F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Explorer is at the dealership getting a new differential, because of failed clutch packs. It only has 20K on the clock, but started making a groaning noise. Quick diagnosis, but 3 days for parts to arrive and another day+ to repair.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s too bad. What pumpkin do those have? 8.8 equivalent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great question. Unfortunately, Ford does not share all the specification details on non-trucks, that the SD/F Series have out there. I pretty much only know it is a 3.65 non-LS diff.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I’ll be curious on how it goes. The Wife wants to trade in the X5 for the Sport next summer.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Are you talking about the PTU for the all wheel drive?

Those things fail all the time on the FWD based fords with awd because the exhaust runs right next to it and it heats up fluid and it does not have that much fluid in it. You gotta drain the fluid every 15k and itll be fine. It has a fill and drain plug on it, real easy to do.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the rear diff.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Are you talking about the PTU for the all wheel drive?

Those things fail all the time on the FWD based fords with awd because the exhaust runs right next to it and it heats up fluid and it does not have that much fluid in it. You gotta drain the fluid every 15k and itll be fine. It has a fill and drain plug on it, real easy to do.
The new explorer is RWD based.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts