F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 10 speed 3.5 EB with an ongoing oil leak. It has been to the dealer for cam phaser and the oil leak. The rear main was replaced due to them thinking it was that causing the leak. Didn't fix it, brought it back and they then told me the front timing cover was not sealed correctly. Redid the front timing cover and again it is leaking. Truck is out of warranty. Any other ideas? oil pan looks dry (left side of photo) and the leak runs down onto the front stabilizer bar.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
1,009 Posts
In my experience with the G1 engine that is the oil pan itself that is leaking.

At the very back of the pan where it meets the rear of the engine/bell housing.

On mine it was the simple fact that there was not enough sealant placed on the pan when it was installed.

It does however appear that you have the notoriously leak prone plastic multi piece pan. You can obtain the one piece aluminum pan from RMB racing. Last I checked it was under $200.

Surprised the dealer did not address it while it was in there, as it is clearly a known issue. Also if they removed the trans it is easily observed…

It is a pain in the rear to address yourself without proper equipment and patience as it requires dropping the front differential (4WD) enough for clearance, removal of the pan, cleaning gasket surfaces, reinstalling, waiting for it to set, etc.

Tapatalk - it’s like bacon, for your phone.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
This is very common. Very common. Mine is doing it and has been since the truck was like 2 years old(almost 7 YO now).

If its not the oil pan like Tango said, I believe the vacuum pump is up on the back of the passenger side head and I believe that is a known leak point as well.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I was actually thinking it was the rear main seal. Those are notorious for leaking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also check the back corner of the valve cover gasket, it’s hard to see but when my 2019 was new and only had a few thousand miles on it I noticed oil in the same location as yours and i thought the rear main seal was leaking. I looked closer and noticed it was leaking at the back of the valve cover and was tracing the whole way down around the starter and to where the transmission bolts to the engine. I tightened up the valve cover bolts and it’s been dry since then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also check the back corner of the valve cover gasket, it’s hard to see but when my 2019 was new and only had a few thousand miles on it I noticed oil in the same location as yours and i thought the rear main seal was leaking. I looked closer and noticed it was leaking at the back of the valve cover and was tracing the whole way down around the starter and to where the transmission bolts to the engine. I tightened up the valve cover bolts and it’s been dry since then.
I'm gonna have to look into that, the area around the starter is wet as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last night I looked and the oil seems to be pooling above the coolant tree and below the throttle body. I'm assuming that area of the timing cover is still leaking. Gonna try another dealer and see if this can be resolved. It is out of warranty but after 3 attempts to stop the leak, I would think Ford could still warranty the previous work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I joined this forum bc I’ve had a persistent oil leak that I finally found…thanks to posts on this forum….check the valve covers!…the plastic valve covers get hairline cracks. I’ve never had any work done on mine (not even Cam phasers) so the VCs have never been removed…yet the drivers side valve cover has a hairline crack that seeps oil all the way down to the pan. I’m hoping JB Weld will hold the leak for now…I see a VC replacement in my future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts