F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 F150 3.5 EB 6.5 bed with max trailer tow package. I just bought a tow behind camper that weighs 8900 lbs. on take off or acceleration I have a vibration/shutter through the rear/ towards the center of the truck. Once up to highway speed it’s gone. Maintaining speed it’s not there. Only when starting and it really depends on how I get on it. Has anyone experienced this and if so what corrections can be made, if any. FORD says this truck can tow - and I’m not even at the MAX tow limitations. I was using a WDH as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you are talking about the slight vibration or shudder at take off when you have a heavy load or heavy trailer, it's covered in your owners manual.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It's usually a result of the rear driveshaft and/or axle wrap, which is when the axle twists under the leaf springs from the torque. It's more common in the 157" truck due to them using a two piece rear shaft I believe.

Mine kind of does it, but not bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's usually a result of the rear driveshaft and/or axle wrap, which is when the axle twists under the leaf springs from the torque. It's more common in the 157" truck due to them using a two piece rear shaft I believe.

Mine kind of does it, but not bad.
Is there a fix?

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
My 2009 157” truck did it and my 2016 157” truck does it. Axle wrap. Take off a bit slower until you get past that resonance. You could also try roadmaster active suspension as it has helped some folks.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Super Modistrator
2,051 Posts
Axle wrap is not specific to Ford. Trucks have been fighting that when towing for a very long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have towed with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks under load and have never experienced what I have experienced in my F150 - I am
however trying to somewhat push the limits. I just know I’m under max tow rating by a lot.

·
Super Modistrator
2,051 Posts
Ford doesn’t say this problem is only evident when near or exceeding load capacity. They’re simply telling you that you might experience it. That doesn’t mean that every 3/4 or 1 ton truck has the same issues. One of my F150‘s did this.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
185 Posts
I think I slightly notice mine doing it slightly. I thought it was the torque convertor.

·
Super Modistrator
2,051 Posts
I suspect your problem will be solved when you get your track bars on. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trac bars? I think that’s a great idea - my guess is it will stabilize the axle balancing out the wrap! I love my truck I just want it to perform like the beast I know it is! Lol for a half ton!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have towed with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks under load and have never experienced what I have experienced in my F150 - I am
however trying to somewhat push the limits. I just know I’m under max tow rating by a lot.
3/4 and 1 ton trucks have far stiffer springs. Thats helps a lot.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
An intake is just for looks and sound unless you are making big power.

Also, the AMS turbo inlet tubes are much more effective than an intake. But at the end of the day, you are gunna need a tune to take advantage of any engine mods. The PCM will compensate for any flow improvements and continue to produce stock power without a tune.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts