F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Has anyone had any major issues after having the Cam Phaser replacement performed by Ford?
I have a 2018 F150 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, love this truck! (I have 87K miles on it)
With the exception of that annoying start up rattle, I’ve never had any issues with this truck, purred like a kitten, never had an engine light come on, nothing!
I live in CA, make regular trips to Az., last year two round trips to NC to move two of my kids out there, each time towing a different car, never any issues!
Jump to Nov last year (2021), receive my recall or whatever they called it, to reprogram my Cam Phaser, took it in to my local Ford dealer, 2 days later it was ready for pick up. Went in, walked with service advisor to have him start it up in case reprogram didn’t help issue. Sure enough, cold start up still rattles!
Since I have high miles, I didn’t want to go past the 90k point where i would have to pay 100% of repair. Service Advisor said he’d contact Ford to ok Cam Phaser repair. The next day he called me back and said Ford would cover their 33% (personally i think recall or whatever they call it should be covered by them 100%!!)
Anyway advisor said i might as well come pick up my truck since they had no replacement parts in stock and no idea when they would be in, they would contact me. So i picked it up.
Start up rattle seemed a little louder than i remembered, and after about 4 weeks of sporadic driving (driving my Jeep build in between) my engine light came on. At that point i parked it.
Finally in mid Jan 2022, i called Ford (since they never called me), ask Service Advisor if my parts were in, they transferred me to Parts who had no idea why Service transferred me, they sent me back to Service to leave a message. Of course, no one called me back. I finally had to go in face to face with them. I get the new guy, he needs my Vin # so parts can verify they have the right parts for my truck, i tell him, it’s there on top of my service invoice! They wil call me! LOL, 2 days later i call service manager, he checks and says he has parts, bring truck in next day and they’ll get right on it. A week later i get a call, cool, my truck is ready! LOL, New Service advisor says we’ll be starting you truck soon, we were waiting on parts! Anyway 4 days later, Friday Jan 28 my truck is finally ready, i pay my BS 66% ($1700) and my truck is back home!
all the next week, again sporatic driving since I’m working from home right now, but i notice a definite odd vibration/idle issue and at around 30 miles an hour that shudder feeling! Anyone who knows their truck, knows when there is something new happening! When at a stop light, i can feel the truck vibrate thru my seat and see it noticeably by how my window mounted phone is vibrating back and forth. Never had those issues before, so i was planning on taking it back to Ford, maybe it was because after initial Cam Phaser reprogram, Ford didn’t reprogram it back to it’s original settings like they were supposed to do when Reprogram didn’t work. But before i could bring it back, my engine light came on again! Again, never had a issue until Ford touched my truck!
So, yesterday dropped it off at the dealer, today i get a call! Service Advisor tells me i have no compression in #4 cylinder! What did they do to my truck!!!! They say I will need a new motor at a price of around $13K!!!!! He is going to talk to Ford to see if they will help in anyway!
I went for a perfect running truck with a little rattle to a truck that needs a new motor???
If Ford doesn’t help, does anyone know what my options are to get this resolved??

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,648 Posts
A really really lousy scenario. And a perfect example of why I will NOT let them do anything invasive to my truck if it is absolutely not necessary.

That's just amazing.
But honestly, I don't trust them enough to believe their diagnosis. And if it IS true that a cylinder has been dropped, I would be 100% convinced it was a result of their (attempted) repair.

Reactions: HB150

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Wow. That's horrible. Good luck.
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: HB150

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
you should be proactive and call Ford Customer Service (get Ford involved ASAP don't rely on this dealership they have already proven to be incompetent) and report the Stealership, and for what it's worth find an other dealership if possible and do yourself a favor and get a second opinion

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Wow, any update!

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,432 Posts
so this is from someone I’ve kept in contact with throughout the years, very knowledgeable about these engines and performance vehicles in general. He also has his own ford ids software among other things.

I thought it was interesting, I’m just gonna copy and paste what he said

"The trucks that have the surge/shudder after the update need new designed heads, there is a small oil pressure loss that comes from a warped casting this issue is more common on 2017's but can happy in with any year although not common in general.

he said there’s a Ford technician service bulletin also.

Take that for what it is but as I mentioned I fully trust this guy’s knowledge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
so this is from someone I’ve kept in contact with throughout the years, very knowledgeable about these engines and performance vehicles in general. He also has his own ford ids software among other things.

I thought it was interesting, I’m just gonna copy and paste what he said

"The trucks that have the surge/shudder after the update need new designed heads, there is a small oil pressure loss that comes from a warped casting this issue is more common on 2017's but can happy in with any year although not common in general.

he said there’s a Ford technician service bulletin also.

Take that for what it is but as I mentioned I fully trust this guy’s knowledge.
So if we are still experiencing noise/problems then how would we be able to get the updated designed heads? Or the TSB that goes along with that?
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my cam phasers replaced because they were rattling in June of 2020. Well, low and behold they are starting to rattle again. I called Ford about it and they are saying they would want me to pay this time to get it fixed because the truck is out of warranty. I have 78,000 on the truck now, but only about 20,000 on the new phasers. Shouldn't Ford be responsible for fixing it since it seems like they used faulty parts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had my cam phasers replaced because they were rattling in June of 2020. Well, low and behold they are starting to rattle again. I called Ford about it and they are saying they would want me to pay this time to get it fixed because the truck is out of warranty. I have 78,000 on the truck now, but only about 20,000 on the new phasers. Shouldn't Ford be responsible for fixing it since it seems like they used faulty parts?
I dont think so as there is a separate warrenty that is until September of this year if you had the phasers replaced under the FSA. I would read through it and then bring it to ford.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
did you have a dealership do it or a just a local mechanic? either way I would think that there's a parts warranty that should come into play

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,
Has anyone had any major issues after having the Cam Phaser replacement performed by Ford?
I have a 2018 F150 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, love this truck! (I have 87K miles on it)
With the exception of that annoying start up rattle, I’ve never had any issues with this truck, purred like a kitten, never had an engine light come on, nothing!
I live in CA, make regular trips to Az., last year two round trips to NC to move two of my kids out there, each time towing a different car, never any issues!
Jump to Nov last year (2021), receive my recall or whatever they called it, to reprogram my Cam Phaser, took it in to my local Ford dealer, 2 days later it was ready for pick up. Went in, walked with service advisor to have him start it up in case reprogram didn’t help issue. Sure enough, cold start up still rattles!
Since I have high miles, I didn’t want to go past the 90k point where i would have to pay 100% of repair. Service Advisor said he’d contact Ford to ok Cam Phaser repair. The next day he called me back and said Ford would cover their 33% (personally i think recall or whatever they call it should be covered by them 100%!!)
Anyway advisor said i might as well come pick up my truck since they had no replacement parts in stock and no idea when they would be in, they would contact me. So i picked it up.
Start up rattle seemed a little louder than i remembered, and after about 4 weeks of sporadic driving (driving my Jeep build in between) my engine light came on. At that point i parked it.
Finally in mid Jan 2022, i called Ford (since they never called me), ask Service Advisor if my parts were in, they transferred me to Parts who had no idea why Service transferred me, they sent me back to Service to leave a message. Of course, no one called me back. I finally had to go in face to face with them. I get the new guy, he needs my Vin # so parts can verify they have the right parts for my truck, i tell him, it’s there on top of my service invoice! They wil call me! LOL, 2 days later i call service manager, he checks and says he has parts, bring truck in next day and they’ll get right on it. A week later i get a call, cool, my truck is ready! LOL, New Service advisor says we’ll be starting you truck soon, we were waiting on parts! Anyway 4 days later, Friday Jan 28 my truck is finally ready, i pay my BS 66% ($1700) and my truck is back home!
all the next week, again sporatic driving since I’m working from home right now, but i notice a definite odd vibration/idle issue and at around 30 miles an hour that shudder feeling! Anyone who knows their truck, knows when there is something new happening! When at a stop light, i can feel the truck vibrate thru my seat and see it noticeably by how my window mounted phone is vibrating back and forth. Never had those issues before, so i was planning on taking it back to Ford, maybe it was because after initial Cam Phaser reprogram, Ford didn’t reprogram it back to it’s original settings like they were supposed to do when Reprogram didn’t work. But before i could bring it back, my engine light came on again! Again, never had a issue until Ford touched my truck!
So, yesterday dropped it off at the dealer, today i get a call! Service Advisor tells me i have no compression in #4 cylinder! What did they do to my truck!!!! They say I will need a new motor at a price of around $13K!!!!! He is going to talk to Ford to see if they will help in anyway!
I went for a perfect running truck with a little rattle to a truck that needs a new motor???
If Ford doesn’t help, does anyone know what my options are to get this resolved??
I have the same truck with 42,000 miles on it. I took it in a few months ago for the 21B10 update, which did nothing. I got the cold start rattle around 41,000 miles. I never would have purchased this truck had I known about this issue. Should have done better research before I bought it. I did research the 3.5 EB engine but never saw any mention about cam phaser issues. I will consider replacing the cam phasers if they have been updated to correct the problem once and for all. From what I have read on the Forums though is replacing them only results in the same issue occurring again after another 20,000 - 30,000 miles. I have no idea what to do. I am tempted to live with the rattle as I am having no other problems. Some posts say you have to replace the phasers but I have also read posts where folks did nothing and seemed to be okay. I am tempted just to trade this truck in and buy something I can have confidence in. I would rather not have to worry about the possibility of having to spend thousands of dollars to maintain the truck over the next 5-8 years I had planned to keep it. I read all the issues you are having and am thinking I don't want to get myself into the same problems your experiencing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same truck with 42,000 miles on it. I took it in a few months ago for the 21B10 update, which did nothing. I got the cold start rattle around 41,000 miles. I never would have purchased this truck had I known about this issue. Should have done better research before I bought it. I did research the 3.5 EB engine but never saw any mention about cam phaser issues. I will consider replacing the cam phasers if they have been updated to correct the problem once and for all. From what I have read on the Forums though is replacing them only results in the same issue occurring again after another 20,000 - 30,000 miles. I have no idea what to do. I am tempted to live with the rattle as I am having no other problems. Some posts say you have to replace the phasers but I have also read posts where folks did nothing and seemed to be okay. I am tempted just to trade this truck in and buy something I can have confidence in. I would rather not have to worry about the possibility of having to spend thousands of dollars to maintain the truck over the next 5-8 years I had planned to keep it. I read all the issues you are having and am thinking I don't want to get myself into the same problems your experiencing.
I am having an issue getting them to replace the parts they already replaced. As you stated, I got mine replaced around 20-21,000 miles ago. It started to rattle again. They want me to pay the 34% of whatever mine percentage is after theirs with their numbers. I told them that if I have not had it fixed before I could see paying that, but because I have had it fixed, I feel they put faulty parts in again. Now I am being told I have to leave my truck at the dealership for them to send my request higher.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,648 Posts
What year is your truck?
If it's 2017-2020, I'd not panic yet.

First though, if you say you "researched" the Ecoboost and didn't see timing chain and/or phasers mentioned, you need to change search engines. :)

But seriously, breeeeaaaath.
The FIRST thing I'd do is an oil change. Perhaps even change oil brands to see if the clatter is gone.

Also, what's your mileage? Are you under warranty still? If so, get some fresh phasers. If not, did fresh oil stop the clatter? And if so, you can also pre-oil those phasers on a coldstart by using a maintenance start routine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I change the oil every 3,000 miles but I can try going with a better oil/filter as some posts have suggested. I have been doing the start routine but still get a very brief clutter. My miles are 42,658. I just got done talking to a Ford rep. I missed the 21B10 cutoff date by one day. I had scheduled my reprogram prior to that but had to cancel due to a snow storm. I told the rep that and I believe they are going to work with me on that so perhaps I can get the cam phasers replaced free of charge. I am not that worried about it, will just go with the flow. It is what it is :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I change the oil every 3,000 miles but I can try going with a better oil/filter as some posts have suggested. I have been doing the start routine but still get a very brief clutter. My miles are 42,658. I just got done talking to a Ford rep. I missed the 21B10 cutoff date by one day. I had scheduled my reprogram prior to that but had to cancel due to a snow storm. I told the rep that and I believe they are going to work with me on that so perhaps I can get the cam phasers replaced free of charge. I am not that worried about it, will just go with the flow. It is what it is :)
2018-F150

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
My brother and I both had 2018's
(he still does, I'm in a 2022)

He started getting coldstart clack at around 40,000 miles and he was religious about 3-4k oil change intervals.
He also was a dedicated Mobile 1 guy.

So coldstart clacks for the last 2 years.
Not terrible sounding, but definitely a phaser sounding dry and chasing its desired position.

He text me a couple of months ago and said "thanks bro. I should have listened to you a long time ago"

I replied??????

I tried your favorite oil. Truck hasn't made a sound since.

I know what your next question is and I'm reluctant to answer it. But just know that if my brother is correct, oil matters. At least in his case.

There's a bunch of good oils out there. Look for one that makes your phasers happy.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,
Hi All,
My brother and I both had 2018's
(he still does, I'm in a 2022)

He started getting coldstart clack at around 40,000 miles and he was religious about 3-4k oil change intervals.
He also was a dedicated Mobile 1 guy.

So coldstart clacks for the last 2 years.
Not terrible sounding, but definitely a phaser sounding dry and chasing its desired position.

He text me a couple of months ago and said "thanks bro. I should have listened to you a long time ago"

I replied??????

I tried your favorite oil. Truck hasn't made a sound since.

I know what your next question is and I'm reluctant to answer it. But just know that if my brother is correct, oil matters. At least in his case.

There's a bunch of good oils out there. Look for one that makes your phasers happy.
I will give that a try. Thanks for the info

1 - 20 of 21 Posts