·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
And of course I'm working on the next thing before even getting my first revision on the e85 tune.

Picked up a set of used turbos from eBay to send into CR Performance for the stage 2 upgrade. Stage 4 is an option, but I'm not chasing 1/4 mile times or top speed.. I just like to tinker and would like some efficiency gains.

The plan is to run a custom e85 tune in the warm months and a custom 91 tune in the winter. I may wait until august to do the turbo swap, I have a lot of travel planned this summer and I don't want to introduce too much change and potentially have to alter plans due to vehicle downtime. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious.

Now, one of the turbos has apparently seen some water. There's visible rust and the wheel does not spin as freely as I'd imagine it should. Ideally CRP will be able to work with this, but I'm attempting to get in contact with them to confirm.

View attachment 177696
Dang, I’m excited to see your turbo project, since you’ll be doing the same turbos I have.

You should have seen the turbos that I bought off eBay. The cores were rusted to heck, the compressor wheels weren’t though, but it doesn’t matter because I believe CRP will replace the entire core for you anyway. I was delighted when I saw how nicely they cleaned up the turbos for me, brand spanking new cores and the blast finish on the compressor cover and turbine housing was amazing. But, I’d still check with them since your truck is a different year than mine.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
I gave them to my brother in law. He put them on his 2005 f150 that had nasty corroded wheels that leaked air like crazy. He sold it with them on it.

I like the ride with 18” wheels better. If OEM 17” were easier to find at the time I would have gotten those.
Ok gotcha. Yeah I just like the 20” in fact I’m tempted by some 22” wheels. But I do like my 18” wheels that I have with the 33” tires. Pretty sweet setup I’ll admit.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
I was temped to take the turbos off my truck and send those in, putting this set in for the meantime.. the one’s I bought have less than half the mileage mine do. But seeing the condition of these erases that idea.

tried calling CRP to confirm, no answer. Ill send an email. What was the best way to get in touch with them?
I could ask Brew City Boost too. I briefly spoke with Casey about stage 2 vs 3 vs 4. He confirmed that stage 2 would be my best choice.
Oh yeah no, I wouldn’t swap those onto your truck. Plus, you don’t want to have to do the turbo swap twice. You’ll be absolutely amazed at how beautiful CRP will make those used ones you bought. They don’t even use the old compressor wheels anyway, they pretty much only reuse the compressor cover and turbine housing.

Uh, sometimes you can get them to answer the phone, I’ve spoken to Andrew a few times, but it takes him a while to answer emails. I’d shoot him an email, and then call him now and then. Just remember, their in Canada, up north above Michigan kinda.

Reactions: bentruby

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
I’ve gained a couple mpg with these stage 2s. And the reason I believe is because they don’t spool up as quickly.
Was getting 16mpg before. Getting 19 now.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
View attachment 177718

Don't really know much about what these numbers mean, but it's cool to look at.

One goal I have is not to mess with the fuel system. If I can do the stage 2 turbos and e85 on the stock pumps and injectors, I'll be happy. Even if that means I'm leaving some gains on the table, I'm not interested in pushing the limits.
I didn’t use to understand a lot of those numbers either, but after doing it for a while and consulting wise people, I understand what a lot of it means.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
View attachment 177787

The second turbo came in this morning. Much nicer shape.

Both are off 2019 trucks with similar milage. One from Oregon, one from Michigan.. bet you can tell which is which.
Yeah… that one core for sure would need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
I shipped my donor turbos in to CRP today, and I have all of the small parts needed on hand (gaskets, studs, etc)

Still unsure when I'll install them, we'll see how long they take to get returned. The next few months will be busy as the summer months kick off.

On my 3rd and final revision of the e85 tune. Boost is capped off around 22psi on this rev. I'm told if I wanted to get a pump booster, I could add another 1-2psi. Not in my plans.

View attachment 178120
Now you’re speaking my language. Right where your boost falls way down what is it at right there? On my stock turbos at 6000 rpm and above I was doing 6-9 psi.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
It falls way down as I had to let off. Max RPM in that pull was 5700rpm and I was at 17PSI. The dip after the max was 14PSI at 4900 rpm.

The 10 speed never really lets me get to 6000rpm. I have not done a pull locking higher gears out. I really like the 10R80 trans in this truck, keeps the power turned ON.
I see. I kinda forgot you have an 18’ with the 10spd. I kinda wish I had a 10 speed but the 6 speed is pretty fun too. With the 6 speed i have gotten to 6500 rpm which is a little scary. But my stock turbos would literally crap out anywhere from redline and up.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
View attachment 179043
An update, added an AEM intake. This thing is loud! That’s what I got it for.. the sound.. so no complaints

also! My stage 2 turbos just arrived from CRP. I’ve ordered tuning from Boostking for both 91 and an e50 blend. Still not sure when I’ll install these, maybe I’ll get brave and do it a few weeks. My hesitation is because I have some travel coming up and I don’t want to potentially introduce any reliability issues.

View attachment 179044
Wait wait wait, those are not stage 2 turbos, those are the stage 3s.

And,heck, don’t be nervous about reliability, just install them and run the stock tune if you don’t have a tune. I don’t have any leaks in either of my installs.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
what makes you say they are stage 3? I ordered stage 2

my reliability concern is not the tuning, it’s changing out hard parts that are not broken. I’d hate to find out there’s an issue with one of these turbos or my install a few hundred miles from home on the side of the road.

My current turbos don’t cause any worry as of now, if it aint broke dont fix it right?
Well, they have a 7 blade compressor, only the stage 3 has that. The stage 2s have a 6 blade compressor.

Ah I see, yeah I’d probably wait too if I were you.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
View attachment 179048 View attachment 179049

Ugh.. I see that now. Looking at the pictures of your stage 2's, they have 6 blades.

I'm confused, as the product image on CRP's website shows 7 blades on the stage 2's and 6 blades on the stage 3's. It's easy to mix up images, but the fact that your stage 2's and what I got are different tells me one of us got the wrong thing!

I'll send Andrew an email I guess.
It’s ok man…
Don’t bother I already asked him about it. He told me strictly,
The stage 2s are 6 blade, stage 3s are 7 blade. The images on their website are not correct.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
View attachment 179048 View attachment 179049

Ugh.. I see that now. Looking at the pictures of your stage 2's, they have 6 blades.

I'm confused, as the product image on CRP's website shows 7 blades on the stage 2's and 6 blades on the stage 3's. It's easy to mix up images, but the fact that your stage 2's and what I got are different tells me one of us got the wrong thing!

I'll send Andrew an email I guess.
Unless you just don’t want the stage 3s, I think you’ll actually like the stage 3s since they have much better spool and aren’t much different power wise than the stage 2s.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
Either

I'm sure the differences between stage 2 and 3 are not that big of a deal to actual application.. It's more of an issue of I did not get what I ordered.. Just checked the invoice from my order, stage 2.

The stage 2 upgrade is $100 more than the stage 3 upgrade. Not a lot, but I really should have gotten what I ordered.
Yeah, sounds like either a mistake from Brew City or a mistake from CRP. CRP hasn’t made any mistakes for me, so I kinda doubt that they are the culprit but who knows.

I’d definitely ask why you didn’t get what you ordered. I definitely would be ticked if I were you.
What I was told, The stage 3s were designed for transient response with the sacrifice of a little top end flow. The trim is really big on the stage 3s. They will respond much faster than the stage 2s but might not act the same in regards to top end horsepower. The stage 2s are going to have better top end support, but I’m not sure the difference is much since they dynod both stage 3 and 2 at like 445-450whp on 93.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
Stage 2 costs more than Stage 3? I've never priced these things out, but I always assumed "going up" from stage 2 to stage 3 would cost more? Is there a chance that their website not only had photos mixed up, but pricing too? If that is the case, would you be happy to know your $100 bought you more expensive Stage 3's?
This is a bit confusing to me...
I believe they cost more due to how much work is done, the stage 2s have a larger exducer and require more custom work on the core, where as the stage 3 has I believe, (just guessing) but I think it’s stock exducer, so it doesn’t require custom core, just a machined compressor cover to accept the 41mm inducer.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
If these are indeed stage 3's, it might be a blessing in disguise.. I've read that stage 3's are preferred for e85, and that's what I've been running.

Although I'm intending to drop down to e50, finding it difficult to maintain over 70% ethanol between the few e85 sources I'm using.. My travel is not consistent so I believe it will be easier to maintain e50 consistently. More work on testing/mixing, but I won't be worrying about if I'm running rich or lean so much.
Yeah. I know for a fact those are stage 3.
Yeah Andrew told me that the description isn’t correct on the website and that the stage 2 are 6 blade and the stage 3 are 7 blade.

I’ll give you a 100$ if those aren’t stage 3s.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
Confirmed. My turbos were upgraded to stage 3 instead of stage 2 as I had ordered.

CRP is offering to correct the issue, but I'll just hang on to what I have instead of risking more screwups and miscommunication.
That’s awesome that they were willing to correct it for you.
You’ll be happy with those I think. You’re gonna love the quick response of those turbos.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
I’m finally getting the dent in my tailgate taken care of, dropped it off at a PDR place today.

Like the new sticker?

View attachment 179144

The turbos are going in next week. I’m hiring it out to a mechanic buddy, I just don’t see myself having the time and I guess I’m feeling impatient for more boost!
Nice dude! I knew you would get impatient. Does he know how to install them and all the tips and tricks?

he can refer to this thread if he wants any extra tips.

Reactions: Boatwaco and Nisco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
I sent him that Aaron Hines video so he has an idea of what's involved.. He's a diesel tech, so I believe he's replaced turbos before.
Ok good. Also make sure he sees that Borg Warner instruction paper. Did you receive a paper like that? There’s a picture of it on that thread.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts