F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 0-60 is improving! I’m not going to do any more 4x4 boosted launches though, I’m happy with this.. and something broke on my second attempt.

Heck yeah! It’s moving good! It hard to beat the 4wd launches. The stock 4x4 is pretty strong. Sacramento Peña has a 2018 f150 with a stock coyote and stock 10r80. Twin turbo and he launches in 4hi at 20psi and it rolls into 30psi. Might want to later on upgrade driveshafts.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Heck yeah! It’s moving good! It hard to beat the 4wd launches. The stock 4x4 is pretty strong. Sacramento Peña has a 2018 f150 with a stock coyote and stock 10r80. Twin turbo and he launches in 4hi at 20psi and it rolls into 30psi. Might want to later on upgrade driveshafts.
Pretty sure I found the limits of something.. there are some scary noises going on in 4wd now. I’m in for at least a new driveshaft and likely a new front diff.

I had been tossing around a rear diff upgrade and maybe a re gear. Not sure if its worth it though.

·
Moderstrator
1,501 Posts
Because I am a manchild, I lave at 2,500 rpm on a greenlight on my way to Costco.

Is that not right?
It’s not what you leave at, it’s where you get too before the next light that matters!

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Because I am a manchild, I lave at 2,500 rpm on a greenlight on my way to Costco.

Is that not right?
In the video above, I launched at 3500rpm with 18.5 PSI of boost.

the next attempt where things broke I was probably closer to 4000rpm. No video or log on that, things got lost because i was more concerned about what i had broken

i now know thats a bad idea.

picking up a used front driveshaft and hopefully a differential today. I’ll have the truck on a lift this weekend anyway.. hopefully there is no damage to other more expensive parts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Hey what’s your typical rpm for a boosted launch? I clearly missed that day in class, and put wayyy too much down
2300-2500 is where I like to be depending on wheel spin at the track or particular lane....... I]ve done higher but I have had intermittent front wheel hope that I don't like....... but for me, my best 1/4 times came at 2500 +- 100 rpm......

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,363 Posts
2300-2500 is where I like to be depending on wheel spin at the track or particular lane....... I]ve done higher but I have had intermittent front wheel hope that I don't like....... but for me, my best 1/4 times came at 2500 +- 100 rpm......
I’m not sure if it’s because of my elevation or what, but I can’t even seem to build more than 1-2 psi on launch even at 2500 rpm. I have a video of my launch posted in my build thread. Go check it out and you’ll see what I mean. When I launch, there’s a huge delay before it really hits

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt

donor diff and shaft from a truck of the same year and specs, but half the mileage.

at this point, I’m assuming something in the front diff is broken. The CV shafts spin with input, but the pinion angle shifts. The driveshaft contacts the front sway bar in 4wd.

The truck drives great in 2wd. I may or may not drop the front diff this weekend, it looks like a large job.. seeing folks removing the steering rack to get the diff out..

since the truck drives fine and I have a few weeks before I need to worry about snow, i might as well take my time.

A re gear from 3.55 to 3.73 or higher is not worth it from my quick research. Especially since I will always run stock or smaller tires.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,691 Posts
You should consider a VAS front diff brace if you enjoy boost launching. :)

Ford doesn't exactly have it tied down very well for the driveline shock you are asking for.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·

Ford doesn't exactly have it tied down very well for the driveline shock you are asking for.
I don't plan on doing it much more, but since I will have things apart I'll look into that.

I got carried away, fully admitting that I did something dumb and am now paying the price.

At least I got a good 0-60 time out of it!

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
Very inexpensive and I put one on my 2018 just because....... Well, because I could. :)

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Very inexpensive and I put one on my 2018 just because....... Well, because I could. :)
Oh, it's only $200? No brainer, I've got one ordered!

I think I'll take my time, and put some new bearings in this donor diff. I suspect it got some water in it from sitting outside at the junk yard.. what oil is in it is milky... They also gouged the cover mating surface and I'd like to clean that up a bit.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,363 Posts
Ooh darn I might order one soon too.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Moderstrator
1,501 Posts

This I will not Google
This I do not want
This I do not need
This I will not buy
I will not open my wallet
I will not charge my card
I have to many other things waiting to install
Gesture Elbow Costume hat Art Drawing

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
I'm starting to think VAS is giving you a commission or something :cool:
I have met the fella that makes them. Lol
He didn't give me even $1 discount for buying more than one. :)

Only spoke to him the day I ordered them and the day I picked them up.

I had never heard of them until someone on the forum mentioned wheel hop and was considering one.

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
I'm starting to think VAS is giving you a commission or something :cool:
I've been questioned as being someone who works for Ford, on another forum.

It seems that if you actually speak well of the manufacturer, AND you think highly of your truck, you are a plant. 🤣

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
478 Posts
I knew it...

• Haha
Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
732 Posts

You have the VAS traction bars too right?
Do you find they changed how the suspension feel interms of harshnes or shock absorption with regular on street driving?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

• Helpful
Reactions: boostkingMatt
141 - 160 of 165 Posts