F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think your asking all the right question.

Even with hpfp upgrades the fuel volume these pumps can make isnt enough for the massive amount of fuel required by the ecoboost.

Some problem gm is having with there DI only stuff.

Speculation is a cam with a different high pressure fuel pump lobe is needed to pump the DI pump up more at low rpm.
I'm curious to know the results of fuel lobe only, hpfp only, and both combined. I need to re-read the HPFP results, pretty sure I've seen it around here before but I can't recall the numbers off the top of my head. You're saying there is still a pressure dip at lower rpm?
Also I believe I've seen mention of cam lobe providing 50% more fuel, plus the 35% pump. Combined these could provide double the fuel flow of stock overall?

Just thinking... if we are limited by cams and air to around 550-600, how much fuel does that take? So even if we had 4 HPFPs as some have proposed, you'd still be air limited at 600? And still need new cam profile to use all that fuel.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The GT turbo has a blade design similar to EFR from what i have read FYI.
I recall reading the same things. GT is still a smaller wheel right, so should spin more easily with less flow? So how much difference does that make(rpm), just out of curiosity.

Seems like if you're doing cams though, you wouldn't mess with GTs anymore at all. Why sacrifice so much top end for just a few hundred rpm down low? Especially considering the useable rev range and shift points, as Mr. Matt and others have mentioned.

I know that I'm paying close attention to these 2018 turbos, looks like they're beastly for sure once tuned up.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I'm curious to know the results of fuel lobe only, hpfp only, and both combined. I need to re-read the HPFP results, pretty sure I've seen it around here before but I can't recall the numbers off the top of my head. You're saying there is still a pressure dip at lower rpm?
Also I believe I've seen mention of cam lobe providing 50% more fuel, plus the 35% pump. Combined these could provide double the fuel flow of stock overall?

Just thinking... if we are limited by cams and air to around 550-600, how much fuel does that take? So even if we had 4 HPFPs as some have proposed, you'd still be air limited at 600? And still need new cam profile to use all that fuel.
I'm going off of memory here, but I believe I'm around +50% fuel over stock. 35% from HPFP and 15% from the HPFP Cam.

In testing with this set up, even on the higher demand pull, I never fall below 2000psi at the rail (commanding 2200) and that's for a very limited time. With the stock set up and commanding less boost off the hit, I saw drops as low as 1100psi. So I'm pretty impressed with the cam and pump.

We'll see what limitaions the cams present, but I still think I'll run out of injector or start knocking (due to our gas) before the cams limit.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm going off of memory here, but I believe I'm around +50% fuel over stock. 35% from HPFP and 15% from the HPFP Cam.

In testing with this set up, even on the higher demand pull, I never fall below 2000psi at the rail (commanding 2200) and that's for a very limited time. With the stock set up and commanding less boost off the hit, I saw drops as low as 1100psi. So I'm pretty impressed with the cam and pump.

We'll see what limitaions the cams present, but I still think I'll run out of injector or start knocking (due to our gas) before the cams limit.
You're a stud, Benny! You also upgraded the in-tank right? How much is the returnless set up and in-tank helping with that 50%? Forgot about injectors... when do those run out? I don't think I'll have that issue with GTs, could be an important detail if looking into the 2018 snails. Although it looks like GH is making it work to 510+ and might have another 20 to go. Pretty crazy to me to get 500+ to the wheels with very minimal work

My mind is so scattered trying to recall all this stuff I've read. I'm too busy and shouldn't even be on here lol, sneak in for a quick mental break and am distracted and forced to think.

·
Vendor
7,725 Posts
I have some exhaust tricks I can do to the turbos as well that will prob net another 20+hp at the same boost on these stock housings.... I am waiting to see how drivable the g series are though before I go that route. The baby Garrett G-series may be the best turbos period for a hot street ecoboost...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
13.9 deg matt remember who tried it first. I made you and we did

·
Registered
247 Posts
550hp on stock motor? lol.

