F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

· Registered
3,953 Posts
Well I just got mine back Friday and they just replaced the gasket. Or so they said. Also put 5w20 oil in it. Is it alright or should I ***** them out? I hate dealing with dealers
Get the correct oil in there asap.

· Registered
59 Posts
Well guys unfortunately it doesn’t get any better and I don’t just mean to be the bearer of bad news.

I just got out of a 2015 2.7tt that Ford replaced that stupid design plastic pan (8) freakin times and it still leaked!!!

It’s the design. It’s flat plastic with no o-ring on it trying to seal against the flat aluminum engine block. If it’s hermetically curred in a NASA laboratory it might seal but I seriously doubt it!

It also suffers from a poor bolt design where the holes are much larger than the bolts. The bolts have a flange head but nothing seals the hole from oil leaking into it except the two flat sealing suface that should definitely have an o-ring grooved into it!

Ford eventually did the right thing and bought the truck back, but I went through 35k miles of this!

I unbelievably reordered a 2018 with the 2nd Gen 3.5 and first thing I did was crawl under there and look ?

It does appear the bolts holding the pan on are now black in color instead of shiny steel like before?

so far so good at 2000 miles!
Whew, was starting to get a bit concerned. When I first started reading this it looked like it was going to be a thread you just want to get away from. Someone gettin pissed when a new guy brings up issues. I glad to see if worked into something that I need to go do. While I have a 2018 (thank you Drifter64 for chiming in) I was concerned. I’m guessing a fix to some degree was made on the newer engine. I will also look to verify. Besides, I have a few items I need to have my dealer take care of. Maybe once I do I will tell everyone what they were and how they were fixed.
Have a good evening.

· Vendor
7,174 Posts
Whew, was starting to get a bit concerned. When I first started reading this it looked like it was going to be a thread you just want to get away from. Someone gettin pissed when a new guy brings up issues. I glad to see if worked into something that I need to go do. While I have a 2018 (thank you Drifter64 for chiming in) I was concerned. I’m guessing a fix to some degree was made on the newer engine. I will also look to verify. Besides, I have a few items I need to have my dealer take care of. Maybe once I do I will tell everyone what they were and how they were fixed.
Have a good evening.
The 2018 I have here has the same pan design. Let me look into seeing if there is an updated parts number. There are a few reasons ford went to the plastic sump. Doesn’t mean I like it or the change was worth the negligible benefits

· Registered
3,953 Posts
I slid under mine today pan is leaking 1900 miles not going to take it back till I need oil changed
If you're still on the factory fill, it wouldn't hurt to get it out now. Make sure you give your dealer a heads up.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi Mark, I have a 2017 3.5 with 6500 miles. I just noticed last night I have the same an oil leak coming down from the passenger side of the oil pan. I did an online search and found this forum and thread. BTW: It is a tremendous help to get information from others about related issues so you can be armed with the information to solve the problem. Thanks for your post. I also live in North Jersey (Mahwah). Did you find a dealer that understood that it was a common problem. It sounds like some dealers will only try to reseal and the real fix is to replace the oil pan. I want to avoid a debate about the need to replace the oil pan with a service tech. I am afraid of getting the response about google diagnostics.

Please let me know if you recommend the dealer that fixed your and is experienced with the issue. It may be worth the ride. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,674 Posts
Hi Mark, I have a 2017 3.5 with 6500 miles. I just noticed last night I have the same an oil leak coming down from the passenger side of the oil pan. I did an online search and found this forum and thread. BTW: It is a tremendous help to get information from others about related issues so you can be armed with the information to solve the problem. Thanks for your post. I also live in North Jersey (Mahwah). Did you find a dealer that understood that it was a common problem. It sounds like some dealers will only try to reseal and the real fix is to replace the oil pan. I want to avoid a debate about the need to replace the oil pan with a service tech. I am afraid of getting the response about google diagnostics.

Please let me know if you recommend the dealer that fixed your and is experienced with the issue. It may be worth the ride. Thanks in advance.
Out of curiosity when was the build date for your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1 Posts
I too am dealing with the same issue. Noticed the leak coming from the passenger side and the bottom of the pan soaked in oil at 17.5k miles. The dealer indicated they have seen this issue before on other Gen 2 3.5’s but it’s far more common on 2.7’s. The dealer ordered a new pan and I’m waiting for it to arrive to schedule the replacement.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.