F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased brand new with 4 miles in November of 2018. 2.7l STX 4x4, 3.55 gears.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

First 'mods' were front window tint and sticker removal. I also added rear wheel well liners, mud flaps and full coverage floor mats from Husky.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At about 25,000 miles, got sideswiped by a truck pulling a large metal trailer. He switched lanes right into me.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

One of the wheels was scratched, insurance gave me money for a new one but I bought a set of 18" wheels and new tires. Never was a fan of the 20" wheels.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Tire

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next "mod" was a result of a run-in with a mail box.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle

Waited a few months, got that fixed. It was pricey, but I could not stand to keep looking at that scratch.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Once I hit 60,000 miles I started with some actual modifications. This is the first brand new vehicle I've ever purchased and I wanted to wait until the warranty was out.

Initial list:
  • SPD Catted Downpipes
  • SPD 3" catback. I added a resonator after a few weeks.
  • AMS Turbo Inlet tubes
  • CVF Titan intercooler
  • Tuning from Brew City Boost (using the Highlander/Mcguyver canned tunes)

No real pictures to share for all of that, but I did post a YouTube video of the exhaust before I added the resonator

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course the above mods were not enough, so I purchased a custom e85 tune from Brew City Boost. I'm eager to see the results of this fuel during the warm summer months towing our ~7500lb camper around the midwest.

I had expected to wait a while for the summer gas to become available, but my e85 source is testing at 80% so I pulled the trigger early! Just flashed it last night. I did a quick drive and an initial datalog to send off for revisions. It does seem to pull quite a bit harder, but it's tough to say from the 'butt dyno'

Liquid Automotive tire Cosmetics Paint Fluid

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And of course I'm working on the next thing before even getting my first revision on the e85 tune.

Picked up a set of used turbos from eBay to send into CR Performance for the stage 2 upgrade. Stage 4 is an option, but I'm not chasing 1/4 mile times or top speed.. I just like to tinker and would like some efficiency gains.

The plan is to run a custom e85 tune in the warm months and a custom 91 tune in the winter. I may wait until august to do the turbo swap, I have a lot of travel planned this summer and I don't want to introduce too much change and potentially have to alter plans due to vehicle downtime. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious.

Now, one of the turbos has apparently seen some water. There's visible rust and the wheel does not spin as freely as I'd imagine it should. Ideally CRP will be able to work with this, but I'm attempting to get in contact with them to confirm.

Automotive tire Wheel Tire Rim Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,655 Posts
What tow package could ya get with a 2.7 ?

·
Premium Member
6,655 Posts
I don't know what it means to bust you on a technicality.

• Haha
Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I gave them to my brother in law. He put them on his 2005 f150 that had nasty corroded wheels that leaked air like crazy. He sold it with them on it.

I like the ride with 18” wheels better. If OEM 17” were easier to find at the time I would have gotten those.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts
And of course I'm working on the next thing before even getting my first revision on the e85 tune.

Picked up a set of used turbos from eBay to send into CR Performance for the stage 2 upgrade. Stage 4 is an option, but I'm not chasing 1/4 mile times or top speed.. I just like to tinker and would like some efficiency gains.

The plan is to run a custom e85 tune in the warm months and a custom 91 tune in the winter. I may wait until august to do the turbo swap, I have a lot of travel planned this summer and I don't want to introduce too much change and potentially have to alter plans due to vehicle downtime. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious.

Now, one of the turbos has apparently seen some water. There's visible rust and the wheel does not spin as freely as I'd imagine it should. Ideally CRP will be able to work with this, but I'm attempting to get in contact with them to confirm.

View attachment 177696
Dang, I’m excited to see your turbo project, since you’ll be doing the same turbos I have.

You should have seen the turbos that I bought off eBay. The cores were rusted to heck, the compressor wheels weren’t though, but it doesn’t matter because I believe CRP will replace the entire core for you anyway. I was delighted when I saw how nicely they cleaned up the turbos for me, brand spanking new cores and the blast finish on the compressor cover and turbine housing was amazing. But, I’d still check with them since your truck is a different year than mine.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts
I gave them to my brother in law. He put them on his 2005 f150 that had nasty corroded wheels that leaked air like crazy. He sold it with them on it.

I like the ride with 18” wheels better. If OEM 17” were easier to find at the time I would have gotten those.
Ok gotcha. Yeah I just like the 20” in fact I’m tempted by some 22” wheels. But I do like my 18” wheels that I have with the 33” tires. Pretty sweet setup I’ll admit.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was temped to take the turbos off my truck and send those in, putting this set in for the meantime.. the one’s I bought have less than half the mileage mine do. But seeing the condition of these erases that idea.

tried calling CRP to confirm, no answer. Ill send an email. What was the best way to get in touch with them?
I could ask Brew City Boost too. I briefly spoke with Casey about stage 2 vs 3 vs 4. He confirmed that stage 2 would be my best choice.

Dang, I’m excited to see your turbo project, since you’ll be doing the same turbos I have.

You should have seen the turbos that I bought off eBay. The cores were rusted to heck, the compressor wheels weren’t though, but it doesn’t matter because I believe CRP will replace the entire core for you anyway. I was delighted when I saw how nicely they cleaned up the turbos for me, brand spanking new cores and the blast finish on the compressor cover and turbine housing was amazing. But, I’d still check with them since your truck is a different year than mine.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts
I was temped to take the turbos off my truck and send those in, putting this set in for the meantime.. the one’s I bought have less than half the mileage mine do. But seeing the condition of these erases that idea.

tried calling CRP to confirm, no answer. Ill send an email. What was the best way to get in touch with them?
I could ask Brew City Boost too. I briefly spoke with Casey about stage 2 vs 3 vs 4. He confirmed that stage 2 would be my best choice.
Oh yeah no, I wouldn’t swap those onto your truck. Plus, you don’t want to have to do the turbo swap twice. You’ll be absolutely amazed at how beautiful CRP will make those used ones you bought. They don’t even use the old compressor wheels anyway, they pretty much only reuse the compressor cover and turbine housing.

Uh, sometimes you can get them to answer the phone, I’ve spoken to Andrew a few times, but it takes him a while to answer emails. I’d shoot him an email, and then call him now and then. Just remember, their in Canada, up north above Michigan kinda.

Reactions: bentruby

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,349 Posts
I’ve gained a couple mpg with these stage 2s. And the reason I believe is because they don’t spool up as quickly.
Was getting 16mpg before. Getting 19 now.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I get about 18mpg by the dash computer’s math. This week its dropped down to 17.4 running e85, but its also $1.75 a gallon cheaper than 91. Theres a math problem in there that I could solve, but I really don’t need to know..

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Light Rectangle Product Slope Font

Don't really know much about what these numbers mean, but it's cool to look at.

One goal I have is not to mess with the fuel system. If I can do the stage 2 turbos and e85 on the stock pumps and injectors, I'll be happy. Even if that means I'm leaving some gains on the table, I'm not interested in pushing the limits.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts