 2015s. One post talks about a tsb on the issue for that year. Nothing about 2016 specific, so, Im hoping mine is just an easy reglue of the oil pan factory fluke, and nothing else. Wont be taking it in until the 29th, but once i know whats going on, Ill let you all know on here. Have a great day!
There is actually a few threads on that other f150 forum. I also thought that the plastic drain plug is crappy design. I've been checking my drain plug and undertray for leaks ever since I've heard about it and havent seen anything leaks... Yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greetings all,
So, last night, in lieu of this mornings service appt, I dropped my rig off at the dealers. Same service advisor I have had since 2002. I will get a call tonight with an update. That is, barring the one scenario where they dont look at it today due to ongoing repairs to other vehicles. It happens now and then. Anyways, when I am given a prognosis, I will post it here. I did ask if they had alot of 2.7s having this issue and my buddy told me no, so, hopefully its just a regasketing (re siliconing?) and out the door, as my only vacation of the year starts tomorrow, and I wanted to make the 300 mile run to get an Arby Sandwich sometime in the next week. So, today, its me and 90 EB Bronco. I bid you all a good day....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got the call, they never even got it in to a mechanic. And tomorrow one of their engine guys goes on vacation. So, it looks like my vacation travel will be going down the kiester counter clockwise.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wanted to make the 300 mile run to get an Arby Sandwich sometime in the next week. So, today, its me and 90 EB Bronco. I bid you all a good day....
Man... You must really want an Arbys sandwhich.

Hopefully you'll get your truck fixed quick. Im waiting for my next oil change to see if I find any leaks or seepage underneath.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend,
Yes, I really do want an Arbys. Up here in Fairbanks/North Pole we have McDonalds up the yang, taco bell, carls jr, pizza hut, and subway. It gets old real quick. So, its worth the 600 mile round trip every few months to get some exotic food ....Arbys hahah. And Burger King, and some real eateries.
If I hear anything today Ill update. Have a great day!

Reactions: white_dc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update. Ford 'forgot' to call me friday. I didnt realize it until after the dealership was closed. I waited a month for an appt to fix a problem the truck had when I drove it off the lot. Then I get a call the first day telling me they couldnt even get it in to be looked at, and that they will give me an update the next day. Now, they dont even call me with the update. To say Im not thrilled with the way this is being handled is an understatement. But, when the nearest other Ford dealer is over 300 miles away on the other side of a mountain range, your pretty much at their mercy, and unfortunately, they know it. I didnt even get an 'Im sorry we sold you a truck that was leaking oil as you drove it off the lot, heres a hat. Or anything. It was like, oh well, you need to get in line with everyone else, and wait a month. At this rate ill be waiting longer to get it fixed, then I had it before we found the oil leak. And of course, its my only vacation of the summer, and I get to do it without my new truck. I sure hate it when its my turn on the wheel of life to get the whammy. Ill update whenever I finally hear something. Have a great holiday!

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's a whole different world up there for what's available nearby. When I was service manager, I had a notebook next to the phone for all the things like updates that had to be done before closing. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Greetings all,
Well my service advisor called and talked to the wife while i was out walking the dog. After profusely apologizing for forgetting to call Friday, he said that it needed a new oil pan and seals, ( the wife said seals. Im not sure if they said that, gaskets, or what, since its a glued on pan, but Ill find out in the end) and that they were shooting for having it done Friday. They also offered me a rental car again. I declined it. I have 2 backup vehicles, and it would actually be more of a hassle just to get the rental then to use my own. I am curious as to whether the oil pan failed, was defective or what. I will find that out as well. And let you all know. So, that is where this is. Not happy with the way it was handled from the get-go, but in the end, I just want it fixed and back on the road. The ironic part of all this, is that one of our reasons for buying the new truck was to have something more reliable then my 2 25+ year old backups, that are at the point in life that something fails regularly due to age. Yet, so far, this new truck has been out of commission, not counting the month wait to get in, longer then both my backups downtime since i owned them, combined. Sweet, sweet Irony....
Anyways, A great 4th of July to everyone! I bid you all a great day, and will update after I get the truck back.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,472 Posts
Man, sorry to hear about all the troubles, what a pain in the butt. Hopefully they get you taken care of right and the first time and that'll be last issue for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greetings all,
The service advisor called back because my wife told him i would call and i hadnt got through yet. When i asked him what was wrong with the oil pan, he said they didnt know, they had not even removed it. Fords protocol is, that when you see this leak, you order such and such parts, and replace them and see if it fixes it. He also said the oil pan was 2 piece. I had never heard of that before, but he said they had been doing it with diesels for a few years. So, thats where we are at. They even offered to give me the truck back, and bring it back in when the parts showed up. But, they said that would also delay the repair, to which i laughed, and said I dont want the truck back until its fixed. Way too much hassle to go pick up, only to return when parts show up, and then be delayed more. They said if the truck is there, and the parts show up I might get it back friday. I figure middle next week, but either way, not worth the hassle when i have my bronco and f350 that are more then delighted to be a daily driver again for a while.
Updates as they occur. Hope you all had a great holiday!

Reactions: bespurcell

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So,
Last time you remember, I got a call last Monday, with apologies for not calling the friday before to update the status. They tell me theres a good chance the rig will be done Friday. Last Friday. So, guess what? Here it is Monday, a week since the last call, and ......nothing. No updates no nothing. They told me they would call Friday to let me know what the status was one way or the other, and, for the 2nd week in a row, they blew me off. Worst customer service experience in the last 15 years of dealing with this dealership. And, considering i have been dealing with the same service advisor for over a decade, Im really bummed at how this is panning out. I was sold a defective oil leaking truck from day one, when its found, oh well, wait a month for an appt, and now, 2 weeks in the shop, no fix, no calls, no....customer service. I wonder if they will bother to call me today to tell me they are still waiting on parts, or whatever. Im almost regretting this truck purchase. Well, maybe they will call today and say it fixed....hahahaha i couldnt say that with a straight face. But if it happens ill let folks know.
Anyways, my sad rant is over for today. I bid you all a great day!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This nightmare just wont end. I waited 8 days for them to call, 8. They said they would call last Friday. Nothing. Monday Nothing. Yesterday, nothing. So at 5:30 last night, i call them and give them a rash about not calling. They completely ignore that, and say, oh, its done and coming out of the bay right now, let me go talk to the tech. Then its, yeah, its done. But, since the service manager has to do a quality control check and a test drive, to all the rigs done that day, there wont be time to get mine done, as usual, so, we will call you first thing in the morning when its been inspected, and ready to go. Well, its 4 hours past first thing in the morning, and still nothing. I cannot believe the complete lack of updates and contact, considering they have had this truck almost 2 weeks. In that time, I got one call. One. I had to call them both other times, the last, after 8 days, to even find out whats going on. And now, they tell me its done, but their just too busy to inspect the work. I cannot wait to get that letter from Ford asking me about my most recent experience with their service dept, because Im going to rip them a new asshole. I have never been so left out of the loop on a car in the shop ever, in my 40 plus years of owning cars. They certainly let me fall through the cracks. And in the end, I doubt anything will come of it. All I want, is the truck back, and to never have to deal with their service dept again, Gods of auto repair willing. Anyways, if I ever get it back, or get any more info, ill let you all know.
Despite all this, i bid you all a great day!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It wasnt just the oil pan.

UPDATE:
So, I finally get a call from Ford telling me that the rig is ready. Since throwing a hissy fit will do nothing, I said, ok great. Can you tell me why the thing was leaking oil? Was it a pan defect or what? He reads the sheet, and says that, in addition to a new oil pan, they had to replace the rear main bearing seal. Well thats the last thing I would have guessed would leak at 5000 miles, but since I have no idea of its design in these 2.7s, for all I know it might be part of the 2 piece oil pan. Anyways, I will be picking it up after work, and then, when I have the paperwork in hand, ill post everything they did.
Wanted to keep folks updated.
I bid you all a great day.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.