F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I installed an after market trailer brake controller and used Forscan to enable it. My truck already had the tow package but just didn't have the trailer brake controller. I can adjust the gain up and down and the display will show the value being changed. After a couple of days if the truck isn't driven the battery will be dead and when I re-charge the battery I will get a Trailer Brake Controller Module fault. As long as I leave it with the fault, the battery will not go dead again. However, if I clear the fault and re-enable the Trailer Brake Controller Module then the same thing will happen again.

Also, when I connect my trailer the truck recognizes that a trailer is connected and all of the lights work. Except that when I adjust the gain the display will say no trailer connected for the trailer brake control when it shows the new gain setting and when I engage the trailer brake manually it doesn't appear to work. I returned the first one of these brake controllers for this issue and got a replacement but still have the same problem.

So I am not sure if I have a problem with the wiring, relay, or other control module on my truck or if this after-market company's product is just junk. I am trying to decide whether to take it somewhere, to buy a different company's trailer brake controller module, or get some completely different trailer brake controller. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

An after market brake controller does not require anything else. Activating the brake controller module is probably confusing things. When using an aftermarket controller, there is no interface with the truck.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
An after market brake controller does not require anything else. Activating the brake controller module is probably confusing things. When using an aftermarket controller, there is no interface with the truck.
I wasn't clear. It is a 3rd party trailer brake controller module just like the OEM module from Ford. It plugs directly into the connector behind the dash. You have to take the dash apart to install it. Except it's cheaper, which may be that I am getting what I paid for.

My bad...I didn't realize you were talking about an OEM knockoff. I thought you were talking about a Tekonsha or Reese or other after market controller. Carry on.

I’ve found the electronic systems on these newer trucks to be very sensitive.

I installed a 60” brake lite that went under the tailgate. I’ve used them before. After I plugged it in to the 4 flat connector weird things happened. The dash monitor that shows the truck when the reverse camera is on showed a little trailer behind the truck. I got a message that the backup sensors were turned off because there was a trailer attached. There was not.

So, I simply unplugged the strip light and removed it. All was well again.

Then, a week later my battery went dead at 2,000 miles...not sure if there was any connection or not but I’m not messing with anything electrical. Ugh

I bought the factory controller from Amazon 1.5 years ago for my 2018 2.7 for $110 and have had no issues.

I installed a 60” brake lite that went under the tailgate. I’ve used them before. After I plugged it in to the 4 flat connector weird things happened. The dash monitor that shows the truck when the reverse camera is on showed a little trailer behind the truck. I got a message that the backup sensors were turned off because there was a trailer attached. There was not.
The newer trucks detect a trailer by the trailer wiring plug. If anything is plugged into the trailer plug ( a trailer, a light bar, a light tester) it will think a trailer is connected and change some settings. I hard wired my light bar into my brake lights with no issues and that allowed the reverse lights to work too.

I bought the factory controller from Amazon 1.5 years ago for my 2018 2.7 for $110 and have had no issues.

The newer trucks detect a trailer by the trailer wiring plug. If anything is plugged into the trailer plug ( a trailer, a light bar, a light tester) it will think a trailer is connected and change some settings. I hard wired my light bar into my brake lights with no issues and that allowed the reverse lights to work too.
Was it the Ensun JL3Z2C006AA ?
Thanks

Did you ever get this resolved? I’ve had a 2017 F-150 for a month, and battery has been dead 3 times. I installed the trailer brake like you did (behind the dash) and had the dealership sync it. O’Reilly said my battery was good. Took the truck to Ford and they said the battery was bad and the positive terminal on the truck end, was too. $240 for new battery. Now, a week later, it’s dead. Supposed to bring it in tomorrow. Could I have messed up something in the dash? I don’t remember touching any wires.

I installed an after market trailer brake controller and used Forscan to enable it. My truck already had the tow package but just didn't have the trailer brake controller. I can adjust the gain up and down and the display will show the value being changed. After a couple of days if the truck isn't driven the battery will be dead and when I re-charge the battery I will get a Trailer Brake Controller Module fault. As long as I leave it with the fault, the battery will not go dead again. However, if I clear the fault and re-enable the Trailer Brake Controller Module then the same thing will happen again.

Also, when I connect my trailer the truck recognizes that a trailer is connected and all of the lights work. Except that when I adjust the gain the display will say no trailer connected for the trailer brake control when it shows the new gain setting and when I engage the trailer brake manually it doesn't appear to work. I returned the first one of these brake controllers for this issue and got a replacement but still have the same problem.

So I am not sure if I have a problem with the wiring, relay, or other control module on my truck or if this after-market company's product is just junk. I am trying to decide whether to take it somewhere, to buy a different company's trailer brake controller module, or get some completely different trailer brake controller. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same problem.

Did you ever resolve the issue? I am having the same issues with my 2017.

Reviving this thread.
Learn from my expensive mistake. Bought an oe knock off brake controller on eBay, didn’t think too much of it.
Ended up killing my year old Odyssey Extreme battery.
The truck would go into deep sleep mode every 2-3 days, I thought it was my dash-cam.
after hooking up my multimeter to watch for amp draw, noticed something drew .6 amp after truck had gone to sleep. At this point I was sort of suspecting brake controller as the truck is otherwise stock.
Sure enough, pulled the fuse, amp draw would go down to 0.01. Repeated the test to make sure and its definitely eBay brake controller.
Anyway, just ordered OE brake controller.
Don’t be dumb like me, but once, cry once.

Reviving this thread.
Learn from my expensive mistake. Bought an oe knock off brake controller on eBay, didn’t think too much of it.
Ended up killing my year old Odyssey Extreme battery.
The truck would go into deep sleep mode every 2-3 days, I thought it was my dash-cam.
after hooking up my multimeter to watch for amp draw, noticed something drew .6 amp after truck had gone to sleep. At this point I was sort of suspecting brake controller as the truck is otherwise stock.
Sure enough, pulled the fuse, amp draw would go down to 0.01. Repeated the test to make sure and its definitely eBay brake controller.
Anyway, just ordered OE brake controller.
Don’t be dumb like me, but once, cry once.
Strongbad? As in Homestar Runner?

Reactions: Strongbad
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.