F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to give the community some good E85 data on my last thread but was having issues with my chassis dyno so I stopped messing with the truck for a while. I’m finally taking delivery of my Hub dyno tomorrow so will finally be able to get some good tuning and testing done.

I have just added VMP plug and play fuel pump booster and so far looks like fuel flow is good for full E85. Current mods are:

Drop in air filter
Mbrp 4” cat back
VMP fuel pump booster
E85 fuel

Want to see what she makes now then add parts and see what before and after does. Will be getting upgraded turbos from Gearhead tuning as well. Stay tuned and hopefully I will have more to post within a few days.

Pic of dynos leaving facility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't that about $100K sitting on those two pallets?
No these are the mid level 3500 series. They are about 50k depending on what accessories you get with them. Luckily the fine people at Dynocom were able to sell my chassis dyno for me so I broke even on these. Dynocom makes most of their parts in house so their dynos are less expensive but still high quality.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the fuel pump booster do? Is that for the in tank or the HPFP fuel pump?
Woo boost is correct. The vmp bumps voltage to a constant 18v no matter the input voltage. Seems to be working so far and I still have DI/PI at 50/50 fuel delivery. Will be really nice if I don’t have to upgrade port injectors, no I’m curious haw far just the booster will go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a commanded fuel flow/voltage table. Basically runs a little less voltage to pump when fuel flow demand is low. I upped that table so that it was 14v all the time but even with stock calibration with the booster the fuel pump would get 18v no matter what.

·
Registered
215 Posts
subbed in for this. ive seen many newer di/pi vettes or better. not much gained past e70 power wise..... i know im at 18* on e50. curious how full e85 and closer to 20* would look power wise.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I’m not expecting much to be gained from E85 vs e50 I just get tired of having to mix at the pump. I do think it will handle the heat a little better and might be able to take a few more degrees of timing. I will keep y’all posted. Should have it on dyno this week. I’m finishing up the wiring and what not then I’ll be ready to throw it on there and start tuning.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My brother sees as much as 21 degrees on his e50 tune, but is also running 100 octane pump to mix it. It's really only for moments at a time really, the norm is about 18-19. With my meth I'm about the same. I'm sure you guys can manage the same 20-21 with e70+, we'll also be testing this. Interested to see the rest of your build with the Gearhead turbos!

·
Registered
147 Posts
21 degrees of timing is past MBT. Probably going to pop the head gasket with that kind of timing. It won't knock, just lift the head probably.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m headed back into town so should have truck on dyno in a few days. Not knowing what MBT timing is is main reason I haven’t pushed timing and kept it around 17-18. I’ll slowly up timing till it stops making power then lower it 2 degrees for safety. I’m also going play with boost from about 14psi to 19 psi and see at what point I get diminishing returns as far as both power and heat from turbos. Right now I have it sitting at about 18psi and it seems like a good number but I want to verify on dyno.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is the only one I could dig up quick, this was a DYNO (not street) pull that hit 20 degrees. If I can find the 21 degrees graph I'll post it. Generally, he's floating between 18-19 on a very consistent basis.

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 8.34.50 AM.png

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just curious, does E85 affect our timing chain tensioners like on the early gt500s? or are these made from different matriel?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve been running e50 for about the last year and now will be at E85-e90 so I guess we will see if anything negative happens.

The controller box on dyno is having issues, I will have new one tomorrow. Im going get truck bolted to dyno today and try and make a few pulls. I can still
Run the dyno just won’t have the remote so will
Have to control dyno through software.

Just filled up with second tank of E85 at the Sunoco a few miles away. Their E85 always test higher than E85, this tank is about e90. Will update later

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get some data logs for me, I would love to see them!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I’ve been running e50 for about the last year and now will be at E85-e90 so I guess we will see if anything negative happens.

The controller box on dyno is having issues, I will have new one tomorrow. Im going get truck bolted to dyno today and try and make a few pulls. I can still
Run the dyno just won’t have the remote so will
Have to control dyno through software.

Just filled up with second tank of E85 at the Sunoco a few miles away. Their E85 always test higher than E85, this tank is about e90. Will update later

The e-85 I get tests at 90% as well. It's a nice surprise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts