F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I have received my front pair of Eibach pro struts. Looking on line everything I have seen is showing how to remove and install struts on the 4 wheel drive F150. Is there any difference in the procedure for the 2 wheel drive F150?

Yup exactly the same. What ever you do don't loosen off the bottom control arm bolts or you can kiss your alignment goodbye. Disconnect the sway bar end links and the control arm drops down plenty far.

Reactions: snakebitten
Depending on what lift you set it can be a squeeze to get the coilover under the UCA. KM

Depending on what lift you set it can be a squeeze to get the coilover under the UCA. KM
Wait, aren’t these snap ring adjustable height shocks like the Bilstein’s 5100’s? I looked at the pic and it appeared to be the same concept. If that’s the case the coil over assembly is the same extended length regardless of which groove the snap ring is sitting in. The spring is just compressed a bit tighter.

Now if you’re talking about picking up a bit of space between the lower seat and the bottom of the shock when seated in the highest ring groove I can understand that perhaps it’s easier to maneuver.

EDIT:

I’ve been thinking about this, are you separating the lower ball joint or removing the lower control arm bolts to install the assembly? I’d think that doing so would definitely make things more difficult. It would also explain why I can’t see this in my head. I’ve never had one apart that way.

Wait, aren’t these snap ring adjustable height shocks like the Bilstein’s 5100’s? I looked at the pic and it appeared to be the same concept. If that’s the case the coil over assembly is the same extended length regardless of which groove the snap ring is sitting in. The spring is just compressed a bit tighter.

Now if you’re talking about picking up a bit of space between the lower seat and the bottom of the shock when seated in the highest ring groove I can understand that perhaps it’s easier to maneuver.

EDIT:

I’ve been thinking about this, are you separating the lower ball joint or removing the lower control arm bolts to install the assembly? I’d think that doing so would definitely make things more difficult. It would also explain why I can’t see this in my head. I’ve never had one apart that way.
I unbolted my LCA at the frame and used a floor jack to support it. Once i got the Bilsteins bolted on i just cranked the jack back up and slid the lca bolts back through. It was very easy.

Put the bolts right back where they were before and the shop I brought the truck through said the alignment was spot on.

EDIT:

Yeah the Icons are on the vehicle adjustable for ride height. Mine were set for 2 inches plus from Icon and needed some squeeze to get in. The measured lift right after install was 3+ inches. Went to the top of the shock adjustment threads to get 1 3/4 inch front lift. I did the adjustment after driving home to get them settled in.

Reactions: snakebitten
Discussion starter · #11 ·
I will add in case anyone with a rear wheel drive is debating this. I am loving it! I have no regrets except I wished I had installed them sooner. I got a pretty good deal on KYB Gas Adjust shocks that I also installed on the rear first. Truck truly handles so much better now.

I will add in case anyone with a rear wheel drive is debating this. I am loving it! I have no regrets except I wished I had installed them sooner. I got a pretty good deal on KYB Gas Adjust shocks that I also installed on the rear first. Truck truly handles so much better now.
Not surprising to hear.

It's almost my mantra....... First mod would be new damping. Truck damping. They don't come from Ford ready to be used as a truck.

But admittedly, there's a sizable percentage of folks that might never, or rarely, use the truck in a way that the OEM damping is a fail.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.