You can still use the GT upgrade cant you? And gen 2 should be able to use the 18+ turbos that are better according to fullrace and RMB stated on here. The H.O. engine (raptor, navigator, 19 f150) also apparently have stainless (dont know grade) manifolds which can handle heat better i imagine.

why the lol? there is a few of us making 550whp on good ethanol tunes. but that is pushing the turbos past its limits to achieve that. which is why its a race calibration only not ran often and only in good air.. matter of fact had great luck so far. over 60 data logs. probably 50 booted launches with my 17 fx4 with almost all being sub 4.0s 0-60, so far so good for me. *knocking on wood* good fuel, good air, good calibration and a good set of eyes to monitor the right parameters is key

·
Vendor
7,725 Posts
You're a stud, Benny! You also upgraded the in-tank right? How much is the returnless set up and in-tank helping with that 50%? Forgot about injectors... when do those run out? I don't think I'll have that issue with GTs, could be an important detail if looking into the 2018 snails. Although it looks like GH is making it work to 510+ and might have another 20 to go. Pretty crazy to me to get 500+ to the wheels with very minimal work

My mind is so scattered trying to recall all this stuff I've read. I'm too busy and shouldn't even be on here lol, sneak in for a quick mental break and am distracted and forced to think.
It depends what love profile as to how much more fuel it will produce but stock pumps cannot handle the lobes we use.

There are a few things we will show soon. But we have no issues with fuel on the one lobe or issues with fuel running out flowing 100 plus lb/min. Some cool things happening right now, it will make for some really informative info.

I’m curious how the ATI balancers we carry and use compare to a new one we are working on and plan to test.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
It depends what love profile as to how much more fuel it will produce but stock pumps cannot handle the lobes we use.

There are a few things we will show soon. But we have no issues with fuel on the one lobe or issues with fuel running out flowing 100 plus lb/min. Some cool things happening right now, it will make for some really informative info.

I’m curious how the ATI balancers we carry and use compare to a new one we are working on and plan to test.
You might take a couple of hours off sometime soon and set it aside to SIT DOWN, relax at a desk, and BLOG for a bit. Just download some of that stuff in your head and let us know what's up currently. And yea, maybe a little info on what's coming too.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts

If you care to share, you can use my cam as a example, just so we have a ballpark. I know we went milder knowing the Turbos I was planning on using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
why the lol? there is a few of us making 550whp on good ethanol tunes. but that is pushing the turbos past its limits to achieve that. which is why its a race calibration only not ran often and only in good air.. matter of fact had great luck so far. over 60 data logs. probably 50 booted launches with my 17 fx4 with almost all being sub 4.0s 0-60, so far so good for me. *knocking on wood* good fuel, good air, good calibration and a good set of eyes to monitor the right parameters is key
You think you're making 550 hp at the tires on stock turbos?

·
Registered
149 Posts
550 seems to be achievable with e50. The 5 star e50 tune makes 550hp/600tq on 17+ trucks. On their dyno stock reads 330/415 just to put how the dyno reads in perspective. Once my hub dyno finally shows up I’ll find out what kind of power my 17 can make on E85 with meth injection. Since I’m new to tuning the gen 2 on E85 I don’t know what MBT timing is so I’m stuck on street tuning till I get dyno in and can start ramping up tuning. Right now I’m only running 14-16 degrees timing at 18-20psi. I’m sure mbt is closer to 20 but who knows.

·
Registered
148 Posts
550 seems to be achievable with e50. The 5 star e50 tune makes 550hp/600tq on 17+ trucks. On their dyno stock reads 330/415 just to put how the dyno reads in perspective. Once my hub dyno finally shows up I’ll find out what kind of power my 17 can make on E85 with meth injection. Since I’m new to tuning the gen 2 on E85 I don’t know what MBT timing is so I’m stuck on street tuning till I get dyno in and can start ramping up tuning. Right now I’m only running 14-16 degrees timing at 18-20psi. I’m sure mbt is closer to 20 but who knows.

How much boost is this? You guys need to really watch turbo speed.... I have a feeling it may surprise you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I’m not sure what 5 star e50 tune runs but I would
Imagine 18-20psi. From what I’ve seen so far running over 20psi doesn’t seem to make any more power. 18-20 looks like the sweet spot. Heck I’ll try to run only 15-16psi and see what the hp difference is vs 20. I will make a new thread once my dyno shows up and I can start doing the testing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
[email protected] 111mph. 5250ishlbs. You do the math

·
Registered
247 Posts

How much boost is this? You guys need to really watch turbo speed.... I have a feeling it may surprise you.

Way too much. That's why for me it's a race only calibration. Easily spinning the turbos to 240k-250krpms.

181 - 200 of 240 Posts