F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Just got a 18 f150 with a 2.7 eco boost. Started getting a cylinder #6 misfire, changed the plugs, was a little better but still missing. Bought a new coil/boot, decided to just try swapping the boot and my problem is solved. I ordered 5 more boots for preventative maintenance using part # FU7Z-12A402-A (everywhere including Ford dealer sites listed as correct). However, this boot appears to be for 15-17 f150 2.7 motors. The boots on the truck are jt4e-12a402-aa. I searched on the web and found nothing. Anyone know where to get the correct boots? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
Have you tried Tascaparts.com?

They take an enormous amount of time to ship and the shipping cost can make you angry, but it has been the sole source for most OEM parts I have been unable to find elsewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Checked Tasca parts and same thing

But when you look at the coil/boot assembly (same one I bought) it’s correct, listed as 18-20 f150s and other 2.7 models built after 12/18.

This is the same across the web no matter where you look. Obviously, if the coil is different then the boot would be different as well. I can’t believe no one else has ran into this in 3 years time since the change in coils or that all these suppliers haven’t had this come up yet. Perhaps I’ll reach out to a dealer but I’m guessing I’ll get the same answer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stopped in at the local Ford parts counter, was told just the boots aren’t available for 18+. He said if they haven’t been released by now that they probably won’t be and you’ll have to buy the coil/boot package. What a bunch of BS.

·
Moderstrator
3,346 Posts
Don't know about the 2.7's so this may be totally worthless. My friend has an 18', 3.5L. He wanted to change the plugs, I suggested he get the boots. No one locally, including several dealers and virtually no internet stores (i.e. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto) had those for his truck. I think he ran them down at RockAuto. They are way different than the ones for a 3.5L, 2016. He got a set and we put them in.

RockAuto shows these available for a 2018 with a 2.7L and they look like the ones I installed on his truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the 5 I’m returning are from Rock Auto. Every supplier including them has replacement boots grouped as any 2.7 from 15 to 20 which is incorrect. I didn’t think to take a pic of the 2 boots next to each other but the wrong ones have a more rounded top, slightly smaller I.D. And slightly shorter than the ones in the motor/attached to the new coil. I believe 3.5s are yet another variety of coil and/or boot.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F150 XL 2.7 Supercab
213 Posts
"I believe 3.5s are yet another variety of coil and/or boot." Correct, as I had Amazon send me 3.5 boots a while back for my 2.7.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
764 Posts
Do you have a picture of the OEM boot you took off, or did you mention that already...running on fumes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course I didn’t think to but here are pics of the coil assemblies

18 & up F150 2.7

17 and down f150 2.7

not as easy to see in the pics but the boot itself is different as I described before, so is the coil

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Part Number: FU7Z12A402A could this be what you're looking for?

They should be fine even after 3 years,. Is the plug carbon tracked along the porcelain? This could be addressed with a thin layer of dielectric grease on the inner boot or plug porcelain.
What are the gaps set to? My tuned 2.7 likes a tight gap at .026. Ford has reduced the gap specs to .028-.030.
In spite of the different part numbers the boots may be compatable over generation changes. The part number for the plugs changed but old plugs still work fine in newer models so that would not be unheard of. KM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts