F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all first time posting. I am wondering what the groups thoughts are on this subject here. I have a 2019 F150 3.5L EB 4x4 with the BDS 6inch coil over springs, CAI, 93 custom tune, and 37x12.5x18s Nitto Trailgrappers on her. My current gearing is the 3.55 gears you get with the max trailer package from Ford and I am looking to regear them to either the 4.56 Yukons or the 4.88 Yukons. I do a lot of driving on the highway as well as making a couple 1300 mile trips every year. I also do quite a bit offroading in the local area. Trying to find what would be the most friendly to the transmission in the long run as I plan on adding a lot more weight to her.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,046 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :)

With the 10r80 transmission you have a lot of fudge room. Afterall, you have 3 overdrive gears in that lump. Lol

Of course you will have increased the cruising rpms, but if you are OK with that then no problem. I suspect you will be throwing some $ at it though?

·
Moderstrator
4,486 Posts
You've got a lot of gears in your transmission. Going as low as you can go with the differential setup may not be as important as it once was. I wish I could point you to it but can't remember where it is. There is a formula that helps you make a legit comparison of what the equivalency of adding 4" taller tires feels like gear-wise to stock sizing. In theory, you take that formula and depending upon your needs can make a qualified decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah I am not to worried about cruising speed RPMs I usually take it easy sticking around 70-75MPH on the highway. I do have plans to take this truck out to the Ozark's and other type of offroading area's like that. Money wise yeah I have already dumped about 18k into the truck in upgrades and many more $ to be thrown at it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums the past week or so going back and forth between the 4.56 and the 4.88s. I see the charts for tire size to gear ratio being thrown around quite a bit and it seems that the 4.88s fall right in the middle of that chart but I don't know if that chart also takes into account the 10 speed transmission or older 6 speeds that would need to be regeared for that ratio.

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
For that ~$25k or so, maybe should have kept your highway pickup stock for towing and those long trips and got a more capable used off-roader to build.

·
Premium Member
14,046 Posts
$2k
Not $20k :)

A lower geared truck with a 10r80 can definitely have both off road and towing prowess simultaneously. That's what makes it an amazing platform.

If mass-hole ever perfects a good sway bar disconnect then game on!

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
675 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Lariat Supercrew 4x4 SCLB Max Tow
675 Posts
I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums the past week or so going back and forth between the 4.56 and the 4.88s. I see the charts for tire size to gear ratio being thrown around quite a bit and it seems that the 4.88s fall right in the middle of that chart but I don't know if that chart also takes into account the 10 speed transmission or older 6 speeds that would need to be regeared for that ratio.
4.56 is geared with 37s lower vs a 3.73 truck with stock 31s. You could go 4.88 and gain more grunt and still be turning under 2000 rpm in 10th gear. 4.56s engines turning at 1855 rpm at 70 mph vs 4.88 engines turning at 1985 rpm at 70 mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay awesome yeah my biggest worry is I don't want to go with say 4.56s and it still being hard on my transmission then turn around and spend another $2,000 dollars on regearing again. Defiantly just trying to get the best idea I can before I pull the trigger next month. I am defiantly feeling for less than 100 RPMs the 4.88s seem the way to go. And its not like my fuel economy is going to be getting any worse by putting the 4.88's on instead of the 4.56s. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Fun fact. The stock calibration uses a correction factor called N/V Base Value( N over V).
N = Engine Speed
V = Vehicle Speed

This value corrects the shifting for the set tire size and gear ratio. So as long as you adjust your Values in the BdyCM - nothing will be “hard” on the transmission, and shifting should be pretty spot on.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
I just wanna point out that the Raptor with the 37” tire package comes with 4.10’s. I dont think you have to go too crazy.

Reactions: TMcQ150

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
$2k
Not $20k :)

A lower geared truck with a 10r80 can definitely have both off road and towing prowess simultaneously. That's what makes it an amazing platform.

If mass-hole ever perfects a good sway bar disconnect then game on!
He says he already "dumped" 18k into it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For that ~$25k or so, maybe should have kept your highway pickup stock for towing and those long trips and got a more capable used off-roader to build.
At the time I was working as a traveling nurse so I needed a truck that could also be a toy without having to worry about beating it up to bad lol.

·
Premium Member
14,046 Posts
I'm the last person who would (or should) fault someone for $spending on modifications of a vehicle.
I purchased a motorcycle in 2011 for $14k brand new after waiting for it to arrive over a year. Then dropped $20k on modifying the suspension and rigging it for travel.

So I was just responding with moral support for someone else suffering with the malady. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts