F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
721 - 740 of 1167 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #722 ·
Lets get some towing on this weekend...... I will switch from my E30 tune to the Tow tune for Calibrated Tuning..... First time towing with this tow tune, so I will bring my 5 Star tow tune with sct just incase.... Will get a lot of Sierra Nevada Mountain towing in to and from the Trails in Nevada we will be jeeping..... come to think f it, 1st major tow with the COBB intake, AMS Tubes , Whipple IC and Firestone Air Bags........... damn I have some data logging to do to compare to the previous time out without the added goodies.....

I will be towing my Jeep on my tandem trailer and gear.... I hope this Tow Tune for Calibrated towing is good enough for my liking....... I sure do like the other tunes I am running from them....

Stay tuned Should be 80's to low 90's on the tow up

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #724 ·
Have you given up on the track? Have not heard of you going lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not,,,, its been too hot.... 100's and more ..... I am waiting for the weather to cool down some....

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #725 ·
Couple pics after it was loaded up......

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #726 · (Edited)
Ok, lets start out by saying there was a a little mishap, but I'll get t that shortly.

As for the truck, the calibrated power "duramaxtuner" tow tune and air bags, lets see.

The truck, as always is super comfortable and just a joy to drive, sit in for comfort on long trips and, hey truck look great too..A+

Tranny never got over 223, intake temps kept in check by the COBB Intake and the Whipple IC, definitely did its job!!! pulling the grades at 65mph steady and outside temps 88-91 degree's

The Calibrated power tow tune..... lets say I was a little skeptical because I have come to love my 5 * tow tune (for obvious reasons).. Went to load the tune and there was two avail in my portal on my auto agent, a tow ethanol 60hp E-20-50 and a Flex fuel tow 50hp ....

I have been running at the mid E35 range but not knowing about fuel types at my designation I loaded the flex 50hp tune. By the way, 2 min to load tunes is one of the best features of these auto agents Tune loaded and off we went.

Let me say, the 5 * is a great tow tune, a 10 if you will...... but after the trek to of some long grades and elevation change, freeway and back country twisting roads, I am happy to say this tune is a 9.5!!! The down shifting is great, the gears hold true and it seemed to always select the correct gear for the throttle demand.... Power came on quick and low into the rpm range..... I don't know the whole thing just seemed to work.... I never had t use the manual gear select, kept it in Tow Haul and manipulated the throttle and it selected the correct gear, rather down shifting r if I needed to maintain the gear..... passing power was great, no power issues at all.... Knock was spot on,boost was great....

Air bags, what a absolute best tow addition ever....... up until a little owner install issue...

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #727 ·
About that owner air bag install issue, and I hope I did not destroy and air bag as I have no idea how many miles the bag was deflated until I discovered it at home late last night. went to air the bags down after I unladed the trailer and disconnected.... found a cap, melted on the valve stem...... was like, wtf happened here. crawled under to find the air line melted in a spot that was far from any heat source, so I thought,

so you all might remember, I have the exhaust cut back under the truck with a tip and resonator delete.

well, you get the picture

so apparently, the exhaust gases, are very hot coming out of the lil ole v6.... LMFAO

Didn't even cross my mind that the exhausted gases would melt the cap off and melt the line........ life lesson learned, and won't be repeated

Thinking I will re-locate and thinking I will use a splitter and just have one valve stem so I can air them up together at the same time... thoughts on that?

Any thoughts on if I damaged the air bag?

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
456 Posts
That looks like it should be plenty far back from the exhaust but apparently not. Must have been shooting fire from the pipe.

No experience with possible damage to the bag itself.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #729 ·
That looks like it should be plenty far back from the exhaust but apparently not. Must have been shooting fire from the pipe.

No experience with possible damage to the bag itself.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Pretty crazy..... I thought it was far back too........ truck never seemed to be running hot or anything but I guess every vehicle under a load can have some pretty damn ho exhaust gases...

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #730 ·
Replaced both airbag lines with black lines and relocated the valve stems...... should be no issue now with heat from the exhaust gases or exhaust.

Should have put them here in the 1st place..... And there seems to be no damage to the bag

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,654 Posts
Are you going to add a tailpipe to the body edge? Besides pumping a loty of heat at that corner, I thought the short under-body termination with the Pypes system like that boomed iritatingly. I ran a tailpipe to the edge of the fender to stop the booming. KM

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #732 ·
Are you going to add a tailpipe to the body edge? Besides pumping a loty of heat at that corner, I thought the short under-body termination with the Pypes system like that boomed iritatingly. I ran a tailpipe to the edge of the fender to stop the booming. KM

I don't like the look of the singe exhaust out the side...... I might just turn it down more

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #734 ·
This is what we did on first air bag install... next truck and all after have had on board compressor, so nice!

I might add a compressor later, but t is pretty easy to do them the way they are set up

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #735 · (Edited)
I see on my ford pass there is a recall

21B10 Powertrain control module for cam phaser rattle

What are your thoughts all? I hear we should not perform it and it can cause some trans shutter

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The trans issues were from the earlier recall. Some trucks reacted differently to the calibration and caused problems with the TCC.

The newest recall is called 21B10 Supplement #2. Which should not have trans issues following the update. Hopefully helping those with the phaser rattle.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,569 Posts
I see on my ford pass there is a recall

21B10 Powertrain control module for cam phaser rattle

What are your thoughts all? I hear we should not perform it and it can cause some trans shutter
Edit: Srp racing beat me to it

it’s probably the new updated one, I don’t know why they didn’t rename it seems silly to me that they didn't, but supposedly this is the new 21b10 that will not cause the shudder issue. personally I’m going to wait a couple more months and let other people be the guinea pigs, Ford doesn’t have a good track record with these.

Reactions: SrpRacing

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
21B10S2 was released to prevent the phasers that are susceptible to the issue from exhibiting it.

Two things I can think of -

1. Changes to the variable oil pump.
2. Changes to the duty cycle of the phasers to reduce the locking/unlocking cycles that occur while driving in order to reduce wear. The new calibration applies to all models built up to 11/30/2019.

The redesigned new phaser went into production that same month. Trucks built after 11/30 would already have the newest part and latest calibration.

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,692 Posts
Edit: Srp racing beat me to it

it’s probably the new updated one, I don’t know why they didn’t rename it seems silly to me that they didn't, but supposedly this is the new 21b10 that will not cause the shudder issue. personally I’m going to wait a couple more months and let other people be the guinea pigs, Ford doesn’t have a good track record with these.

But your truck is PERFECT

I wouldn't let them touch it. :)

My 2018 was, as you know, 3 years 7 months old when I finally turned it in and it was the first time they got to touch all the backlogged "updates" it was listed as needing. As well as 3 recalls. (seat belt airbags, transmission shift linkage, DRL brightness)

I don't want nobody to mess with your truck. Lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #740 ·
Maybe I will wait........ don't think I have too much of rattle going on...... some days i think I do and others I don't. Lol

721 - 740 of 1167 Posts