F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

2018 here and the startup rattle has begun, 35k miles. Any indication if the current fix (phaser replacement etc etc) is holding up? Or is it still too early to tell?

I have an extended warranty so I can get it fixed for free, but I certainly don't to fix it just to have it recur again.

On another note, I do wonder if leasing is the way to go with these new complex machines....

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,857 Posts
If it's the 2018, and this is just my opinion, don't panic. It's not usually the same issue as if it would be on a 11-16. You may very well have a completely healthy timing chain and variable valve ensemble. But with phasers that are leaking down more than they should while the truck sits.

Obviously if you are under warranty and you desire Ford to replace the noisy phasers, go for it. But if you simply change the oil and notice fresh oil solved the issue for a while, that would indicate a shorter oil change interval might be all that is needed?

Also you can cheat a little and use the coldstart pre-oiling routine on a truck that's been sitting and might never hear a dry phaser again.

Ford did release new designed phasers early 2019. Many have reported it solved the problem, others have said it eventually returns. Ford also attempted a software patch to address it but quickly put a hold on the procedure because it introduced new issues with a lot of folks. Something to do with transmission behavior?

Like you said, these dang things are complex.

I treated my 2018 to lots of fresh oil, a different weight even, and the coldstart pre-oiling routine if I had left it sitting a few days. Never heard a peep out of those noisy dang phasers.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DHeiling

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
On another note, I do wonder if leasing is the way to go with these new complex machines....
my last F150 I leased only because I got an amazing deal and I wanted to get the heck out of my 2013 3.5 eco-boost, I have to say it was probably the least stressful vehicle I’ve ever had knowing in the back of my mind it would be going back long before warranty was up.
literally never stressed about one thing with that truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,857 Posts
Who would stress driving a Hertz? :)

Reactions: Nisco

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Who would stress driving a Hertz? :)

You guys have hertz rental car down there too? it’s funny you say that because I found out after the fact my 2013 came from a hertz rental place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Fix and continue to enjoy. Its free, just make sure you take it to a decent dealership and let them take care of it.

Speaking of rentals, my rental was owned by Budget before I bought it and it showed. Got it dirt cheap, immediately had the phasers done, new chains while at it and then did the VVT solenoids after having the driver's side bank cause issues during a road trip and its been great otherwise. Even during the road trip I pulled over, shut the truck off for 30 seconds or so, fired it back up and drove another couple hundred miles without issue. It would run a couple hours then when I slowed it would start to stumble, lose power, wouldnt shift passed like 6th or 8th gear and idle poorly and pop a CEL. Pull over, shut it off and restart and it would run flawlessly the rest of the trip. Did this maybe 4 or 5 times while I waited for the parts to show up and has been perfect since.

Have it fixed under warranty and if its going to be a while before they can get to you (ordering parts and the likes) then do the cold start trick talked about alot around here, floor the gas and the turn the key, let it crank until it quits, let off the gas and start it up. No noise due to the oiling system having been primed before hand!

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there any more news or updates on the cold start rattle on the 2018 3.5 EcoBoost? I live in Phoenix AZ and I have a 2018 F150. It currently has 74K miles on it. I started hearing the clacking noise maybe around 60K miles. I brought it into the dealer and they did a software update on my truck a few days ago and it still has the morning clacking . Current temp out here is 75 degrees F so not really a cold temps. Is the clacking something to be worried about if I must run it as is another 75K miles or will it eventually get worse and cause additional issues?

Or is there something I can do to address the issue.
Last question: Is this issue covered under that standard warranty? Currently 74K miles on this truck.

·
Registered
2018 King Ranch 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4; previous 2009 King Ranch, V8 4x4
6 Posts
Just had my 2018 F150 3.5L in yesterday as it developed the infamous rattle after an oil/filter change about 10 days ago. Just 38,500 miles on it. Dealer did the software update as expected and the rattle was still present when I picked it up. Said they'd sent a "hotline" message to Ford to request guidance and was waiting a response. Called me about two hours later with news that Ford wanted them to replace the phasers and they were ordering the parts.

I've seen a couple on-line comments about more frequent oil changes and heavier weight oil being helpful. Any specific suggestions on weight vs the recommended synthetic 5W30?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Just had my 2018 F150 3.5L in yesterday as it developed the infamous rattle after an oil/filter change about 10 days ago. Just 38,500 miles on it. Dealer did the software update as expected and the rattle was still present when I picked it up. Said they'd sent a "hotline" message to Ford to request guidance and was waiting a response. Called me about two hours later with news that Ford wanted them to replace the phasers and they were ordering the parts.

I've seen a couple on-line comments about more frequent oil changes and heavier weight oil being helpful. Any specific suggestions on weight vs the recommended synthetic 5W30?
What oil and filter was used for your most recent oil change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
What oil and filter was used for your most recent oil change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I will have to check on the filter and oil. I bring it to Cobblestone. I know I always have them put in the full synthetic. I did actually bring my truck to the Ford dealership and they explained that there is a Customer Satisfaction Program 21B10. I have an appointment to have the VTC Phasers replaced under warranty. Because I am 74K they will cover 66% of the repair. it would have been all covered up to 69,999 miles. So this is a huge issue for Ford. I was actually shocked that I did not get a notification from Ford regarding this. I can imagine that this will not be cheap for Ford to address this. Typical cost to do this work is $3000-$4000 ouch!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Follow up - had the truck into replace the phasers and they did the timing chain as well. Took a day and a half to complete the repair, labor was 9.5 hours from what I saw. I know they had to let the engine cool before they opened it up from my 24 mile trip to the dealer before they could begin. Upon starting it to head home had the "check engine" light come on. Back into the shop and they found the manifold pressure sensor needed replacing. Said they hadn't seen that before in doing a few other phaser repairs. Had to order part and they want me to swing by later today or Tuesday to get it replaced, mechanic said it would have no impact on driving the truck between now and then. Headed home with it and upon starting, no check engine light showed up. Drove it a few more times and the light has remained off after starting. Will swing by and get the sensor replaced anyway as who knows what's going on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealer replaced the sensor on Friday and the check engine light remained off on the trip home where I parked it overnight. Drove the truck about 2 miles the next morning and then the light came back on. My son-in-law happened to swing by and used his OCDII tool to read what codes were being thrown. P04DB, "Crankcase Ventilation System Disconnected". Took the truck back to the dealer this morning where they found the dipstick o-ring was broken so it wasn't sealing so it was repaired. I'd also noticed a smell like burning oil and they discovered that the valve gasket was leaking oil. So now they've ordered another one and I'll have to take the truck back in again for that to be installed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah after the 21N03 repair my truck overheated like crazy. Mine is still at the dealer since their motor tech has Covid. My hope is that eventually this will get ironed out. These motors are super awesome but the slightest issue seems to throw them into a fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Valve gasket replaced on the 10th so was hopeful all is fine. Parked truck over weekend and went out Monday morning to find oil leaking on the garage floor, about 8" diameter spot. Called service manager and told him what I found, took a photo too, and he tried to tell me what I was seeing was just splashed oil underneath from when they replaced gasket. I let him know I didn't see it that way and scheduled a visit for Wednesday. Drove the truck today and let it sit after for about 4 hours and then went and checked and found another puddle of oil underneath. Took photo of this and can't wait to have a conversation tomorrow. His master tech will be back from vacation as well so look forward to that discussion as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hope they get your oil leak fixed. My truck is being parked until the Ford Field Service Engineer can work on it. My dealer is being super cooperative which I appreciate, but they estimate it will be a few more weeks until the FSE can come out. Im puzzled why these things are so difficult to get healthy again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And the bad news just keeps on coming. Dropped the truck off this morning and got a call late morning that low and behold, there is another oil leak like I said there was. I guess the seal on the oil pump is leaking and Ford doesn't provide a replacement seal as part of the Phaser repair saying they should be able to use the old one. Will take another few days to get a new one and they tear apart the engine and do the repair. I am rapidly losing confidence in the abilities of this dealership service team.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So now we are still dealing w/ mechanical timing issues from 3.5 Eco boost day one thru 2019.
Thats one dog year plus.
How about the 2020’s? Do they still suffer from the same mega dollar issue?

·
Premium Member
9,857 Posts
So now we are still dealing w/ mechanical timing issues from 3.5 Eco boost day one thru 2019.
Thats one dog year plus.
How about the 2020’s? Do they still suffer from the same mega dollar issue?
Phasers up until early 2019 are superceded by a redesigned phaser.
I'm not saying Ford has yet to build the no-worry phaser, but the VVT related issues with the 3.5 Ecoboost motor are not the same for the entire life cycle of this motor.

Or put another way, a Coldstart clack on a 2012 and a 2018 might be similar in sound, but be very different problems.

As for 2020's, honestly I don't think we hear much about 2019's either. At least not the builds that got the updated phasers. But I don't think we can know until we have more trucks with more mileage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts