F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
741 - 760 of 777 Posts

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
But your truck is PERFECT

I wouldn't let them touch it. :)

My 2018 was, as you know, 3 years 7 months old when I finally turned it in and it was the first time they got to touch all the backlogged "updates" it was listed as needing. As well as 3 recalls. (seat belt airbags, transmission shift linkage, DRL brightness)

I don't want nobody to mess with your truck. Lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
That's how I'm feeling, my only worry is if I don't have it done then the possibility of an issue getting warranty work done for it down the road. Like them saying, sorry but you were notified about this fsa in regards to this exact issue but you never brought it in for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
11,022 Posts
That's how I'm feeling, my only worry is if I don't have it done then the possibility of an issue getting warranty work done for it down the road. Like them saying, sorry but you were notified about this fsa in regards to this exact issue but you never brought it in for it

But are you getting coldstart clack? I don't mean an instantaneous dry phaser sound that is gone almost instantly as oil pressure mutes it, but rather that actual clatter that takes a couple of seconds or more to go away.

I ask because I know you aren't a long oil change interval guy. And you already have the updated phasers. So in my opinion you shouldn't need this Ford bandaid. (my opinion)

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
But are you getting coldstart clack? I don't mean an instantaneous dry phaser sound that is gone almost instantly as oil pressure mutes it, but rather that actual clatter that takes a couple of seconds or more to go away.

I ask because I know you aren't a long oil change interval guy. And you already have the updated phasers. So in my opinion you shouldn't need this Ford bandaid. (my opinion)

No Clack, just the good old wastegate rattle. I do change my oil often but I feel like you just never know with these damn phasers

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #744 · (Edited)
After reading a post about intake filters, and a forum member moding his COBB intake to take a flat element filter, I decided to experiment some.

first things first, when I ordered my COBB intake they sent the original air filter that was damaged. I emailed them and they sent a replacement. So having a extra COBB filter to go back to in the end if I am not satisficed with my experiment in finding a suitable flat filter element , I decided to cut the filter element off the dirty COBB filter, then modify the rubber base to allow for the intake tubes to fasten securely, allowing me to experiment with some flat filters and the COBB twin dedicated tube Intake design.

I had bought a AEM Dry Flow drop in I never used.. I went down to buy a wix filter today to test a OEM style filter and I have my OEM motorcraft filter from the truck, with less than 5k miles.

I want to like the idea of the flat element filter and ease of either throw away and replace or quick cleaning of the AEM Dry Flow vs the large COBB filter. I am trying no to sacrifice air flow and keep the filtration to good or better, knowing the OEM filters filter great. (probably flow equally as the COBB Large cone, Lol)

On Bob is the oil guy, I read some very interesting threads about the COBB filters (presumable they are the same filter maker and material for all their after market intake kits as related to vehicle manufacture) Poor filter, poor air flow and worse for both after cleanings.

The I read some test about intake filter flow and the wix was just under the K&N Oiled filter flow rate, I mean just under. I know the K&N actually flow pretty well.

So, 1st filter up, is the wix filter. Outside of butt dyno and hand calculated mpg, I am not sure what else to monitor in the data logs to confirm the best filter for me, filtration and air flow. (2nd the AEM, 3rd the Motorcraft)

The COBB filter is just a large box style filter basically with 380 degree fitter element inside a sealed air box case.

Good ole fine tooth sawzall blade and sanding disc on my grinder did the trick with ease so the base of the COBB filter turned into a coupler device to secure the intake tubes to the COBB filter box

I would love to hear all of your opinions on filters, best for this set up or stick with the COBB large cone filter. Keep in mind I have the AFE Super scoop for more air volume coming in and the COBB Lid sits a tad higher over the OEM,

·
Registered
543 Posts
I’ll be surprised if @SrpRacing doesn’t chime in with some opinions and/or data here

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If it were me, the stock filter would be my go to. Best performance and filtration.

Don’t get me wrong the Wix works awesome, but it wasn’t really spec’d correctly for our application. The pleats began collapsing @150CFM reducing its overall efficiency. Maybe for an NA application it works wonders, not so much FI.

To be fair, they did have my old team( Mongo) use the stock filter/intake back in baja 2010. Absolutely no issues at all besides the booby traps we ran into (lol). Along with the same filter but updated stock intake in 2016 for the raptor ecoboost program.

The OEM filter is REALLY REALLY good.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
If it were me, the stock filter would be my go to. Best performance and filtration.

Don’t get me wrong the Wix works awesome, but it wasn’t really spec’d correctly for our application. The pleats began collapsing @150CFM reducing its overall efficiency. Maybe for an NA application it works wonders, not so much FI.

To be fair, they did have my old team( Mongo) use the stock filter/intake back in baja 2010. Absolutely no issues at all besides the booby traps we ran into (lol). Along with the same filter but updated stock intake in 2016 for the raptor ecoboost program.

The OEM filter is REALLY REALLY good.
Yes, I think I am going to quickly get to the OEM filter........... Thoughts on the AEM Dry vs OEM?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yes, I think I am going to quickly get to the OEM filter........... Thoughts on the AEM Dry vs OEM?
The AEM flowed about 20% more than the OEM filter but you lose quite a bit of filtration. It’s probably just fine for a street driven vehicle. Anything offroad and you’re most certainly letting in dust.

If it makes you feel any better - there are multiple raptors on FRF running stage 2 turbos with the stock intake/filter.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
The AEM flowed about 20% more than the OEM filter but you lose quite a bit of filtration. It’s probably just fine for a street driven vehicle. Anything offroad and you’re most certainly letting in dust.
Thanks for the information @SrpRacing . I started to reflect on the install of the wix with what you said with the wix collapsing. It was rather flimsy by memory so I took it out to compare with the OEM Motorcraft ..... Well, you can see by the pictures....

left is the OEM Motorcraft, thinner and much better quality thank the wix on the right.

flimsy wix

good and solid OEM (Holding it the same way same place on the filter) no flop no flimsy arch

So we ditched the wix and now the quality OEM filter with the COBB Intake design. It looks good too! I will Drive this for awhile then compare with the AEM Dryflow

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #750 ·
Question

You all knw I am running E30, blend 91 Octane and E85...... Do you think blending with 89 octane has any disadvantages? The Advantage is its 30 cents less a gallon than the 91

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Question

You all knw I am running E30, blend 91 Octane and E85...... Do you think blending with 89 octane has any disadvantages? The Advantage is its 30 cents less a gallon than the 91
You may loose a little timing. I dropped nearly 2* mixing 94 vs 91 to get e30.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #752 ·
You may loose a little timing. I dropped nearly 2* mixing 94 vs 91 to get e30.

Don't fix what isn't broken right !!!! Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #753 ·
well, back from an 700 mile camping trip towing my 30ft rv. Truck was boss. I decided to tow on the stock tune on the way home, I think I like that better......

Had a slight issue with the trip up. Was using the tow tune from my tuner and got a reduced power twice pulling a steep grade, finally figured out why. I was running the aggressive TCM file. I didn't change the trans tune back when I swapped from my E30 tune to the tow tune. The trans temp was good, the coolant temp was good, but I think the issue was the trans tune.....

I just liked running it in the stock form towing. It hd plenty of power and just was really smooth. Got an average (hand calculated) 11.9 mpg set pretty much at 65mph. She stayed in 8th gear and set at 2k rpm. Seemed to be a sweat spot!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #754 ·
PCM recall due to engine shutter 21N08

And

Cam Phaser 21B10

Should i have them done.......... just the hassle for the strategy code re=write from the tuner

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
PCM recall due to engine shutter 21N08

And

Cam Phaser 21B10

Should i have them done.......... just the hassle for the strategy code re=write from the tuner
Did you get the previous tsb 21b10 done and now have the engine shudder? If not you don't get the 21n08, it's only if you have.

The newest 21b10 which I believe is 21b10b is for everyone though. I've been putting it off and also waiting for other people to be the Guinea pigs before I schedule it, but most likely will get it in for it after Vegas.
And yeah major pain in the butt with new tunes and all that.

Reactions: TOWMA8R

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #756 ·
Did you get the previous tsb 21b10 done and now have the engine shudder? If not you don't get the 21n08, it's only if you have.

The newest 21b10 which I believe is 21b10b is for everyone though. I've been putting it off and also waiting for other people to be the Guinea pigs before I schedule it, but most likely will get it in for it after Vegas.
And yeah major pain in the butt with new tunes and all that.

That is why I am not wanting to do it, the hassle and all. I did not get the 21b10

·
Registered
58 Posts
My truck also is supposed to get the 21B10 and 21N08, but I'm holding off because I don't have any issues. Dealership says that I have to get the work done by end of November or else Ford won't cover them under warranty. Not sure what to do at this point.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #758 ·
My truck also is supposed to get the 21B10 and 21N08, but I'm holding off because I don't have any issues. Dealership says that I have to get the work done by end of November or else Ford won't cover them under warranty. Not sure what to do at this point.
Interesting on the warranty........ well ,it will be winter, so being on the stock tune wont be to bad...Lol until I can get the new tunes back in an updated with the new strategy

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #759 ·
This Lil Ole V6 Keeps on amazing me.......

Back roads on the way home because of Friday traffic...

2006 LBZ Duramax ....... Gauges, traction Bars, Cleary tuned and from the sound of it, probably a turbo upgrade.... definitely was rolling coal. But at a stop sign, two lanes, dude tried to smoke me (literally) So I got on it pretty good, traction control on and tires letting loose...... let the truck stay with me.....

we merge about two miles on a two lane back road and have a long straight away (1 1/2 miles). dude waves his hand out for me to come on and steps on it, completely blacked me out, so I get with it and merge to the open lane and quickly reel him in and proceed to pass and gap him and merge in front of him, out to 110 its clear he isn't running down this Li V6

Got into town and the guy was a hell of a good sport, rolls next to me and says, well, I wont be telling my buddies a F150 got me...... clearly moded and tuned I see........ then he becomes a d i c k and rolls coal al over me with the widow down as he screams away..... I was pissed for minute, then quickly started laughing....... Sore Loser!!!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
This Lil Ole V6 Keeps on amazing me.......

Back roads on the way home because of Friday traffic...

2006 LBZ Duramax ....... Gauges, traction Bars, Cleary tuned and from the sound of it, probably a turbo upgrade.... definitely was rolling coal. But at a stop sign, two lanes, dude tried to smoke me (literally) So I got on it pretty good, traction control on and tires letting loose...... let the truck stay with me.....

we merge about two miles on a two lane back road and have a long straight away (1 1/2 miles). dude waves his hand out for me to come on and steps on it, completely blacked me out, so I get with it and merge to the open lane and quickly reel him in and proceed to pass and gap him and merge in front of him, out to 110 its clear he isn't running down this Li V6

Got into town and the guy was a hell of a good sport, rolls next to me and says, well, I wont be telling my buddies a F150 got me...... clearly moded and tuned I see........ then he becomes a d i c k and rolls coal al over me with the widow down as he screams away..... I was pissed for minute, then quickly started laughing....... Sore Loser!!!
Lol awesome

Man I hate coal rollers, dumbest crap ever. Some men definitely are little boys inside, I use the word men loosely.
I’ve seen them roll coal on bicycle riders, "grown" men in the truck, need to have their teeth kicked in.

surprisingly we don’t have too many Cousin lovers around here that roll coal, but every once in a great while I will see one and I can instantly tell just by the stickers or flags on their truck and their look they were not loved by their parents, we're bullied or didn’t get enough attention as a kid lol

741 - 760 of 777 Posts