F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Either

I'm sure the differences between stage 2 and 3 are not that big of a deal to actual application.. It's more of an issue of I did not get what I ordered.. Just checked the invoice from my order, stage 2.

The stage 2 upgrade is $100 more than the stage 3 upgrade. Not a lot, but I really should have gotten what I ordered.
Yeah, sounds like either a mistake from Brew City or a mistake from CRP. CRP hasn’t made any mistakes for me, so I kinda doubt that they are the culprit but who knows.

I’d definitely ask why you didn’t get what you ordered. I definitely would be ticked if I were you.
What I was told, The stage 3s were designed for transient response with the sacrifice of a little top end flow. The trim is really big on the stage 3s. They will respond much faster than the stage 2s but might not act the same in regards to top end horsepower. The stage 2s are going to have better top end support, but I’m not sure the difference is much since they dynod both stage 3 and 2 at like 445-450whp on 93.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Stage 2 costs more than Stage 3? I've never priced these things out, but I always assumed "going up" from stage 2 to stage 3 would cost more? Is there a chance that their website not only had photos mixed up, but pricing too? If that is the case, would you be happy to know your $100 bought you more expensive Stage 3's?
This is a bit confusing to me...
I believe they cost more due to how much work is done, the stage 2s have a larger exducer and require more custom work on the core, where as the stage 3 has I believe, (just guessing) but I think it’s stock exducer, so it doesn’t require custom core, just a machined compressor cover to accept the 41mm inducer.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Stage 2 costs more than Stage 3? I've never priced these things out, but I always assumed "going up" from stage 2 to stage 3 would cost more? Is there a chance that their website not only had photos mixed up, but pricing too? If that is the case, would you be happy to know your $100 bought you more expensive Stage 3's?
This is a bit confusing to me...
Right!? I don't know or understand why stage 2 costs more, but it was recommended to me to skip stage 3 and go with either stage 2 or 4. Now I appear to have been given stage 3 turbos.

Both 2 and 3 are listed as 6 blades in the description. They must have copied and pasted stuff, missing some details in the editing. I'm a professional copy and paster, so I've made this mistake myself a few times :)

I've got a few emails out. I'm far from 'upset', I'd just like to know what the deal is..

Automotive tire Product Font Cameras & optics Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah, sounds like either a mistake from Brew City or a mistake from CRP. CRP hasn’t made any mistakes for me, so I kinda doubt that they are the culprit but who knows.

I’d definitely ask why you didn’t get what you ordered. I definitely would be ticked if I were you.
What I was told, The stage 3s were designed for transient response with the sacrifice of a little top end flow. The trim is really big on the stage 3s. They will respond much faster than the stage 2s but might not act the same in regards to top end horsepower. The stage 2s are going to have better top end support, but I’m not sure the difference is much since they dynod both stage 3 and 2 at like 445-450whp on 93.
If these are indeed stage 3's, it might be a blessing in disguise.. I've read that stage 3's are preferred for e85, and that's what I've been running.

Although I'm intending to drop down to e50, finding it difficult to maintain over 70% ethanol between the few e85 sources I'm using.. My travel is not consistent so I believe it will be easier to maintain e50 consistently. More work on testing/mixing, but I won't be worrying about if I'm running rich or lean so much.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
If these are indeed stage 3's, it might be a blessing in disguise.. I've read that stage 3's are preferred for e85, and that's what I've been running.

Although I'm intending to drop down to e50, finding it difficult to maintain over 70% ethanol between the few e85 sources I'm using.. My travel is not consistent so I believe it will be easier to maintain e50 consistently. More work on testing/mixing, but I won't be worrying about if I'm running rich or lean so much.
Yeah. I know for a fact those are stage 3.
Yeah Andrew told me that the description isn’t correct on the website and that the stage 2 are 6 blade and the stage 3 are 7 blade.

I’ll give you a 100$ if those aren’t stage 3s.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
Confirmed. My turbos were upgraded to stage 3 instead of stage 2 as I had ordered.

CRP is offering to correct the issue, but I'll just hang on to what I have instead of risking more screwups and miscommunication.
That’s awesome that they were willing to correct it for you.
You’ll be happy with those I think. You’re gonna love the quick response of those turbos.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I’m finally getting the dent in my tailgate taken care of, dropped it off at a PDR place today.

Like the new sticker?

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

The turbos are going in next week. I’m hiring it out to a mechanic buddy, I just don’t see myself having the time and I guess I’m feeling impatient for more boost!

·
Moderstrator
1,962 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
I’m finally getting the dent in my tailgate taken care of, dropped it off at a PDR place today.

Like the new sticker?

View attachment 179144

The turbos are going in next week. I’m hiring it out to a mechanic buddy, I just don’t see myself having the time and I guess I’m feeling impatient for more boost!
Nice dude! I knew you would get impatient. Does he know how to install them and all the tips and tricks?

he can refer to this thread if he wants any extra tips.

Reactions: Boatwaco and Nisco

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Nice dude! I knew you would get impatient. Does he know how to install them and all the tips and tricks?

he can refer to this thread if he wants any extra tips.
I sent him that Aaron Hines video so he has an idea of what's involved.. He's a diesel tech, so I believe he's replaced turbos before.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
I sent him that Aaron Hines video so he has an idea of what's involved.. He's a diesel tech, so I believe he's replaced turbos before.
Ok good. Also make sure he sees that Borg Warner instruction paper. Did you receive a paper like that? There’s a picture of it on that thread.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

Sent an oil sample to Blackstone after 4,000 miles on an e85 tune. They did not see any issues.

Only about 250 miles of this was on the AEM intake, the rest were with the OEM paper filter. I'm going to send in a sample from my next change to see if the intake makes any noticeable difference to what they test.

Stage 3 turbos go in tomorrow!

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
View attachment 179330

Sent an oil sample to Blackstone after 4,000 miles on an e85 tune. They did not see any issues.

Only about 250 miles of this was on the AEM intake, the rest were with the OEM paper filter. I'm going to send in a sample from my next change to see if the intake makes any noticeable difference to what they test.

Stage 3 turbos go in tomorrow!
Man, I should do that oil test too. How much did that cost?

Also, it’s funny, this thread reminds me a lot of mine.
I’m glad we are setting some examples on how awesome the 2.7 is and pushing the limits of it, seems like most of the fast builds are guys with 3.5s.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
View attachment 179349

OEM turbos almost out. I'm now glad I hired a pro, the nuts/studs holding the turbo to the block are giving him a bit of a fight.
Heck yeah!!!! I’m feeling the excitement for you.
Yeah, I was extremely lucky that I had had the cylinder heads replaced 6 months before and all the nuts and studs were brand new. No troubles at all.

I can’t wait to see your reaction to how those stage 3s sound.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Heck yeah!!!! I’m feeling the excitement for you.
Yeah, I was extremely lucky that I had had the cylinder heads replaced 6 months before and all the nuts and studs were brand new. No troubles at all.

I can’t wait to see your reaction to how those stage 3s sound.
@boostkingMatt - did your oil feed lines have filters/screens? Mine do not appear to from the factory. We're thinking of going without.. I think I remember you did the same?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,476 Posts
@boostkingMatt - did your oil feed lines have filters/screens? Mine do not appear to from the factory. We're thinking of going without.. I think I remember you did the same?
They don’t? That’s bizarre… well, the drivers side I did first and I put the filter back in, the passenger side I couldn’t fit the filter back in because the A/C line was in the way so I left it out. If you change your oil ever 3-5k you’ll be fine. It’s just to keep junk from getting into the turbo, but I think it’s fine.

We need some photos of the project!

41 - 60 of 176 Posts