F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’m sorta new to the EcoBoost mods always had diesels prior to my newly ordered 2018 F150 Special Edition Lariat. Has max tow package, power folding tow mirrors, technology package, 3.55 rears 7050 GVWR package.

I purchased a SCT/BDX tuner, Bushwacker Pocket-Style flares, BDS 6” Fox Coilover lift kit, Fuel hardline 20x9 wheels/Toyo 35x12.5 20’s AT EXTREMES

Looking to purchase Hellwig Sway Bar kits for 6” lift front and back, Firestone air bags, SPD 170 degree thermostat, SPD turbo adaptors, Roush CAI, 5* tunes Performance and Tow and have bed LINE X’d.

My question is with the 5* tunes will a SPD CATLESS DOWNPIPE with a Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust System - Split Rear Exit - Black Tip work well? I’m planning to have the downpipe ceramic coated. Looking for input from the knowledge base experience here. Seems like a great group of people.

I like to have everything ready to go when the truck shows up. Dealer is doing the lift kit.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well I’m sorta new to the EcoBoost mods always had diesels prior to my newly ordered 2018 F150 Special Edition Lariat. Has max tow package, power folding tow mirrors, technology package, 3.55 rears 7050 GVWR package.

I purchased a SCT/BDX tuner, Bushwacker Pocket-Style flares, BDS 6” Fox Coilover lift kit, Fuel hardline 20x9 wheels/Toyo 35x12.5 20’s AT EXTREMES

Looking to purchase Hellwig Sway Bar kits for 6” lift front and back, Firestone air bags, SPD 170 degree thermostat, SPD turbo adaptors, Roush CAI, 5* tunes Performance and Tow and have bed LINE X’d.

My question is with the 5* tunes will a SPD CATLESS DOWNPIPE with a Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust System - Split Rear Exit - Black Tip work well? I’m planning to have the downpipe ceramic coated. Looking for input from the knowledge base experience here. Seems like a great group of people.

I like to have everything ready to go when the truck shows up. Dealer is doing the lift kit.
There's no reason all of that stuff shouldn't play nice together. One thing to keep in mind is that the tune should be adjusted a you add more performance parts to take full advantage of them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no reason all of that stuff shouldn't play nice together. One thing to keep in mind is that the tune should be adjusted a you add more performance parts to take full advantage of them

Well everything I listed will be installed before I get the tunes from 5* truck is still 4 weeks from delivery then the dealership will install bushwackers, BDS lift, wheels and tires and Hellwig sway bar kits. I’ll install the rest. Pic is generic but same as truck I’m receiving.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Should do nice.

I would get the catted down pipes, catless isn’t going to make more power then these racing cats and the exhaust will stink.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve read several posts and threads saying leave the factory exhaust and just change down pipes and remove resonator. I don’t want the ricer sound. I know it’s a turbo v6 not a V8. But the Buick GN was same setup and had a good sound.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also somebody informed me 5* couldn’t build a tune for the SCT/BXS tuner should I check with MPT? I won’t be able to do anything til truck shows up regardless.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Also somebody informed me 5* couldn’t build a tune for the SCT/BXS tuner should I check with MPT? I won’t be able to do anything til truck shows up regardless.
5star can build you a tune.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Crazy, your mods and truck could be my twin but I’m blue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That thing will be louder than s**t without cats and with a cat back. That trucks too pretty for flares...
Yea I’ve decided to put a cat downpipe on it and I’m still hunting for a decent sounding rear exit cat back. I like the flares especially painted body color. Protects the sides from debris flying off tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the borla atak on my ‘18 3.5L and I think it sounds great, I think borla is best in the business at making a good sounding exhaust and have done wonders making the EB sound great in my opinion. I do have one concern for your set up, and I maybe completely wrong so take it with a grain of salt, but I think if you are doing all the other upgrades especially downpipes you may want to look at a larger diameter true duel exhaust, I think the borla is 3” that splits into two 2.5” or 2.25”. Sounds great but I doubt it flows Much better than stock and I own it myself. And I would probably pass on the CAI unless you want more intake noise or 5* recommends it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
2 x 2.25" pipes will have more flow than a single 3"

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the borla atak on my ‘18 3.5L and I think it sounds great, I think borla is best in the business at making a good sounding exhaust and have done wonders making the EB sound great in my opinion. I do have one concern for your set up, and I maybe completely wrong so take it with a grain of salt, but I think if you are doing all the other upgrades especially downpipes you may want to look at a larger diameter true duel exhaust, I think the borla is 3” that splits into two 2.5” or 2.25”. Sounds great but I doubt it flows Much better than stock and I own it myself. And I would probably pass on the CAI unless you want more intake noise or 5* recommends it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I like where your going. I could do a down pipe then into a 1 in 2 out muffler and duals custom mandrel bent out the rear

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just ordered the AFE 49-43068-B for my '18 3.5. I took the recommendation of my guy at 4Wheel Parts, and after watching a few videos, it seems like one of the best sounding systems I've heard if you want something a little more modest with minimal droning, etc. And it's quite a bit less expensive than the Borla. I'm sure the Borla is awesome though!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is my 2nd eco boost & i F'd up the 1st with an aftermarket exhaust ,it sounded like a ricers honda ,i went back & they had already trashed my oem one,this time i'm sticking to oem unless i can hear one in person .
Ditto. Had a 4" MBRP and I took it off within a week and deleted the resonator. Only other exhaust mod Ill make it a set of Full-Race catted DP's and thatll be enough. These motor's arent a RB25, 2JZ or any other variant of an turbo inline 6. They DO make great power though.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
I'm curious to see what the fellas come up with for the built motor in my 18.

It's dead quiet inside right now with the interior sound deadening and the oem exhaust.

I SO prefer that.

But it's 100% certain that modifications will be required. The motor will absolutely require uncorking.

Fortunately I've ridden in a pretty souped up 12 that had a pretty quiet exhaust, sitting in the passenger seat. Don't know enough about such things to spell out the components. But I know the source!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Sorta changed plans looks like I’ll be going with the Ngauge tuner and the Stainless Full Race Catted downpipe with Borla Stype exhaust. Also decided to go with 20x10 -18 offset Hardlines

1 - 20 of 48 Posts