F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished my first decent length tow with my 2018 2.7 screw, 4x4. Pulling a tt that's around 6k dry with another 1k minimum of stuff in the trailer.

I've done a few short trips before and the one thing I learned from those is: tire pressure... Definitely need it aired up or its bouncy AF. I was running 45 rear and 40 front for this trip and it was great. 2nd thing... Sport mode tows wayyyyy better than tow haul. I'm on stock tune, so I'm sure once I'm tuned this will change.

Anyway.. I couldn't be happier with how this thing performed. Gas mileage impressed big time. I average 11l/100k normally (28ish mpg) and towing I got just over 17l/100k (17ish mpg)

If anyone is thinking about 2.7 vs any other option, I can't recommend the 2.7 enough. This is the end of my rant. Thanks for listening.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
That is quite amazing. Towing our 6500lb trailer with my 2016 3.5TT I'm always in the low 20s (l/100km). Tow mode works ok during acceleration, I find, but the hyper active downshifting on deceleration drives me crazy and I turn it off. I generally just lock out 6th or 5th gear (upcoming terrain dependant) and leave it in normal mode. Was the trip on flat ground? Windy? Trailer front area?

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is quite amazing. Towing our 6500lb trailer with my 2016 3.5TT I'm always in the low 20s (l/100km). Tow mode works ok during acceleration, I find, but the hyper active downshifting on deceleration drives me crazy and I turn it off. I generally just lock out 6th or 5th gear (upcoming terrain dependant) and leave it in normal mode. Was the trip on flat ground? Windy? Trailer front area?
Pretty good cross wind for about 30% of the trip , rest was relatively not windy. Lots of rolling hills, nothing huge, a couple 7% grades for less than 1/2 mile. More up than down. This is the trailer I was pulling. I typically lock out 10th only as I will frequently see 9th on flat or decline. 8th would be the most used by far.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
11L/100 is 21 mpg.
17L/100 13.8 mpg. You sound just as bad as a Canadian car ad advertising Imperial MPG not the actual US EPA ratings which are in US MPG.

But even those numbers are very good for towing.

My 2011 3.5 with 3.31 gears got 10-11L/100 before lifted, tuned and it big tires on it.

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
11L/100 is 21 mpg.
17L/100 13.8 mpg. You sound just as bad as a Canadian car ad advertising Imperial MPG not the actual US EPA ratings which are in US MPG.

But even those numbers are very good for towing.

My 2011 3.5 with 3.31 gears got 10-11L/100 before lifted, tuned and it big tires on it.
Sorry for being Canadian I guess???

·
Registered
650 Posts
I might believe the mileage, but you're showing a speed well above what you traveled the whole time. Your average speed for what's being displayed is 79.54km/h... these trucks will get ludicrous mileage, if only you can keep the speed down. Most people aren't willing to do that.

·
Administrator
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This picture was taken on a 1/2 mile long down hill section hence the 10th gear at 120km/h.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only way I can get gas mileage close to that when towing my travel trailer is to drive super slow in 4th. I realistically get around 9 mpg when towing out on the interstate.

·
Administrator
10,102 Posts
When I towed this from Ohio to SC (top photo), I got 11 mpg. The load weighed a gross combined 12,600 lbs, but it's certainly more aerodynamic than a camper.

I got 15 hauling the black Dakota, but it was all flat ground, and I'd imagine considerably lighter. The trailer itself was lighter, the truck is lighter than the grey Dakota, and the bed/cab of the grey Dakota and bed of my truck were full of stuff on that trip to weigh it down further.

This is all a 3.55 4wd 2.7.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
67 Posts
Truck and trailer .jpg

this was my 1st long trip towing with this truck, (from Pittsburgh, PA to Philadelphia, PA) trailer and skid steer 10K maybe a bit lighter, I have spent the last 20 years towing similar loads pulled with the big 3 V-8's and diesels, i came away from that towing experience with these impressions
absolutely impressed
ride and handling i have not pulled a load like this that was so comfortable and stress less
the combination of the motor and trans, it's never in the wrong gear and it never complains always has more to give
i averaged 70 mph' s and got home my average was 11 mpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts