F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After developing a whine at ~45 mph under light acceleration, ford went in and replaced the pinion bearing + associated parts ( crush sleeve, seals, etc.) now twice, its going to be ready for pickup today at the local dealer. I asked if they would replace the gears as well, as others have reported this fixed their issue, but they will only do it if they are out of tolerance (understood, but come on). I think if the truck starts whining again I'm going to have to pressure Ford to replace the rear end. How many times will they go through the same repair in the last 10k miles before replacing the axle assembly? If a bearing keeps wearing out, surely there is going to be metal contamination everytime and they arent replacing every bearing/wear surface. The truck has an easy life, a little light towing on the weekends and no water intrusion.

If this happens again (and I have a feeling it will, making the same repair repeatedly only 7-10k miles apart) I really would like to have this issue taken care of before my warranty is up. And to be truthful, they never really got it 100% fixed, even after the repairs it still whined under acceleration. I have to go without my truck for almost a week at a time. What should I do if it comes back?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Little update: Picked up truck a few minutes ago, aaaand it still sounds the same (whining under throttle). Tech notes say: after tear down, found pinion bearing pitted. So apparently it went from new to "pitted" in 7,200 miles. The first repair found carrier bearings scored and pinion bearing worn. I dont know what is eating up these bearings so fast and I dont think they care to find out.. I guess I will open a case with Ford.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
You should have Oasis in your favor!

In some states they would be taking a risk not repairing it PERMANENTLY a third time, if you know what I mean. The customer would have grounds for a lemon law procedure.

All for the lack of common sense on the rear differential? Crazy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ford Corporate has opened a case and advised me to try another local dealer, and to connect the service adviser to the Ford Rep handling the case when I drop it off.

Its gotten to a point, how many more times can the axle shafts be taken out and reinstalled without changing the seals and not start leaking (they havent replaced them each time)? lol. Or metal contaminated oil from the failing pinion bearing be run through the ring and pinion gears, axle shaft bearings, etc.

It will be interesting to see how Ford handles this!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Yikes yep something is quite wrong! That rear gear set isn't set up correctly then.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like some part isn’t concentric in the axel assembly . I’d push for a whole unit .

Reminds me of my 6.0PSD that kept ruining rear main seals

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like some part isn’t concentric in the axel assembly . I’d push for a whole unit .

Reminds me of my 6.0PSD that kept ruining rear main seals

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly!! I'm going to pressure them for a new rear end assembly. Whatever happened with the 6.0?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts