F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I am driving a 2018 F-150 XLT, 2wd, 3.3L V6, crew cab while my 2013 XLT, 4x4, 3.5L EcoBoost, Super crew is having service done at the dealership. I drive 30 miles to work, about an hour in traffic. It didn't take the full hour for me to decide that I did not like the truck very much. It is not an EcoBoost which may have something to do with at least one of my complaints. I would just like to hear from other late model owners if they are happy with their trucks. This might also be an argument for buying a used truck with a nicer trim level. The sticker on this truck is $39,XXX. The sticker on mine in 2013 was $37,XXX. Here is a list of things that turned me off.

- The engine shuts off when the truck is at a stop light. The air conditioning goes warm too, and I am in Texas. Maybe there is a way to turn this off? Is this just on the 3.3L?
- The gauge cluster screen looks more like the one in a 2004 Expedition I owned. It just looks cheap because the screen is the same size but a third of it doesn't display anything.
- The plastic steering wheel feels horrible. My 2013 has leather wrapped. I never knew how important that was.
- It averaged 16.2 MPGs my EcoBoost averages 23 on the same road in the same conditions.
- The seat was manual and uncomfortable
- The pedals don't adjust. So, If I scoot my seat back to get my legs at the right distance for the pedals the steering wheel is too far away.
- I didn't like the steering. It felt looser than on my 2013.
- I think the mirrors are smaller.

Some of those things are petty but we are talking a lot less truck for more money. I think I will be driving my 13' for several more years.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
Today I am driving a 2018 F-150 XLT, 2wd, 3.3L V6, crew cab while my 2013 XLT, 4x4, 3.5L EcoBoost, Super crew is having service done at the dealership. I drive 30 miles to work, about an hour in traffic. It didn't take the full hour for me to decide that I did not like the truck very much. It is not an EcoBoost which may have something to do with at least one of my complaints. I would just like to hear from other late model owners if they are happy with their trucks. This might also be an argument for buying a used truck with a nicer trim level. The sticker on this truck is $39,XXX. The sticker on mine in 2013 was $37,XXX. Here is a list of things that turned me off.

- The engine shuts off when the truck is at a stop light. The air conditioning goes warm too, and I am in Texas. Maybe there is a way to turn this off? Is this just on the 3.3L?
This is on all the non-diesel F150's. There is a button to press to turn off the auto stop/start feature.
- The gauge cluster screen looks more like the one in a 2004 Expedition I owned. It just looks cheap because the screen is the same size but a third of it doesn't display anything.
A more basic truck will have more basic features
- The plastic steering wheel feels horrible. My 2013 has leather wrapped. I never knew how important that was.
- It averaged 16.2 MPGs my EcoBoost averages 23 on the same road in the same conditions.
A small naturally aspirated engine will have to work harder to haul that much weight with stop-n-go city driving. Highway miles ought to be much better.
Are you sure it's an XLT and not just an XL??
- The pedals don't adjust. So, If I scoot my seat back to get my legs at the right distance for the pedals the steering wheel is too far away.
Are you built like a T-Rex? LOL

Some of those things are petty but we are talking a lot less truck for more money. I think I will be driving my 13' for several more years.
See my notes/questions above. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds like you drove more of an XL than XLT, just a base, stripped down truck with the base motor and 6-speed.

- Yes, they all have auto start/stop, but it's as easy to turn off as pushing a button (literally)
- Can't say anything about the gauges, I have the smaller screen and it displays everything I need (except boost)
- Plastic wheel makes me think it was an XL, or the most basic XLT
- MPG's are dependent on driving style, but the 3.3 wasn't built for economy, plus it has the 6sp
- The steering has changed to electric assist, and the truck is lighter in general being aluminum
- Not sure about the mirros

I wouldn't use that truck as a baseline for comparing your truck to, or using as a judgment call for buying a new one.

Test drive a well packaged XLT or Lariat with either Eco-Boost or the Yote and THEN make the comparison.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yea like the others said you likely drove a super basic loaner rather than a decent XLT because i for one LOVE my 18 haha

·
Registered
642 Posts

that's the bare bones base model with no options. its a rental, dude.

