F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched and found nothing for the 2nd gen.

I’ve had this tick since new that’s at idle only, no performance issues or anything at all out of the ordinary other than the tick. Something you guys would see a service department for or not? Sound in the video makes it louder than it really is. Not noticeable in the cab and definitely coming from passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,524 Posts
Have you opened the hood and put your ear near the High Pressure Fuel Pump?

I ask, because the video is actually not a very loud click. (Maybe my earbuds suck?)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven’t investigated it any further than noticing it’s coming more from the passenger side, and taking the video. It isn’t a real loud tick. But it is noticeable outside the truck. I’m going to mention it whenever I bring it in for the shift linkage pin recall that way there’s at least a note about it, and see what they say. It’s not a huge concern at the moment but My last daily driver was a straight piped 2000 7.3 powered excursion, so I don’t want to ignore something that may be an issue just because I’m used to noisy, and I know you guys are pretty experienced here with this motor.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
These engines are noisy. Park it against a wall in a drive thru or next to a building and you really notice the normal high pressure fuel pump tick. It's a mechanical cam driven pump.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Haven't listened to 2nd gen where they added port injection. Curious if they are still running the Direct-injection at idle or only the port? DI always gives the loud tick, while port injection is generally silent.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
The high pressure pump is rotating regardless of idle or not so the tick will be there.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I can definitely hear it. Sounds like a chooo!! !! chooo!! train chugging along in the back ground.

Mine had a tick until I put the UPR catch can on but noting like that!!

2012 screw 3.5L

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Edit; ok I retract my statement I made. It sounds just mine lol. I will still try to post a video for you to hear.

2012 screw 3.5L
That’s why I posted. I know direct injection is noisy and a very similar sound to that and also the hpfp is noisy as well. But Usually a di/pi motor will be tuned to use the port injection at idle and low load situations although i haven’t read anything confirming that on this setup, also haven’t looked for that info anywhere. I was hoping someone here would have the same sound as this going on. My other truck has the same sound just not as much.

·
Registered
953 Posts
That’s why I posted. I know direct injection is noisy and a very similar sound to that and also the hpfp is noisy as well. But Usually a di/pi motor will be tuned to use the port injection at idle and low load situations although i haven’t read anything confirming that on this setup, also haven’t looked for that info anywhere. I was hoping someone here would have the same sound as this going on. My other truck has the same sound just not as much.

Here is mine on a cold, engine, idle.

2012 screw 3.5L

·
Registered
35 Posts
Both sounded like DI to me...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I’m just noticing the difference between high and low idle both cold and how much the speed masks the ticking. Here’s another video with no ticking but higher idle. Seems to be normal at this point, just sounds different low vs high idle speed. Drawback of smoking while truck warms up every morning, you notice small things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2017 3.5 2nd gen and getting a tick, also. Sounds like an injector or a lifter; the colder the louder it is at startup only. Dealer couldn't replicate the problem to diagnose the issue. I recorded startup every morning since returning from dealer, but I isolated the problem to the right bank of the engine. I need to remove the plastic engine cover and try it... I believe it the injector... anyone else experiencing this?

·
Vendor
7,053 Posts
I have 2017 3.5 2nd gen and getting a tick, also. Sounds like an injector or a lifter; the colder the louder it is at startup only. Dealer couldn't replicate the problem to diagnose the issue. I recorded startup every morning since returning from dealer, but I isolated the problem to the right bank of the engine. I need to remove the plastic engine cover and try it... I believe it the injector... anyone else experiencing this?
Right bank meaning pass side correct? Noisy lifters are always a possibility, but likely a mix between your hpfp and your injectors.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Pass side... Cam driven vacuum pump?

·
Registered
578 Posts
My '17 has a knock something like that too from the front passenger side, but it's more metallic and only happens when hot and after the oil has a few thousand miles on it. Dealer told me its the HPFP and to not bring it back for it again. Mine is odd in that it only does it when the engine is hot and with some time on the oil. I would at least tell them about it and have them look at it, at least then its on paper if you have issues down the road. If it's the HPFP then at least you have some comfort in knowing its normal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wrote mine off as a di/hpfp noise. One truck has 40k on it no issues and my work truck now will have 90k on it this coming week. Work truck did have a turbo seal fail at 30-40k but other than that both trucks are flawless, and noisy at a cold idle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
J-Winship
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing