F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1061 - 1080 of 1265 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
well, well well........ Maybe some know this and some don't but I have always been transparent and honest....... and I will continue to be,

I made it to the track tonight, made two passes because of time and weather.

I am going to have to send a log back to brett and see what he thinks..... Maybe, its just simply where we are at with the revisions, but I was expecting more and got less which equaled disappointment,

Truck feels strong, but as we all know, the butt dyno is no comparison for a real dyno or track times,,,,, With that said... Here we go

13.40 & 13.44...... 13.40 was on the latest's revision and 13.44 was the previous revision. When I ran the 13.44 I thought, da mn something is wrong so I loaded the previous version and came away with 13.44 same speed at 102mph... I am pretty sure my E blend is E50 plus or minus a point or two..... so that should not be an issue...

Now. we all know my previous calibrated power tune Adaptive Auto Octane E30-E50 netted me 12.50's all day and a 12.4# once.or twice......

So yup, there it is,,,,,,,, head scratching

Feel free to chime in and yup,,,,,,
Hmmm but you’re saying that just driving around town it felt way different?

Did you ever go WOT till tonight at the track?

Maybe Brett has more work to do with regards to the tunes grunt (idk how to put that in words haha)

Maybe the torque converter isn’t locking up? Idk what I’m talking about with regards to that honestly.

Brett does tend to be conservative I think, I definitely would send him those numbers.

are there any other variables that would cause you to get the same as before? And your 12.50s, were they with different tires or was anything different at all?

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,062 ·
Hmmm but you’re saying that just driving around town it felt way different?

Did you ever go WOT till tonight at the track?

Maybe Brett has more work to do with regards to the tunes grunt (idk how to put that in words haha)

Maybe the torque converter isn’t locking up? Idk what I’m talking about with regards to that honestly.

Brett does tend to be conservative I think, I definitely would send him those numbers.

are there any other variables that would cause you to get the same as before? And your 12.50s, were they with different tires or was anything different at all?
12,50s, same set up,,,,,,,,

And yes, i did do some WOT runs for him 1/4 type and they felt good, I thought strong....... but I dont know ?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
12,50s, same set up,,,,,,,,

And yes, i did do some WOT runs for him 1/4 type and they felt good, I thought strong....... but I dont know ?
I’d definitely be a little disappointed, but maybe he hasn’t even given it all the beans yet.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,066 ·
I spoke to brett this morning, we I am going out to log it and send it of now..... We will see

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,589 Posts
I spoke to brett this morning, we I am going out to log it and send it of now..... We will see

hey I forget, did you run gearhead before? If you did did you take it to the track? If so I’m curious your thoughts between the gearhead tune and your boost king tune as far as comparisons, Driveability, shifting, power and what not.

hopefully he’ll get you set right with a few revisions.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,068 ·
hey I forget, did you run gearhead before? If you did did you take it to the track? If so I’m curious your thoughts between the gearhead tune and your boost king tune as far as comparisons, Driveability, shifting, power and what not.

hopefully he’ll get you set right with a few revisions.
Yes, and I ran a 13.7 om 91 octane

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,069 ·
I sent a few logs to brett, just waiting now.

I have done a lot of research, forums, you tube and so forth and its pretty clear E50 for a 2019 should net very low 12.s to 12.60 ish depending on conditions, tires size and so forth.

With my previous calibrated power tune between E40-5 I was sitting 12.50 all day...... So I am scratching my head waiting for Brett to email back

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,589 Posts
Yes, and I ran a 13.7 om 91 octane
So definitely sounds like you got some revisions to go.

So characteristics compared with the two?
Mainly curious cause a buddy of mine has gearhead and he was interested possibly but he’s to the point now where he’s tried multiple different companies and he feels like he’s not sure if he wants to keep on wasting money for not much difference.
figured you’re one of the only few other people I know of who's tried many different companies since I have no experience with boostKing.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,072 ·
Brett sent me an email and basically indicated he is seeing knock thats real and he does not want to push it any further for the timing I am running and my air flow is great,,,,,, He said I should be 30-40 hp above his 93 tuned trucks which have ran 13.40s He said he is puzzled as to why I laid two runs back to back at 13.40s ... So he has 93 octane 19s running 13.40 but I can get in the 12s with E50? Still very puzzled

I sent him a tone of question, so waiting to hear back

Since he had concerns about knock, I went ahead and loaded my calibrated power tunes back in the truck and will be taking these tunes back to the track Wednesday and see where I am . I will send some logs off to calibrated through the EZ Lynk and they usually hit me back the same day...... So if I get it back Tuesday or early Wednesday I will hit the track Wednesday night. If I lay down 13.40, then I might have an issue with the truck?????

Thoughts

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
Brett sent me an email and basically indicated he is seeing knock thats real and he does not want to push it any further for the timing I am running and my air flow is great,,,,,, He said I should be 30-40 hp above his 93 tuned trucks which have ran 13.40s He said he is puzzled as to why I laid two runs back to back at 13.40s ... So he has 93 octane 19s running 13.40 but I can get in the 12s with E50? Still very puzzled

I sent him a tone of question, so waiting to hear back

Since he had concerns about knock, I went ahead and loaded my calibrated power tunes back in the truck and will be taking these tunes back to the track Wednesday and see where I am . I will send some logs off to calibrated through the EZ Lynk and they usually hit me back the same day...... So if I get it back Tuesday or early Wednesday I will hit the track Wednesday night. If I lay down 13.40, then I might have an issue with the truck?????

Thoughts
Interesting. Have you tested your ethanol percent?
I wonder why there’s knock issues. My truck has had its fair share. It’s weird, I had a tank of 91 a little bit ago that had some knock and Brett didn’t want to push any further. But this tank is way better and hasn’t had any knock troubles even with the higher horsepower so we are continuing to push it. But my fuel is inconsistent.

What are your IATs at the track?

If you can’t fix the knock by increasing octane then you have a separate issue, so I’d start looking at other things.
Look at it this way, my truck has had lots of knock, but as soon as I increase my octane the knock is gone, so it’s not my trucks fault.

If you are running e50 (high octane) and are getting knock, you might have a separate problem.

What kind of spark plugs are you running?
What do your cylinders look like? Lots of deposits?

How is your fueling? Are you running lean? Is Brett watching your fuel pump duty cycle?

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
532 Posts
So as I’ve been going down the Rabbit Hole with Brett I’ve been pondering OAR and it’s effect on knock. Forgive me, I’m a lot further behind the custom tuning knowledge curve than you all…

Specifically, right after a tune / flash event your OAR starts back at 0.0 and has to learn what kind of spark it can tolerate right?

For me it’s taking 10-20 miles, AND requires some aggressive driving too.

So, I’m hypothesizing….

- If you immediately data log right after a flash, knock will show as a bigger issue than it really might be

- If you flash tunes at the track, between passes, or at home just before an easy cruise to the track, then the tuning is going to be really conservative initially.

Think either of these considerations are accurate?

If so, could the latter have affected your track times?

Do you know if your OAR on these 13.x passes was similar to that on the 12.x Calibrated Tuning times?

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,449 Posts
So as I’ve been going down the Rabbit Hole with Brett I’ve been pondering OAR and it’s effect on knock. Forgive me, I’m a lot further behind the custom tuning knowledge curve than you all…

Specifically, right after a tune / flash event your OAR starts back at 0.0 and has to learn what kind of spark it can tolerate right?

For me it’s taking 10-20 miles, AND requires some aggressive driving too.

So, I’m hypothesizing….

- If you immediately data log right after a flash, knock will show as a bigger issue than it really might be

- If you flash tunes at the track, between passes, or at home just before an easy cruise to the track, then the tuning is going to be really conservative initially.

Think either of these considerations are accurate?

If so, could the latter have affected your track times?

Do you know if your OAR on these 13.x passes was similar to that on the 12.x Calibrated Tuning times?
Right on!

My truck doesn’t always reset the OAR. In fact it’s rare that it does. Not sure why.

@Upshifter It’s actually easier to get the OAR to settle than that. Just give it a little gas down the highway till you see the KR active (your knock PID whether global, or individual, just watch it) and stay on the gas as the KR is active and after 6 seconds of being active, it will adjust. It usually takes just a few gentle accelerations for me to get it to settle down to where it wants to stay.

But yea, you should give the tune a few miles to adjust before you romp on it. Usually I do, but I’ve romped on it right away before and it seems to be ok.

Reactions: Upshifter

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,076 ·
Interesting ^^^ all of you............

I have been thinking about this recently and I think I might of had a few issues..... maybe the truck didnt learn enough and that is my fault.......... The 1st run at the track with the 13,4 was the latest revision and it was in the truck a few days....... Then iI loaded the previous and made a pass for the other 13.4..... Went home, loaded the latest revision again and probably data logged it too soon,

I will run this tank out and make sure I get a proper mix again to assure there is no bad gas,,,,,,,,

Brett said the fuel pressure, duty cycle, rail pressure all looked good......... and I am running the latest ford racing plugs

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,078 ·
It’s always best to allow the tune to relearn before datalogging. Albeit, you need to be patient and give it quite a few miles of just casual driving to settle in.

Something simple like cold/hot weather can provide you with very different results. I have even seen trans adaptations cause problems as well.

I may not have let it learn enough then, maybe on the second to the last revision and the latest......... before logging

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,079 · (Edited)
Ok with the ez ,ynk back in and with the help of their support (lost the ability to read the PID), my ability to read ethanol percentage is restored .... So I am still going drive a few miles, then pull some fuel from the tank and test the percentage manually..... I do know from previous testing the PID is very accurate last time I tested it, the same way, my PID Showed 33% and my test tube showed just under the 35% mark (this is when I was running the E30 for my calibrated file)

Brett emailed me today, he wants to work on this tune more and I need to do a better job letting the vehicle learn..... Lts see if we can change this around

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,080 · (Edited)
ok, so the PID for my EZ Lynk reading for Ethanol Percentage is sitting at 54.3 ..... Little higher than the E50 for the tune and pushing the limit of the stock pumps, even if I am using the VMP Booster.... Retrieved some fuel from the tank with my long slender tube and pump ball set up. .....homemade of course!

According to by test, after driving the truck to assure the tank was mixed, and using my test kit the content is sitting right between the 50% & 55%,,,,, If I have and educated guess by the marks on the bottle, its a tad over the 53% mark..... but damn close to the PID if you ask me @ 54.3%.... I have had many people with the Ngauge and other devicces that display the trucks PID say that they are pretty accurate, but between my small handful of test I have done, I am pretty confident in the Ez Lynk PID reading accurate as it is reading from the ECM and the physical test is as close as you can get.....

With all of that, since I have the Calibrated power E-30 to E50 Flex tune in the truck, I will get the mixture to E45-50, I will then be hitting the track Wednesday. for the best time and then after that, I will come home, load bretts latest revision, driver a full week and then send off a data log and go from there ...

1061 - 1080 of 1265 Posts