F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,962 Posts
ya, it just seem usless to have a 10 speed and such "high" rear gearing is my point. and coupling that with taller tires just seems more like a waste. I understand the 3.5 can do it. just not sure i want to settle for the 3.31. lol im pretty particular. Im not sure if i should keep modding my gen 1 or just bite the bullet on a gen 2.
Dude. Don't get the truck with 3.31. It's not for you ! It wouldn't be for me, either.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
Dude. Don't get the truck with 3.31. It's not for you ! It wouldn't be for me, either.
I thought you were Gen1/6R80?

You're probably taller coming out of the hole than that truck he was looking at, no?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ya out of the hole is not a concern. Its basically wasted gears up top IMHO. I think im just going to pass on this truck and look for a 3.55 rear end. Again I have no doubt the ecoboost will do it with grace, but it seems wasted in the triple overdrive if i can't ever use it.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
I completely understand your point, but I still believe the REAL math behind the 10r80 and the differential will play out as the 3:55 VS 3:31 as almost insignificant. And that's a good thing. The 10r80 really helps with these things.

Still, as long as it isn't a deal breaker on a truck that otherwise is everything you wanted, then no harm no foul. One thing for sure, Ford builds another truck every 42 seconds 24/7/365. There's one exactly like you desire. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Why not buy a truck for truck stuff? Quickest way to castrate a truck is to put lift and big tires on it.
I currently pull my 10k camper with 35" tires at 70 mph with absolutely zero issues. I also do truck pulls with my truck with 35" tires. I also tow my 27' race trailer all over the mid west to races with 35" tires.

Please school me on how i should be using my truck for truck stuff?

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
I gotta admit that 35" tires ARE a truck thing.

What could be more "truck" than big Ole truck shoes?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I currently pull my 10k camper with 35" tires at 70 mph with absolutely zero issues. I also do truck pulls with my truck with 35" tires. I also tow my 27' race trailer all over the mid west to races with 35" tires.

Please school me on how i should be using my truck for truck stuff?
Concerned with vanity and how it messes with functionality.
Large tires are a thing. More times than not though ...Muh u joints, muh mileage,. Muh truck tows like crap. Then trade them off, buy another, tear that one up. Meanwhile, price of trucks go up because supply and demand.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
Large tires are a thing. More times than not though ...Muh u joints, muh mileage,. Muh truck tows like crap. Then trade them off, buy another, tear that one up. Meanwhile, price of trucks go up because supply and demand.
You aren't in a very good mood today.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
o_Oo_O:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

I'm fine with jacked up trucks if they're actually used in an off-road capacity. It's the $150K 1-ton monstrosities rolling around the grocery store on 42"s suspiciously missing a transfer case and front diff that piss me off.

Oh, and any truck with a "Cali lean". I think we can all agree that's retarded.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
I'm fine with jacked up trucks if they're actually used in an off-road capacity.
Hey wait. 35"s don't require a "jacked up truck"

Although I don't mind jacked up trucks regardless

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I thought you were Gen1/6R80?

You're probably taller coming out of the hole than that truck he was looking at, no?

I must have missed something.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
I must have missed something.
You mentioned that the new Gen2 with 3:31 "wouldn't be for you" either.

I made a snarky comeback that your current truck is probably a taller final ratio coming out of the hole than that new truck is.

Wanna race? Lol

You know I love messing with you Arky-neighbor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
While not trying to hijack this thread, I decided to get 4:10s put in my 2013 2WD next week, along with a tru trac LSD. My truck door sticker indicates I have the 3.15, has been really good for me even recently while towing, but I guess the special tow tune and performance tune overcome any glaring fault of the 3:15 for my use cases. that being said, I have 35" tires to put on, and honestly, 4:10s in my tuned truck should be a hooot!!

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
Technically that's not a hijack. It's material to the subject matter of the thread.

However, I doubt anyone would nominate me as the Hijack Police. (I know I wouldn't)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You mentioned that the new Gen2 with 3:31 "wouldn't be for you" either.

I made a snarky comeback that your current truck is probably a taller final ratio coming out of the hole than that new truck is.

Wanna race? Lol

You know I love messing with you Arky-neighbor.

LOL. I got nuttin for any of your Gen 2 trucks. I actually didn't think I would like the 3.55. I've always had 3.73.

·
Registered
56 Posts
While not trying to hijack this thread, I decided to get 4:10s put in my 2013 2WD next week, along with a tru trac LSD. My truck door sticker indicates I have the 3.15, has been really good for me even recently while towing, but I guess the special tow tune and performance tune overcome any glaring fault of the 3:15 for my use cases. that being said, I have 35" tires to put on, and honestly, 4:10s in my tuned truck should be a hooot!!
I’ve got to agree with you on the 3.15’s and I’ve gone up in tire size to the 275/60/r20.
Even driving home from work tonight, I was thinking about my gearing. I am at 1600 rpms at 80mph in 6th, and somewhere close to 2000rpms at 90. The 3.15s = so much wasted top end, though because of it, I may or may not have hit 120 at 2500rpm and lots of peddle left.

I did try to data log my truck on an ‘off-road course’ doing the 3rd gear pull, and hit 90 (going off of fuzzy memory) I believe I was at 4000rpms, I didn’t have the cojones to get to 6000 (guessing that’s why they make dynos).

I still love it that the 3.5 can burn tires in 1st and bark it into 2nd. Next EB is going to get at least 3.55s.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts