F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
So, I went to load the stock tune back up tonight and got an error code on my sct x4... 110D8.... I am reading its low voltage as to why it wont load the stock file.... at least according to a forum post I read that 5* had

I was able to just swap custom tunes and load the GH Performance adaptive octane performance Tune and will give this tune a go for a while and get to the track to compare it to the 5* 91 dedicated octane I have ben running for a while and I just recently went and ran at the track....

I figured I have a good average daily driving real world MPG and Performance number on the 1/4 mile for the 5* along with good seat time to know how it performs

So, lets send off a dat log to 5* and now run the GH tune and give it a second chance

. From the GH site for the 19, so I know this is 93 Octane so I figure it should be about 20hp less and few ft tq with the 91 octane I run

Auto Octane Adjust: Version 2.0
As we all know, 93 octane isn’t available at every gas station across the country — and even your local filling station doesn’t always receive consistent batches of fuel, So what happens if you get a bad tank of gas or simply can’t get the good stuff when you take a trip? Frequently, aftermarket ECU tunes require a certain octane rating and don’t take into account the fact that you may not always be able to run that same octane rating in your truck.
Perhaps the most important aspect included in Gearhead’s tuning is its retention of the factory “auto octane adjustment” feature present in the ECU. This feature allows the ECU to self-adjust according to the type of fuel being used (be it 87, 90 or 93 octane, etc.). But, not only does Gearhead keep this feature, they improve it. Gearhead augments the factory auto octane adjustment strategy in a way that allows considerably more power to be made as you step up your octane rating (without changing the tune).
What are you getting by choosing Gearhead?
  • 450+ Horsepower and 500+ Torque
  • “Auto Octane” adjust-ability for all pump gas fuel grades (You will have the best optimization of the tune using premium fuel)
  • Transmission shift strategy for the best daily driver characteristics
  • Most will see an improvement in fuel mileage with good driving habits
Yeah a lot of us have been getting that issue recently. Hopefully they fix it soon.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
In all honesty I would actually have them check for any calibration updates while under warranty. Otherwise you might be paying a nice 150 fee to reflash.

I just had them update my 18 raptor and it’s a whole different truck. Shifts amazing now.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Matt puts A LOT of time into the tunes. He primarily focuses on fixing the pitfalls of the stock calibration while increasing performance. He keeps everything very safe. The man is a wizard.

I think this new “juiced pedal” is just messing with the driver demand/throttle sensitivity. Overall torque down low is the same but the pedal is bit more sensitive.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Not to take over your thread at all. I remember a while back Matt dispelled myths with another tuner on the raptor forum and since then he’s been one of the few I trust. I did find the post he made which made me proud to be Gearhead tuned on my 18 raptor and 11 F150.

Here it is:

You want to go there? Okay let's go there. Let's dispel some myths on a few subjects. I will address pump gas tuning here, because we all know using higher E blends makes it easy to produce big power safely......

You talk about heat soak. The biggest contributor to heat soak is ELEVATED BOOST! When we tuned the first raptor back in 2017 we had lots of experience on the ecoboost platform previously and we tested our raptor for a 6 months before ever releasing to the public. We quickly found that the turbos would reach their design speed limit of 220000 rpms very quickly so we stopped boost there and thus the reason we limit boost at that level first and foremost. Timing actually keeps things cooler in boost so your cats don't cook as we actually measured cat midbed temps on the dyno to verify this is true. Lots of boost and no timing = hot cats! You even melt a cat? It is easy to do.

Obviously you don't understand how our auto octane feature works. It is a similar way to the way the factory does it (but different at the same time) and takes months of development to make it work like ours does. Instead of just running the same boost all the time no matter what the inferred octane is, our calibrations will run full boost on 93 octane (actually 91) but if it can't run enough timing it will ratchet back the max allowed load somewhere between stock and the premium fuel levels to save the cats. It doesn't ride the knock sensors like you are insinuating. Our calibrations will be + or - 2 degrees at all times on the KR activity but sometimes the knock sensors add more over the base calibrations where the trucks are detonation prone. Once the "long term timing trim" also known as OAR adjusts for inferred octane, the calibration automatically changes the maximum boost allowed. This gives maximum safety for anyone running our calibrations even if you think you are getting premium fuel and the station owner is cheating when they have a few hundred gallons of cheap stuff left and just dump it in their premium tanks.....

Even with the auto octane features we employ, we even felt the need to improve intake temperature compensations so that when you sit in traffic and gouge on the loud pedal you don't get crazy KR before the intercooler has a chance to do its job. We spent a whole lot of time working on the base calibration behind the scenes before we even started going for max power. This way the customer ends up with a reliable, fun truck that they don't have to watch their data screen on their tuner like a hawk the whole time they are driving. Also the customer won't have turbos that die a premature death from constantly being overspeed at wot from running too much boost....

Matt

www.ghtuning.com

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I thought they do offer 17-20 with the Ngauge?

The link says 17-18 but the page says 17-20. Wouldn’t hurt to give Lars or Garret a call.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
All in all we need to start watching what we say on forums. The fact that the EPA went into forums and Facebook groups to grab evidence for the lawsuit, makes me weary.

But this RPM act may have potential. Just more so getting the word out.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I actually thought about getting one for the shop. I do A LOT of driving to pick up parts. It wouldn’t hurt at all to save a few bucks.

Don’t get me wrong, driving a diesel around on 37s is awesome - but it’s a bit excessive if I’m just picking up some bolts:)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The trans issues were from the earlier recall. Some trucks reacted differently to the calibration and caused problems with the TCC.

The newest recall is called 21B10 Supplement #2. Which should not have trans issues following the update. Hopefully helping those with the phaser rattle.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
21B10S2 was released to prevent the phasers that are susceptible to the issue from exhibiting it.

Two things I can think of -

1. Changes to the variable oil pump.
2. Changes to the duty cycle of the phasers to reduce the locking/unlocking cycles that occur while driving in order to reduce wear. The new calibration applies to all models built up to 11/30/2019.

The redesigned new phaser went into production that same month. Trucks built after 11/30 would already have the newest part and latest calibration.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If it were me, the stock filter would be my go to. Best performance and filtration.

Don’t get me wrong the Wix works awesome, but it wasn’t really spec’d correctly for our application. The pleats began collapsing @150CFM reducing its overall efficiency. Maybe for an NA application it works wonders, not so much FI.

To be fair, they did have my old team( Mongo) use the stock filter/intake back in baja 2010. Absolutely no issues at all besides the booby traps we ran into (lol). Along with the same filter but updated stock intake in 2016 for the raptor ecoboost program.

The OEM filter is REALLY REALLY good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts