F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burning oil smell at idle. Lifted hood, took off plastic engine cover, found oil pooled up. Dried the area, drove 1,000 miles, puddle is back. Drivers side, oil not getting to the ground, yet. Any ideas for a quick, cheap, quality fix? Pictures attached for your pleasure.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Burning oil smell at idle. Lifted hood, took off plastic engine cover, found oil pooled up. Dried the area, drove 1,000 miles, puddle is back. Drivers side, oil not getting to the ground, yet. Any ideas for a quick, cheap, quality fix? Pictures attached for your pleasure.
My initial thought is valve cover gasket, prove me wrong.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
There is quick, cheap, and quality fixes. Quick- keep drying it.
Cheap- RTV everything
Quality - find leak, replace appropriate gasket

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Looks like you're pooling oil is on top of the valve cover? Wonder if that PVC valve is leaking? Unless the oil is spraying up from some place, it can only be from something above due to gravity, right?

Might check the spark plug holes and see if any oil there.. If there is, then it's the valve cover gasket for sure. Just not sure how it would pool on top?

Wow, 105k miles on a 18... You must have a hell of a commute! I've got a 13 with 86k on it and it's my daily driver and I've owned it since new..

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
Looks like you're pooling oil is on top of the valve cover? Wonder if that PVC valve is leaking? Unless the oil is spraying up from some place, it can only be from something above due to gravity, right?

Might check the spark plug holes and see if any oil there.. If there is, then it's the valve cover gasket for sure. Just not sure how it would pool on top?

Wow, 105k miles on a 18... You must have a hell of a commute! I've got a 13 with 86k on it and it's my daily driver and I've owned it since new..

Good luck!

Mitch

Came here to say the same thing about the miles.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yea oil wouldn't pool there if it was the valve cover gasket. I agree with miles on the pcv connection right above it. You can even see the oil trail below it to the pool

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can't help it... Gotta say it... :

Don't drive it so damn much! 105,000 on a 2018! That's probably the right amount of leakage for that much use in that amount of time.

I had to do the math too... If you started driving it on 01/01/18 it would be 795 days until today... That's 132 miles per day, every day.

Take a day off man... Have a beer... And replace that valve cover gasket.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,449 Posts
Lol.

Nicely put.
It does kind of remind me of that Ford torture test that they did to the 3.5 the year they introduced it to the F150.

That motor never got a rest and got beat on continuously. Personally, I think there is some merit to the claim that this motor has better survival stats when it is burdened, rather than pampered.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't help it... Gotta say it... :

Don't drive it so damn much! 105,000 on a 2018! That's probably the right amount of leakage for that much use in that amount of time.

I had to do the math too... If you started driving it on 01/01/18 it would be 795 days until today... That's 132 miles per day, every day.

Take a day off man... Have a beer... And replace that valve cover gasket.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Doesn’t help that I started driving March 2018. Keeping the oil and natural gas flowing, one well at a time. Oilfeldlife

·
Registered
16 Posts

Good luck!

Mitch

Has anyone had a timing cover on a 2016 2.7 EcoBoost engine? My 2016 Sport 4x4 has a timing cover leak. I change to oil every 5,xxx miles. This is the 2nd Ecoboost engine I've owned. The first was a 2013 F150. It had 37,xx miles when I traded it.
I use AMSOIL in in. I've used this oil since 1997 in 3 truck, a Highlander and 3 Harley-Davidsons'. This is the first oil related issue I've had. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
STLN8IV

·
Banned
1 Posts
Hi did you ever get your truck fix the reason I'm asking is because I have the same problem please let me know thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts