F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1141 - 1160 of 1276 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,141 ·
Well, decided not to have anything wielded to the exhaust/cat but I did come up with the following (pics) and the idea and design behind the thought

both sides, both carts, same way.......... Figured if they cut the bottom, then look up and see the mess for the top part, they move on, and its an easy repair or if they look up after crawling under, and see the mess and maze, don't have the proper tools, best blade on the market to cut through it all (even then, that is multiple blades and hour or more,,, or sockets, swivel, extension to remove, they move on........ after all, they want to be gone in under 3-5min, not spend 30 min plus...... and a ton of noise

used 2 thick 5 inch grade 8 bolts, ran along the cutting area a thief would use to cut through the thin exhaust pipe, then a series of exhaust clamps to hold them in place, The design of the exhaust clamps are a tier step down or up in size, so if you look at it you would think you need to loosen the 1st one you see, but in reality you have to work from the top down, If you don't loosen from the top down the closest ones to the cat, wont come off, even if you remove the nuts (trust me), all the plates are wedged in, you cant remove them unless every one on top of the one you want is removed first, working your way down.....and I placed the strongest loctite on the very top two clamps, ones you need a long extension and swivel to get too....Lol.... I mocked it up with all clamps loose, used rachet strap around the top, pulled all down with tension, wedging each one in place, them tightened from the top down (top two with loctite). So remove the bottoms, which seems the best way, it is not, the 4" clamp is wedged in place by the 2 3/4" clamp which is wedged in place against it with the bolt heads and all the clamps above them holding/wedging them in place.... So you need an extension, swivel and correct socket...... they won't have and wouldn't want to spend the time..... and not knowing the correct loctite, and what is needed to loosen from the top down, even longer.... and frustrating.... there is not a lot of room up there to get good leverage either.....Lol

But the other thought is, they have to cut through the clamps, the grade 8, bolts (in case they think they can go through a clamp or between clamps, no way......or get the sawzall up there high enough past the last set of clamps to the pipe,,,,,,, no way, I tried, you cant get the sawzall and blade up high enough to cut past the clamps..... for either side ...... no room, no angle, blades aren't long enough, you can[t get leverage,,,,

Last, the larger clamps against the cat, ride up a good inch and half or more from the actual exhaust pipe, they would have to go through the actual cat at the point, if they decide to......they aren't going to spend the time (way longer than 3-4 min they take to go through the thin exhaust pipe. because cat body is much more difficult to cut through than the exhaust pipe, takes a lot longer too... Then if they do cut through the actual cat that far up, or into it, most places won't buy it because its for sure removed via theft..... so the experts say...... and most thief's will know that and know it takes much longer

How many thieves carry a 9/16 socket, extension, swivel extension and rachet for the 1st attempt....... so if they return to try again, thinking removing the clamps will be easy, it wont be and they won't want to spend probably 25-30 minutes per side or more removing them after they figure its difficult........well if they do, they deserve them.....(And I get a high flow, 3" down pipe set up. Lol from my insurance company)

like 80 bucks, 1.5 work and OCD.......... just didn't want to wield stuff on......... not sure if the explanation is clear enough, but hopefully you get the idea........ F thieves

I had to zip tie both rear sides of the plastic cover.......

View attachment 180435

View attachment 180437
View attachment 180438

Lol, looking back at it all, I did go cheap and country ghetto.......... O well

·
Moderstrator
1,950 Posts
Pretty smart idea. Any rattles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt there are rattles - it looks like those clamps are snug and tight.

Reactions: DunePig and TOWMA8R

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,144 ·

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,592 Posts
Well, decided not to have anything wielded to the exhaust/cat but I did come up with the following (pics) and the idea and design behind the thought

both sides, both carts, same way.......... Figured if they cut the bottom, then look up and see the mess for the top part, they move on, and its an easy repair or if they look up after crawling under, and see the mess and maze, don't have the proper tools, best blade on the market to cut through it all (even then, that is multiple blades and hour or more,,, or sockets, swivel, extension to remove, they move on........ after all, they want to be gone in under 3-5min, not spend 30 min plus...... and a ton of noise

used 2 thick 5 inch grade 8 bolts, ran along the cutting area a thief would use to cut through the thin exhaust pipe, then a series of exhaust clamps to hold them in place, The design of the exhaust clamps are a tier step down or up in size, so if you look at it you would think you need to loosen the 1st one you see, but in reality you have to work from the top down, If you don't loosen from the top down the closest ones to the cat, wont come off, even if you remove the nuts (trust me), all the plates are wedged in, you cant remove them unless every one on top of the one you want is removed first, working your way down.....and I placed the strongest loctite on the very top two clamps, ones you need a long extension and swivel to get too....Lol.... I mocked it up with all clamps loose, used rachet strap around the top, pulled all down with tension, wedging each one in place, them tightened from the top down (top two with loctite). So remove the bottoms, which seems the best way, it is not, the 4" clamp is wedged in place by the 2 3/4" clamp which is wedged in place against it with the bolt heads and all the clamps above them holding/wedging them in place.... So you need an extension, swivel and correct socket...... they won't have and wouldn't want to spend the time..... and not knowing the correct loctite, and what is needed to loosen from the top down, even longer.... and frustrating.... there is not a lot of room up there to get good leverage either.....Lol

But the other thought is, they have to cut through the clamps, the grade 8, bolts (in case they think they can go through a clamp or between clamps, no way......or get the sawzall up there high enough past the last set of clamps to the pipe,,,,,,, no way, I tried, you cant get the sawzall and blade up high enough to cut past the clamps..... for either side ...... no room, no angle, blades aren't long enough, you can[t get leverage,,,,

Last, the larger clamps against the cat, ride up a good inch and half or more from the actual exhaust pipe, they would have to go through the actual cat at the point, if they decide to......they aren't going to spend the time (way longer than 3-4 min they take to go through the thin exhaust pipe. because cat body is much more difficult to cut through than the exhaust pipe, takes a lot longer too... Then if they do cut through the actual cat that far up, or into it, most places won't buy it because its for sure removed via theft..... so the experts say...... and most thief's will know that and know it takes much longer

How many thieves carry a 9/16 socket, extension, swivel extension and rachet for the 1st attempt....... so if they return to try again, thinking removing the clamps will be easy, it wont be and they won't want to spend probably 25-30 minutes per side or more removing them after they figure its difficult........well if they do, they deserve them.....(And I get a high flow, 3" down pipe set up. Lol from my insurance company)

like 80 bucks, 1.5 work and OCD.......... just didn't want to wield stuff on......... not sure if the explanation is clear enough, but hopefully you get the idea........ F thieves

I had to zip tie both rear sides of the plastic cover.......

View attachment 180435

View attachment 180437
View attachment 180438
That works!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,146 ·
Reactions: DunePig

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,592 Posts
ghetto for sure bro
If it works that's all that matters!
I may look into doing the same or something similar. Mine are really easy to get to now with the 6 inch lift and no filter cover anymore

Reactions: DunePig and TOWMA8R

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,148 ·
If it works that's all that matters!
I may look into doing the same or something similar. Mine are really easy to get to now with the 6 inch lift and no filter cover anymore
Well it did, back in the same parking structure which is my work, came out and my entire bottom piece was laying on the ground......... We went and ran footage as I started parking in an area that will capture my truck and a guy walks up wearing a back pack and slides under the truck........ for about 28 sec, he lays motionless as people walk by.... then you see him starting to move and take the back pack off,,,,,,, then after as few tugs down comes the cover...... then you see him looking and slides to the other side then rolls out and puts the back pack on and walks away to another vehicle...... rav 4 about 5 cars down..... slides under out of view and about 3 min later he is up and gone.......

This was all discovered when I went out to leave for home........ after they reviewed the footage they sent someone to check the Rav 4,,,,,, they looked under and see wires hanging.... about 35 min later an elderly lady comes out.... sure enough its gone..... I stayed until the tow truck came for her and her daughter arrived, letting her sit in my truck while the AC ran..... she was 88! She was such a nice lady and kept saying, I made it 88 years without having anything stolen from me, well, that I can remember. Lol

Almost came a victim, but my ghetto clamp idea worked..... my bottom cover is destroyed,,,,,,,,.......

Have I said how much I had thieves!!!!

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
534 Posts
Time for a sting operation.

That really sucks… for you and definitely for the old lady. I wonder if people like this ever think about who their victims might be. Nah, not for a second.

Sorry man.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,463 Posts
Well it did, back in the same parking structure which is my work, came out and my entire bottom piece was laying on the ground......... We went and ran footage as I started parking in an area that will capture my truck and a guy walks up wearing a back pack and slides under the truck........ for about 28 sec, he lays motionless as people walk by.... then you see him starting to move and take the back pack off,,,,,,, then after as few tugs down comes the cover...... then you see him looking and slides to the other side then rolls out and puts the back pack on and walks away to another vehicle...... rav 4 about 5 cars down..... slides under out of view and about 3 min later he is up and gone.......

This was all discovered when I went out to leave for home........ after they reviewed the footage they sent someone to check the Rav 4,,,,,, they looked under and see wires hanging.... about 35 min later an elderly lady comes out.... sure enough its gone..... I stayed until the tow truck came for her and her daughter arrived, letting her sit in my truck while the AC ran..... she was 88! She was such a nice lady and kept saying, I made it 88 years without having anything stolen from me, well, that I can remember. Lol

Almost came a victim, but my ghetto clamp idea worked..... my bottom cover is destroyed,,,,,,,,.......

Have I said how much I had thieves!!!!
This is extremely irritating and sad at the same time. Alright, time to hook up some sort of electric to the bottom cover so when they remove it they get a shock of their life. Or maybe you can make your truck detect motion and spray pepper spray at them as soon as they lay eyes on the cats.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
This is extremely irritating and sad at the same time. Alright, time to hook up some sort of electric to the bottom cover so when they remove it they get a shock of their life. Or maybe you can make your truck detect motion and spray pepper spray at them as soon as they lay eyes on the cats.
I like how you think !

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Daaamn!

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
14,154 Posts
So if the thief has to remove some cover before getting to the cat, AND it appears that they are FAST at doing so, would if removing the cover unwittingly pulled the chord from a pull-chord alarm?

This one is 120 Decibels and could be mounted up in the engine compartment, so there's nothing the thief could do to stop it once it is triggered

Secure Loud-Mate Pull Cord Patient Fall Alarm Monitor - 120 dB Caregiver Alert for Wheelchair, Chair, Bed Use - Batteries Included Amazon.com

·
Moderstrator
1,950 Posts
So if the thief has to remove some cover before getting to the cat, AND it appears that they are FAST at doing so, would if removing the cover unwittingly pulled the chord from a pull-chord alarm?

This one is 120 Decibels and could be mounted up in the engine compartment, so there's nothing the thief could do to stop it once it is triggered

Secure Loud-Mate Pull Cord Patient Fall Alarm Monitor - 120 dB Caregiver Alert for Wheelchair, Chair, Bed Use - Batteries Included Amazon.com
The Cat Strap I decided to install on my truck does offer such an alarm - Cateye Electronic Alarm | catstrap
I did not opt for it (yet).

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,463 Posts
Thankfully we don’t face these type of problems where I live.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,159 ·

I like it

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe this is saddist in me coming out BUT if you where really bored and wanted to create a DIY RaspberryPI computer project you could probably get a simple short range microwave sensor or motion detector that when triggered would turn on a simple power solenoid.

And if someone just happened to have spark plug coil pack attached to a solenoid then it could potentially and "accidentally" pass a 40,000 volt charge down the exhaust system and anything in contact with it :ROFLMAO:

I would never recomend anyone do this....... but the amperage would be quite low so dout anyone would end up in hospital but it would definitely be a deterrent :cool:

1141 - 1160 of 1276 Posts