F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost and a 10 speed transmission. I do not tow a trailer.

I wanted to share that with less than 12,000 miles, I was getting a grinding noise in the front end. It sounded like something was out of round and the noise never went away. It was easier to hear when I was driving under 10mph and the out of round grinding was less apparent when I was driving over 10mph. The noise was only present when the truck was moving and didn't matter if it was in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

My local Ford Dealership was able to diagnosis it using an electronic stethoscope that pinpointed where the noise was actually coming from. It turned out to be the front differential bearings and race that were completely worn out.

IMG_1204.JPG

Hopefully this helps someone having the same issue.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: RonH

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
And thanks for the contribution WITH pic. (some of us, ME, need to see to grasp)

Reactions: RonH

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a steady noise that never went away but very apparent under 10mph. When I went faster, the noise evened out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost and a 10 speed transmission. I do not tow a trailer.

I wanted to share that with less than 12,000 miles, I was getting a grinding noise in the front end. It sounded like something was out of round and the noise never went away. It was easier to hear when I was driving under 10mph and the out of round grinding was less apparent when I was driving over 10mph. The noise was only present when the truck was moving and didn't matter if it was in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

My local Ford Dealership was able to diagnosis it using an electronic stethoscope that pinpointed where the noise was actually coming from. It turned out to be the front differential bearings and race that were completely worn out.

View attachment 128850

Hopefully this helps someone having the same issue.

Ron
I have the same issue. They’ve ordered the parts and it’s covered under warranty but it won’t be fixed until I’m back from a hunting trip (3500 Miles) in three weeks. Is this condition safe to drive with? Mechanic says I will be fine but I can’t help worrying that I’ll breakdown in the middle of nowhere. Any thoughts?

·
Modinstrator
2,714 Posts
I wouldn’t go back woodsin’ anywhere with a differential that is on it’s last legs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just took my 2018 F150 (v8) in to the dealer with 55K miles on it and a steady low speed grinding noise in the front. They changed out the IWE's on both sides and then realized it was in fact the front differential. It's been about 5 days and its still being fixed, but covered by the warranty. Crazy that such a low milage, 99.5% highway driven truck could have a completely worn out front dif.

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
"Worn Out" might not be the best description, since the mileage is so low? Factory defect somewhere would make more sense.

Of course it doesn't make much difference, I admit.

Did you have many miles in 4WD? I ask because so few folks, on average, do. I, on the other hand, have been in 4A for about 25,000 of the 32,000 that's on my current truck.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,645 Posts
I just took my 2018 F150 (v8) in to the dealer with 55K miles on it and a steady low speed grinding noise in the front. They changed out the IWE's on both sides and then realized it was in fact the front differential. It's been about 5 days and its still being fixed, but covered by the warranty. Crazy that such a low milage, 99.5% highway driven truck could have a completely worn out front dif.
Unheard of !
Sorry bout your luck.
Good news is, you found us 👊🏼
Welcome to the forum !

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
"Worn Out" might not be the best description, since the mileage is so low? Factory defect somewhere would make more sense.

Of course it doesn't make much difference, I admit.

Did you have many miles in 4WD? I ask because so few folks, on average, do. I, on the other hand, have been in 4A for about 25,000 of the 32,000 that's on my current truck.

Call corporate and tell em you're testin their 4A for em 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
7,663 Posts
Call corporate and tell em you're testin their 4A for em
They included the switch on the dash. I'm not apologizin for using it. Honestly, AWD on a pickup truck is awesome. Especially in any kind of weather. They should put that same 4A gear on all trim levels. It can't be that much more $ at the manufacturing level.

And I'm betting it's a bit like living in an RV VS using one occasionally. All the appliances and accessories actually last longer because they aren't being stored or unused. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Sounds good to me. Green with envy here. Son has 4A also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't use 4wd that often, but I do put it in 4A every time rains and I'm driving around town. Is that what you guys think caused it?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I don't use 4wd that often, but I do put it in 4A every time rains and I'm driving around town. Is that what you guys think caused it?
Nah. That's normal use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts