F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hooked up the trailer to the 19 F-150 for the 1st time today!!!! Can't wait to hit the freeway next weekend.... got a 4 hour trip that will go from sea level all the way up and over 6500'..... So I will get a good feel for the the performance of the 19 and the temps...... forecast is mid 90's when I leave

Will be running 5* 91 Tow tune....

Will calculate mpg's average
trans temp
coolant temp
and so on vs. the 15 F-150 I had

Stay tuned.....

I think I am pretty satisfied with the height of the truck rear vs how level the trailer seems to be.... although I can go one more link on my sway bar set up to get the back up a tad more....... just undecided at this time..

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Those big fat 2019 turbos probably make it run nice at altitude. Looking forward to the results

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those big fat 2019 turbos probably make it run nice at altitude. Looking forward to the results
Me too......

Good thing is I pulled this same trip with the same trailer and my 15 F-150 with similar weather...... So I will get a good comparison.... just broke out my note book (I have always logged trips, back in the diesel days) going over the MPG's, coolant and trans temp from that trip.....

So, should be a pretty good accurate comparison with some real data!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Safe travels! Would like to hear how it compares to your old 15. What hitch setup do you have?

Will post it up....

Its the same set up that the dealer gave me when I purchased the trailer new, CURT Round bar weight distribution hitch, bars and chain.....

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leaving Friday morning, the 5* tow/performance tune is in....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Will post it up....

Its the same set up that the dealer gave me when I purchased the trailer new, CURT Round bar weight distribution hitch, bars and chain.....
I've been using a Fastway 4 point for years and I'm about done with it. Hard to adjust and I have to keep torquing the brackets and hitch every few months. Thinking about going to an Anderson or Blue Ox.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've been using a Fastway 4 point for years and I'm about done with it. Hard to adjust and I have to keep torquing the brackets and hitch every few months. Thinking about going to an Anderson or Blue Ox.

Anderson for the win! I havent used it on a TT but a 9500lb trailer of bales on the interstate and it handled beautiful.

I love that the whole unit weighs like 60 lb and is broken down into enough components that once installed you will rarely ever have to deal with the full weight.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I started with the basic round bar and chains, added a sway bar, then switched to the Andersen, tried a Fastway 2 point for a bit but it didn't control sway like the Andersen, so I'm back to the Andersen. I switched from the Andersen in belief that it wasn't distributing enough weight to the front axle, but this weekend I'm going to try it with the ball set lower as I think that's been my issue.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been looking at the Anderson as well....

Got the 5* tow tune in and the truck loaded.... heading out in the morning.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I am back..... Lots to say about the 19 and its towing ability.....

1st off, the 5* tow tune is a beast........

second......... I have never experienced the trailer sway thing like this 19 F-150 produced on this trip in just 12mph of side wind.... same hitch, same trailer as I towed with my 15 F-150, that by the way never swayed left or right.....ever!

No happy with the trailer sway..... at all... it was down right scary a couple of times

Trip up the mountain, 3 1/2 hr from sea level to over 6500ft... 93 degrees out... pulled the mountains at an average of 65mph... never seen the trans get over 219..... averaged 11.1 mpg for the trip... Sometimes on the flats she was rolling rigt at 68-70mph with ease... I know I could have backed off, but I wanted to put the truck through it on its 1'st trip

coming home, kept it pretty much at 65mph..... 12 mph siode wind when I hit the flats.... WOW... the trailer sway was all over the place..... after coming out of an over pass crossing under, the trailer sway light kicked on the decreased the power.... scared the crap out of the wife...Lol

After that it was white knucles for the last 70 miles, with 12mph side wind...... I am not happy at all with the sway!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Kinguni
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing