F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just in case anyone here decides to ditch the B&O system the easiest way is with a Navtv ZEN-A2B and a DSP like the Dayton Audio DSP-408. The ZEN-A2B replaces the factory B&O amp and then provides RCA out or a fiber optic TOSlink output. The DSP-408 will accept either but the TOSLink is much easier to do as it is one cable and a good one costs maybe $25. From here you RCA out of the DSP-408 to your amps and go to town.

Why a DSP? You will need to realign the timing on the speakers so get the most out of your system. I live in a metro that has 900,000 people and there are a couple of shops here that say they can tune but I am going to have dhmcfadin over on f150forum.com do a remote tune on my '20. I had a local shop tune my '14 limited and it was okay but I did not fully realize the potential that was left on the table. dhmcfadin cost about as much as the local shop but he will walk you through everything he does and it takes about 4-5 hours. I am a geek on stuff like that and knowing how to do this myself is a huge plus.

Another note on utilizing a DSP, unhook the center channel and do not look back. You will not need it with the correct tune.

Do understand that it is not an absolute that you install a DSP device as you can go straight from the ZEN-A2B to your amps but the DSP is a game changer with the ability to tune the stereo to the interior of the vehicle. Do some searching and if you like this stuff you will spend as much time on it than most people on tik tok.

You can also utilize the factory amp and high level into a DSP and it will work but the ZEN-A2B basically guarantees all of the functionality of the stock head unit and all of the alerts that come across the speakers will work.

With these trucks being an aluminum body it is highly recommended that you pull the same size ground cable from your battery as the power cable. Ground all your amps, DSP, ZEN-A2B, etc to the ground from the battery. This will just about guarantee no noise in the audio signals and all your gear will be happy. I would also suggest that you upgrade the battery to high current battery junction box wire as the factory one is way too small. You should also upgrade the battery to body ground, battery to block ground, and cab to chassis ground. I have a thread going on F150forum.com that explains all of this here:

Something to note is that the tweeters are powered from the ACM (audio control module) and the center channel and door speakers and sub are powered by the B&O amp/dsp (according to the Ford wiring diagrams) which makes things interesting in grabbing a clean signal for a high level input into a DSP. My understanding is the front tweeters are full range and the rest of the speakers are crossed over by the B&O amp/dsp. If anyone wants the B&O wiring you can log into F150forum.com and get them here in Posts 2, 3, & 4:

and OEM B&O wiring connectors pin out can be found here in Post #2:

Did not want to hijack this thread but wanted to post up what I have found as I am about to gut my '20 and install 1900 watts of Fosgate, Alpine, JL Audio, Navtv, Audison, and alot of wiring. This will all be tuned remotely by dhmcafdin. Hopefully this info is usefule to one, some or all that read it. I got a lot of info here when I had my '14 Limited (have serveral threads on here with installs on that truck) and wanted to pay some of that back.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Good choice going with dhmcfadin, he has quite a good reputation. Doles out excellent advice. Keep us up to date. KM

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Dom's (Dhmcfadin) remote tune was the best money I've spent on my system, Just wish I didn’t waste around $400 on the other shops that tuned it in person.
He will be remote tuning any system I have from here forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 43 of 43 Posts