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
Today I am driving a 2018 F-150 XLT, 2wd, 3.3L V6, crew cab while my 2013 XLT, 4x4, 3.5L EcoBoost, Super crew is having service done at the dealership. I drive 30 miles to work, about an hour in traffic. It didn't take the full hour for me to decide that I did not like the truck very much. It is not an EcoBoost which may have something to do with at least one of my complaints. I would just like to hear from other late model owners if they are happy with their trucks. This might also be an argument for buying a used truck with a nicer trim level. The sticker on this truck is $39,XXX. The sticker on mine in 2013 was $37,XXX. Here is a list of things that turned me off. Buying a used truck with a nicer trim level will actually yield you to have a higher price due to incentives on new trucks...unless you were looking to purchase at least a 2 year old vehicle. There is almost no budging on price on a used vehicle.

- The engine shuts off when the truck is at a stop light. The air conditioning goes warm too, and I am in Texas. Maybe there is a way to turn this off? Is this just on the 3.3L? Yes, it's called Auto Start/Stop. You can disable it with a button above the dash or have the dealership shut if off completely. The A/C does get warm during this time, but (like I mentioned) you can shut it off with a touch of a button
- The gauge cluster screen looks more like the one in a 2004 Expedition I owned. It just looks cheap because the screen is the same size but a third of it doesn't display anything. The screen on my 2018 XLT is VERY similar to the 2013 F150 FX4 I had previously, with a few more useful screens. My guess is you had the lowest XLT model offered,
- The plastic steering wheel feels horrible. My 2013 has leather wrapped. I never knew how important that was. My XLT Sport steering wheel is leather wrapped and softer than my 2013's was. It feels like it actually has padding underneath it. Again, you most likely drove the most basic XLT available
- It averaged 16.2 MPGs my EcoBoost averages 23 on the same road in the same conditions. I highly doubt your 2013 averages 23mpg unless its downhill both ways on the same road. My 2018 is averaging over 5 mpg better currently...with CITY driving
- The seat was manual and uncomfortable Base model
- The pedals don't adjust. So, If I scoot my seat back to get my legs at the right distance for the pedals the steering wheel is too far away. Base model
- I didn't like the steering. It felt looser than on my 2013. No comment
- I think the mirrors are smaller. The mirrors actually do appear smaller and take some getting used to...but once you put some miles on the truck you realize they actually have a larger field of view.

I'll go off what Elmore has stated. Especially since I went from a 2013 FX4 that was completely loaded (appearance package) that stickered for $53K to an 2018 XLT Sport that stickered at $49K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I think my issue overall is the price. This Truck cost just as much as mine In Jan. of 14. We are only talking about ~4 years here. how much have the prices increased?

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I think my issue overall is the price. This Truck cost just as much as mine In Jan. of 14. We are only talking about ~4 years here. how much have the prices increased?
The change over to so much aluminum (versus the continued use of steel) demanded a significant price hike...at least that's the official word from Ford. ;)

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
My $53,000 truck now stickers for $62,000 dollars. Aluminum and electronics are two of the major reasons for that.

If you don't think the electronics have changed that much in 4 years, go ahead and test drive a 2018 Lariat

·
Administrator
773 Posts
I just got my 2018 with the 2.7 the other day and I'm very happy with it.
The auto stop start works well to me, but there are times are turn it off. As mentioned it's just a button press.
The mirrors felt weird to me at first but I find them great now, especially towing.
The screen in the cluster shows a lot compared to what I'm used to, but I think there are two levels of screens in there? You likely had the lesser of the two.
My steering wheel is leather wrapped so no comment there.
Steering feels nice and tight to me, but very light, likely due to the truck being lighter I guess.
My 2.7 is getting about 29mpg (imperial) avg (mostly highway). That's hand calculated, the dash shows it closer to 31.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
In my part of the country that $39,000 truck will sell for $29,000 +ttl. (or close)

It's not going to campare well with an XLT 302A truck at all. (which would go for about $34k if 2WD)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Inflation accounts for ~8% price increase since 2014. That means a $35000 then should cost close to $38k now. A $50k truck is $54k.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts