F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
2015 going in for second new oil pan tomorrow. Takes about three days once they get started. Ford has a service bulletin on this issue. If you look up 2.7 oil leak you will find several post. Dealer tells me it's a percentage game .One out of a thousand or so no worries for Ford.
If enough people have the problem I expect to see a class action suit. 7 Ford's and this will be the last.
Ya really. Couple drips of oil on a driveway? Guess you never owned anything pre 1990? They pretty much all lubricated them selves outside of the engines hahha.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Curious if you worked directly with Ford on the buy back or the dealership? I go in for my 3rd oil pan next week and I've read at 4 it hits lemon law rules. The dealership I'm working with isn't where the truck was originally purchased, so their willingness to do anything for me on their dime would be minimal! At what point does one bring up replacing the engine? 3rd? 4th? 10th? Haha

·
Premium Member
9,057 Posts
It's a known issue with some of them.

Don't want to sound insensitive, but I'd swap a repeat leaky oil pan for almost every other issue that an Ecoboost might suffer.

It's a nuisance for sure. But unthreatening.

Or put another way, I'd love to have a 200,000 mile lifespan of an Ecoboost and report it as trouble free except a repeat leaky oil pan gasket.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's a known issue with some of them.

Don't want to sound insensitive, but I'd swap a repeat leaky oil pan for almost every other issue that an Ecoboost might suffer.

It's a nuisance for sure. But unthreatening.

Or put another way, I'd love to have a 200,000 mile lifespan of an Ecoboost and report it as trouble free except a repeat leaky oil pan gasket.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I totally agree! I've loved the thing outside of this, and this has been my only issue with it. It just also sounds like it could, in theory, be a CONSTANT problem going forward possibly until Ford gives a green light to replace the block. I want this next trip to the dealership to be the last related to the issue, and I am sure they do too since it's not my dime. I fear that if I don't suggest something more than what they've done before this go around, I am going to be back...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the oil pan replaced on my 2016 2.7 ecoboost.
Noticed oil spots on the drive so took it back to have it checked(getting new brakes anyway) and the oil pan wasn't leaking this time. The front engine cover is. This will cost upwards of $1600 to fix, which also includes replacing that oil pan again as part of the process.
Did some searching online and this also seems to be a known issue with these trucks but no service bulletin has been issued regarding this leak. I also had the door latch replaced prior to the recall.
Last Ford I think I'll be buying.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Is $1600 worth a few oil drops?

Not in my books. Smear some right stuff on it and run it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just took my 2016 2.7 eco boost to ford about the oil pan leak 38000 miles. Told me they cleaned up the oil pan and block and put dye in the oil. Said they could not find a leak. I crawled under and took a pic of the block and pan. Looks like it’s been leaking before the clean up. Anyone else agree?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Just took my 2016 2.7 eco boost to ford about the oil pan leak 38000 miles. Told me they cleaned up the oil pan and block and put dye in the oil. Said they could not find a leak. I crawled under and took a pic of the block and pan. Looks like it’s been leaking before the clean up. Anyone else agree?
Do you get it undercoated?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I'm going to say that's oil drip down from undercoating. The more oil underneath the less rust and corrosion lol!

·
Registered
6 Posts
But wouldn’t it be in other places Rather than right where the pan meets the block? I don’t see underspray anywhere around the block. Because it is protected by the underpan

·
Registered
5,966 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
That’s what I want them to do but they are telling me it’s not leaking at all. Of course they wouldn’t let me look under it at the dealership So I had to wait until I got home to check it. I’m just curious on other people thoughts if that doesn’t look like it’s been leaking around the block and they just cleaned it off

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry if this is a bit off topic. I recently looked at and drove a 2015 with the 2.7L and really liked the truck, until I saw the oil pan covered with oil.

The truck is out of warranty so any replacement of the oil pan would be coming out of my pocket. So my question is, typically how bad is it to have the oil pan seepage? Is there significant loss in the amount of oil between changes, or nothing more than a messy oil pan? Is it worth the expensive to have it replaced, with the uncertainty that the replacement will fix any future seepage?

Thanks in advance, coming from a non-Ford owner, but really liked the performance of the ecoboost.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts