F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with them overheating while pulling a camping trailer? I have a 2017 with the new Gen 2 3.5 Ecoboost with the new 10 speed transmission and the Max tow package. It is rated to tow 11,900 pounds but has problems towing my 5,100 pound empty trailer. The coolant gets to 235 on flat ground and hits 252 on the hills. When it hits 252 the computer turns off the turbos and reduces power to bring the coolant temp back down. My old F-150 had the 5.4 and was only rated to tow 9,800 pound and had no problems with the same trailer on the same hills.

Here is a video of it happening. It is kind of long. The first part shows it hot on flat ground. The middle shows it reducing power going up a hill. And the end shows the trailer hooked to it.

https://youtu.be/CPmJDdFwMvo

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Try a different dealer. Sometimes you just need someone with the right experience.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Not sure in the new trucks but I hear a lot of folks, including myself, have troubles with the 2011-2014's. Mine got very hot towing my 5500 lb gvwr trailer up to Idaho 2 weekends ago.

Some of it is just the fact that the travel trailers all experience similar air drag, so the weight doesn't really matter.

What was the outside air temp and altitude when you had the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
What^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?????????. There are a ton of people towing very heavy loads with 11-14's that have zero issues including myself. Ecoboost engines have a great reputation for towing because of those years ecoboosts. Look at the towing thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure in the new trucks but I hear a lot of folks, including myself, have troubles with the 2011-2014's. Mine got very hot towing my 5500 lb gvwr trailer up to Idaho 2 weekends ago.

Some of it is just the fact that the travel trailers all experience similar air drag, so the weight doesn't really matter.

What was the outside air temp and altitude when you had the issue?

You are correct. I think it is the air drag. The temps ranged from 68 and raining to 110 and sunny. The outside temp really didn't matter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My F150 FX4 3.5 (3k miles) with the tow package runs 230F++ without towing anything in the city. When it goes upward of 240 the turbo cuts power. It's in the shop today.

If you run in sport mode around the city (or turn off the eco) what temperature do you see?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My F150 FX4 3.5 (3k miles) with the tow package runs 230F++ without towing anything in the city. When it goes upward of 240 the turbo cuts power. It's in the shop today.

If you run in sport mode around the city (or turn off the eco) what temperature do you see?
What year is your truck? I don't have any problems at any time other than pulling my camper. It pulls my tiny motorcycle trailer and 18 foot boat with single axle trailer just fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed!

My issue was fixed after they replaced a heat censor and a gasket on the water pump (gasket was folded at factory). They are also replacing the "idle" pump this week (was burnt due to low coolant).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 max tow package and I have been pulling a 7200 lb trailer loaded to about 9,000 lbs .I have never experienced this until this weekend going up a couple large hills. Last fall
Ford replaced the turbos and this year timing chain and exhaust manifold and a couple coils.Truck doesn't run quit the same since turbos were replaced. For example previously it would cruise up hills in 2nd gaining speed,now it has all it can do to get up the same hill.So i'm also looking for answers on this and much more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my truck back last night. They changed the radiator. During the last 2 weeks that they had the truck ford had them measure the temperature difference of the coolant going in and coming out of the radiator. The techs thought it was fine but Ford didn't. They rechecked the temp differences again with the new radiator and Ford liked those numbers better. I will be testing the truck out this weekend with the same trailer on the same hills and will report back.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
What^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?????????. There are a ton of people towing very heavy loads with 11-14's that have zero issues including myself. Ecoboost engines have a great reputation for towing because of those years ecoboosts. Look at the towing thread.
Take a look at the towing section yourself, a ton of people have been reporting overheating in the 11-14 trucks including folks with the upgraded FullRace radiator. There was several threads about it in the last few months(cause its summer I assume). If you aren't towing at altitude, in the mountains, and in 95+ degree temps then maybe it's not an issue for you, but it is for a lot of people:

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/17-f150-ecoboost-towing/49001-upgrade-radiator-cac-towing.html

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/17-f150-ecoboost-towing/47273-2011-ecoboost-high-coolant-trans-temps-towing-8000-trailer-5-grade.html

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/17-f150-ecoboost-towing/46425-coolant-temps-when-towing.html

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/17-f150-ecoboost-towing/48449-high-trans-temp.html

Mine personally would run at 225 on flats and would quickly climb to the point that the gauge was swinging far right on hills.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I watched the OP's video and the temperature display above the temp gauge confuses me. I've had my '17 for about a month and I don't recall ever seeing the numerical display. I have a Lariat with the same digital display as in the video. I have not had my truck in tow-haul mode yet. Does tow-haul mode turn it on?

I don't have my '17 today so I can't check it now. I drove my '98 today since it's the last time I can drive it to work before it leaves the barn for good. I got 19 years of service out of it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It shows the numbers when it reaches a certain temperature (225f or something). It can also be turned on permanently with forscan software.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well ford put a new radiator in on Wednesday. On Friday I took it up the same hill as the video with much better results. This time the trailer and truck were loaded. I probably had an extra 1200 pounds. I didn't have any problems at 65 on flat ground. Before it would run in the low 230's at that speed. I didn't have any problems at 75 on flat ground. Before it would run in the 240's at that speed. I didn't have any problems on the shorter hills. On the one big hill from the video going up to sunset point it did start to get warm about 3/4 of the way up. By the top of the hill I was at 244 degrees. It did not shut the turbos off which happens at 252. I had a friend in a Honda Ridgeline without a trailer following me and he had a hard time keeping up with me on the hill. Power was awesome and I was not wide open. About half throttle. The outside temp was 15 degrees cooler but I had more weight. On one more long hill I pushed it real hard (wide open for awhile) and got it up to the 240s again but still not until the top and not enough to shut off the turbos. I would say it is 90% better and probably acceptable now.

At what point do you guys think it would be acceptable? I won't be able to try it at the higher temps again until next summer.

I'm also attaching an image of my receipt showing Fords numbers justifying the changing of the radiator and the new numbers saying it is good now. The new numbers make sense to me but the old don't. how could the coolant be coming out hotter than it went it?

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Glad to see they improved the situation on your truck. You're at least back to the same place as the rest of us. I've been really curious if anything had changed on the 2nd Gen Ecoboost regarding the cooling system, but it looks like things are the same.

My 2013 peaks out around 240F coolant and 230F tranny before my nerve runs out and I pull over. Generally involves a long steep hill and high ambient temperatures. Towing a 7500 brick of a toy-hauler.

What is your trans temperature during these high coolant temp events?

Anyone have a picture of the intercooler on these 2nd gen motors? I know that was one source of some of the overheating on the 11-14 trucks although I don't seem to remember seeing any definite answers as to whether upgrading the IC actually helps or not.

Miss my superduty when towing with it's 220F coolant and 190F tranny temps, but don't miss driving it empty the rest of the time!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
From watching Live data on Torque Pro on my 13, I can say there is a direct correlation between high boost and high coolant temps. Our turbos are water cooled, which means when you are sustaining higher boost, the coolant temps also rise. I lockout upper gears as needed when towing to keep boost in check. Anytime you're under heavy load at lower rpms, the boost will rise substantially. I like to keep it minimum 3k rpm when climbing hills.
I've never had any issues with mine, but my TT is only 5500lbs plus gear and ppl in truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
"What is your trans temperature during these high coolant temp events?"

My trans temperature always stayed nice and low. Not sure the number but normal. It never rose and still doesn't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"From watching Live data on Torque Pro on my 13, I can say there is a direct correlation between high boost and high coolant temps. Our turbos are water cooled, which means when you are sustaining higher boost, the coolant temps also rise. I lockout upper gears as needed when towing to keep boost in check. Anytime you're under heavy load at lower rpms, the boost will rise substantially. I like to keep it minimum 3k rpm when climbing hills.
I've never had any issues with mine, but my TT is only 5500lbs plus gear and ppl in truck."

Mine seems to heat up faster at higher RPM's. The boost will be high at both low and high RPM's. The Gen II makes 2.5 PSI more boost than the Gen I but I think they kept the radiator the same. My trailer is 5,000 empty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think your motor is going to be long for life if you keep pushing it to 240+ degrees.
I too am worried about longevity. I've seen 252 degrees way too many times already. I'm trying to get Ford to either buy it back or give me a long mileage warranty.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts