F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

561 - 580 of 605 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
Out of curiosity it’s not like stock shifting is it? As far as the smoothness? Is it at least firm and crisp in sport mode and/or wot?

I’m beyond happy with the shifting of my 5 star tunes (regular driving is like a cvt transmission, don’t even know it’s shifting) but I am several revisions in, shifts amazing regular driving or WOT but with that being said once this warranty is up, which at the rate I’m going won’t be crazy long, I think gearhead will be the next tune I try just for the hell of it.

I was told by a long time member on here the Gearhead is a jack of all trades master of none, he meant that in a good way.
I’m curious about this new juiced throttle since he also said with him knowing me I would be missing the low-end torque of my 5 star tune but that was prior to this "juiced throttle"

At any rate $300 ain't cheap but it ain't a lot of money either so when the time comes I’ll probably just grab one if I like it I like it if I don’t I’ve wasted much more money than that on things I’ve never used more than once. Mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, the shifting is very stock and smooth (but refined) under very normal driving habits. Now, roll on it with some good demand and it will crisply catch one to the other gear. Now, sport mode, it is firmer but no means is it harsh. Roll on it in sport mods and the tires will chirp (for me in second and third) and crisp is a tad firmer but no "hit", its a firmer crisp, if it makes any sense?

I had many revisions with the 91 octane dedicated tune and to me, the juiced GH out performs it... I will not know for sure until I get it to the track this spring for comparison.

I am going to say it will be like my 2015 3.5. The 91 5* ran slower than the GH tune in the 1/4. After 5 revisions on the 5*.... feeling this might be the same for the 2019!!!! This is just my exuberance......... soon I will load the calibrated tunes from calibrated tuning, give it a review against GH.. But by far, the GH has been my go to tune for the 2015 and 2019 over 5*, BCB and a couple others I tried, .

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Matt puts A LOT of time into the tunes. He primarily focuses on fixing the pitfalls of the stock calibration while increasing performance. He keeps everything very safe. The man is a wizard.

I think this new “juiced pedal” is just messing with the driver demand/throttle sensitivity. Overall torque down low is the same but the pedal is bit more sensitive.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Matt puts A LOT of time into the tunes. He primarily focuses on fixing the pitfalls of the stock calibration while increasing performance. He keeps everything very safe. The man is a wizard.

I think this new “juiced pedal” is just messing with the driver demand/throttle sensitivity. Overall torque down low is the same but the pedal is bit more sensitive.

Agreed, and it also equals a bigger grin on the face...... and some low end that matches the GH WOT at the top, which has always been very strong. Agreed, that Matt tunes are safer but not lacking in power. I was always amazed his data logs are so much more consistent and steady than others....

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Matt puts A LOT of time into the tunes......... The man is a wizard.
Since I am one, I can say this and it not be disparaging...... Matt is a nerd.

I think he has a laptop grafted to his hip.

He also has good taste in music, but for some reason doesn't want everyone to know about it. (could be because it's dinosaur good taste in music, but I'm a dinosaur myself)

I know nothing about this new juice thing.
Is it enhanced tip-in?
Asking for a friend.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: gotboost150

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I loaded up the performance tune last night and right out of the box the shifting is by far the best as far as smoothness. It's like the truck didn't even have to learn. With the 5* tunes shifting is a little rough until the truck learns a bit. This is the first GH tune I've ran so I can't compare their tune with out the juice pedal revision but this tune feels really strong and pulls very strong all the way through. I haven't got crazy and done a WOT run but was still seeing just under 18 psi boost. My OAR quickly adjusted up to -0.67 unlike my 5* 91 tune took forever just to get to -0.14 on same tank of fuel. I had them set my fans to kick on between °195-°200 ECT with the °180 tstat. It's cool to have a "custom" AOT that utilizes all your mods. This AOT is WAY stronger and feels WAY better than my 5* AOT. Sport mode feels strong and smooth without harsh shifts. If anyone is on the fence about trying these tunes it's time to jump off and jump on the GH train

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I felt the same way with the juiced GH from the average GH....... Me like it a lot!!!!
Y’all are selling me on the GH AOT tune! I think I may have to put an order in once I get my truck back from the dealer this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
660 Posts
Since I am one, I can say this and it not be disparaging...... Matt is a nerd.

I think he has a laptop grafted to his hip.

He also has good taste in music, but for some reason doesn't want everyone to know about it. (could be because it's dinosaur good taste in music, but I'm a dinosaur myself)

I know nothing about this new juice thing.
Is it enhanced tip-in?
Asking for a friend.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Maybe @mattr66 can tell us all what this "juiced pedal" magic actually is

·
Registered
660 Posts
Out of curiosity it’s not like stock shifting is it? As far as the smoothness? Is it at least firm and crisp in sport mode and/or wot?

I’m beyond happy with the shifting of my 5 star tunes (regular driving is like a cvt transmission, don’t even know it’s shifting) but I am several revisions in, shifts amazing regular driving or WOT but with that being said once this warranty is up, which at the rate I’m going won’t be crazy long, I think gearhead will be the next tune I try just for the hell of it.

I was told by a long time member on here the Gearhead is a jack of all trades master of none, he meant that in a good way.
I’m curious about this new juiced throttle since he also said with him knowing me I would be missing the low-end torque of my 5 star tune but that was prior to this "juiced throttle"

At any rate $300 ain't cheap but it ain't a lot of money either so when the time comes I’ll probably just grab one if I like it I like it if I don’t I’ve wasted much more money than that on things I’ve never used more than once. Mm

@TOWMA8R pretty much sums it up, stock smoothness with some attitude. I paid $175 for mine but I have the BDX.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have GH and first hearing about this “juice pedal.” Is this true or an old wives tale? If it is true, I am calling them tomorrow for a revision but do not want to look like a dumb***. If you guys are yanking chains. Ha

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #569
I have GH and first hearing about this “juice pedal.” Is this true or an old wives tale? If it is true, I am calling them tomorrow for a revision but do not want to look like a dumb***. If you guys are yanking chains. Ha

Its accurate. Just ask for the juice pedal. Its much more responsive and better low end...... over his advertised AO Tune.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
Y’all are selling me on the GH AOT tune! I think I may have to put an order in once I get my truck back from the dealer this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Its not secrete sauce, but its enough for some good response out of the hole and low end grunt. The best benefit for Matt is that you run a aftermarket IC, then it gets a tad better ; )

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
@TOWMA8R pretty much sums it up, stock smoothness with some attitude. I paid $175 for mine but I have the BDX.

well it’s on my list when the time comes of companies to try since I’ve already tried multiple other ones in the past with my last trucks.

Reactions: TOWMA8R

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #572
well it’s on my list when the time comes of companies to try since I’ve already tried multiple other ones in the past with my last trucks.
I’m not sure if I’ll be a fan of stock like shifting but we shall see, my current tunes the shifting really is perfect for my taste. I've had two friends that run both 5 star and gearhead both tell me they feel like knowing how I like my tunes I may be back to running my 5 star tunes but I guess worst case $300 is like a nice dinner so no big loss if that ends up being the case.

I hear you, I used to prefer the bam (firmer) bam (firmer) bam (firmer) shifts, but I like the Gh trans tuning in both normal, and its go time mode

Reactions: Sirikenewtron

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I hear you, I used to prefer the bam (firmer) bam (firmer) bam (firmer) shifts, but I like the Gh trans tuning in both normal, and its go time mode
Definitely looking forward to trying it!

My current tune's shifts for sure don’t bam, bang or clunk though, just quick and crisp

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #574
Definitely looking forward to trying it!

My current tune's shifts for sure don’t bam, bang or clunk though, just quick and crisp

I meant firm firm, not the actual bam bam bang

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I meant firm firm, not the actual bam bam bang
Ahh. Luckily I don’t have that.

Hey kind of even more off-topic, I know we’re in somewhat the same general area, where do you get your fuel from? My go to places around here have been giving me mediocre results mainly hi positive knock only on light throttle and mainly when leaving from a stop, stock tune or custom tune.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
Ahh. Luckily I don’t have that.

Hey kind of even more off-topic, I know we’re in somewhat the same general area, where do you get your fuel from? My go to places around here have been giving me mediocre results mainly hi positive knock only on light throttle and mainly when leaving from a stop, stock tune or custom tune.

Believe it or not, costco fuel actually. From all my data logging and other stuff, seems to be the most consistent and its a top tier gas....... Sams club, negative...... bad

I was mainly staying with shell or chevron, but started a while back with costco and its been pretty darn good form me, even when I dont run any E85 mixed. but then again, I splash a few gallons of E85 mostly and the knock is no worries.....

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Believe it or not, costco fuel actually. From all my data logging and other stuff, seems to be the most consistent and its a top tier gas....... Sams club, negative...... bad

I was mainly staying with shell or chevron, but started a while back with costco and its been pretty darn good form me, even when I dont run any E85 mixed. but then again, I splash a few gallons of E85 mostly and the knock is no worries.....
Ah ok. Damn same as me, was only shell then pretty much strickly Costco. I'm wondering if I'm getting false knock. Funny thing, I have two Costcos near me one south and one north and the north one always has better fuel it seems. Per my KR and oar at least.
I've been doing about 4 gallons of e85 in the tank as well, oar is -1.00

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Not to take over your thread at all. I remember a while back Matt dispelled myths with another tuner on the raptor forum and since then he’s been one of the few I trust. I did find the post he made which made me proud to be Gearhead tuned on my 18 raptor and 11 F150.

Here it is:

You want to go there? Okay let's go there. Let's dispel some myths on a few subjects. I will address pump gas tuning here, because we all know using higher E blends makes it easy to produce big power safely......

You talk about heat soak. The biggest contributor to heat soak is ELEVATED BOOST! When we tuned the first raptor back in 2017 we had lots of experience on the ecoboost platform previously and we tested our raptor for a 6 months before ever releasing to the public. We quickly found that the turbos would reach their design speed limit of 220000 rpms very quickly so we stopped boost there and thus the reason we limit boost at that level first and foremost. Timing actually keeps things cooler in boost so your cats don't cook as we actually measured cat midbed temps on the dyno to verify this is true. Lots of boost and no timing = hot cats! You even melt a cat? It is easy to do.

Obviously you don't understand how our auto octane feature works. It is a similar way to the way the factory does it (but different at the same time) and takes months of development to make it work like ours does. Instead of just running the same boost all the time no matter what the inferred octane is, our calibrations will run full boost on 93 octane (actually 91) but if it can't run enough timing it will ratchet back the max allowed load somewhere between stock and the premium fuel levels to save the cats. It doesn't ride the knock sensors like you are insinuating. Our calibrations will be + or - 2 degrees at all times on the KR activity but sometimes the knock sensors add more over the base calibrations where the trucks are detonation prone. Once the "long term timing trim" also known as OAR adjusts for inferred octane, the calibration automatically changes the maximum boost allowed. This gives maximum safety for anyone running our calibrations even if you think you are getting premium fuel and the station owner is cheating when they have a few hundred gallons of cheap stuff left and just dump it in their premium tanks.....

Even with the auto octane features we employ, we even felt the need to improve intake temperature compensations so that when you sit in traffic and gouge on the loud pedal you don't get crazy KR before the intercooler has a chance to do its job. We spent a whole lot of time working on the base calibration behind the scenes before we even started going for max power. This way the customer ends up with a reliable, fun truck that they don't have to watch their data screen on their tuner like a hawk the whole time they are driving. Also the customer won't have turbos that die a premature death from constantly being overspeed at wot from running too much boost....

Matt

www.ghtuning.com

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
Not to take over your thread at all. I remember a while back Matt dispelled myths with another tuner on the raptor forum and since then he’s been one of the few I trust. I did find the post he made which made me proud to be Gearhead tuned on my 18 raptor and 11 F150.

Here it is:

You want to go there? Okay let's go there. Let's dispel some myths on a few subjects. I will address pump gas tuning here, because we all know using higher E blends makes it easy to produce big power safely......

You talk about heat soak. The biggest contributor to heat soak is ELEVATED BOOST! When we tuned the first raptor back in 2017 we had lots of experience on the ecoboost platform previously and we tested our raptor for a 6 months before ever releasing to the public. We quickly found that the turbos would reach their design speed limit of 220000 rpms very quickly so we stopped boost there and thus the reason we limit boost at that level first and foremost. Timing actually keeps things cooler in boost so your cats don't cook as we actually measured cat midbed temps on the dyno to verify this is true. Lots of boost and no timing = hot cats! You even melt a cat? It is easy to do.

Obviously you don't understand how our auto octane feature works. It is a similar way to the way the factory does it (but different at the same time) and takes months of development to make it work like ours does. Instead of just running the same boost all the time no matter what the inferred octane is, our calibrations will run full boost on 93 octane (actually 91) but if it can't run enough timing it will ratchet back the max allowed load somewhere between stock and the premium fuel levels to save the cats. It doesn't ride the knock sensors like you are insinuating. Our calibrations will be + or - 2 degrees at all times on the KR activity but sometimes the knock sensors add more over the base calibrations where the trucks are detonation prone. Once the "long term timing trim" also known as OAR adjusts for inferred octane, the calibration automatically changes the maximum boost allowed. This gives maximum safety for anyone running our calibrations even if you think you are getting premium fuel and the station owner is cheating when they have a few hundred gallons of cheap stuff left and just dump it in their premium tanks.....

Even with the auto octane features we employ, we even felt the need to improve intake temperature compensations so that when you sit in traffic and gouge on the loud pedal you don't get crazy KR before the intercooler has a chance to do its job. We spent a whole lot of time working on the base calibration behind the scenes before we even started going for max power. This way the customer ends up with a reliable, fun truck that they don't have to watch their data screen on their tuner like a hawk the whole time they are driving. Also the customer won't have turbos that die a premature death from constantly being overspeed at wot from running too much boost....

Matt
www.ghtuning.com
Thanks for posting that. I had a long conversation with Mat about this ^ stuff and some other aspects of his tunes for the trucks with aftermarket intercoolers and his tuning set ups.......... Why I am super loyal to his tunes..... For me, I haven't had to watch my data screen at all, actually I have removed it.......

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Its not secrete sauce, but its enough for some good response out of the hole and low end grunt. The best benefit for Matt is that you run a aftermarket IC, then it gets a tad better ; )
no support for 2019 3.5 with the Ngauge, only with the SCT BDX

FYI for anyone else with a 2019 using ngauge.

Reactions: gotboost150
561 - 580 of 605 Posts