F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1321 - 1340 of 1360 Posts

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,321 ·

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,249 Posts
Man, how many are there!!!!! Lol So I get another update soon, or is it year and model specific?
Ignore me. :)

But I was kinda surprised that the versioning numbers are similar across the different APIMs and Sync generations.

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,323 ·
Happy New Year All... Hope 2023 Brings much love tot he Truck!!!!! And the Family

· Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,866 Posts
Reactions: TOWMA8R

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,325 ·
Going to switch over to either the 0-40 Mobil 1 FS Synthetic European or Full Synthetic 5-30 Most Likely the Kirkland Signature which is a very good oil based on my research. I always change at 5k or less.

Walmart locally has the Mobil 1 Mentioned above for $60 for 12 Qt Box ----- gives tow oil changes for $60 plus filters... Not too bad, Compared to Kirkland 5-30 full synthetic at $39.99 for 10 Qts (2 pack 5 gal jugs)..... So for the money the Mobil 1 cost, performance and benefit fo the 0-40 worth it,,,,,,,, cost and motor benefit?

The Kirkland is gaining popularity.... it helps LSPI Low Speed Pre-Ignition .......

Counting on you Snake to chime in!!!!!

· Premium Member
15,249 Posts
Lol
I'm not saying that I wouldn't chime in, but can I wait until it gets at least warmed up?

But I will go on record as saying that I believe these motors LOVE 0-40.
Or put another way, that viscosity range compared to 5-30 is win-win, if everything else in the oil is a good thing. (I can't defend my subjective feelings regarding)

By the way, that's directly odd considering I have been experimenting with a 5-30 oil on this new truck. (after running 0-40 for 3+ years) Admittedly I chose to for the sole reason of its supposedly fantastic anti-wear properties in a very simple engineering test. (540 Rat blog)
But my early Blackstone feedback is a little concerning in respect to its viscosity testing below 5-30 without fuel dilution, and that's at ~3000 miles.

I'm hanging in with it for a couple of more changes at least, because I already purchased it. :)

You've caught me at a time when I'm more negotiable than I usually am. 😂

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,327 ·
Lol
I'm not saying that I wouldn't chime in, but can I wait until it gets at least warmed up?

But I will go on record as saying that I believe these motors LOVE 0-40.
Or put another way, that viscosity range compared to 5-30 is win-win, if everything else in the oil is a good thing. (I can't defend my subjective feelings regarding)

By the way, that's directly odd considering I have been experimenting with a 5-30 oil on this new truck. (after running 0-40 for 3+ years) Admittedly I chose to for the sole reason of its supposedly fantastic anti-wear properties in a very simple engineering test. (540 Rat blog)
But my early Blackstone feedback is a little concerning in respect to its viscosity testing below 5-30 without fuel dilution, and that's at ~3000 miles.

I'm hanging in with it for a couple of more changes at least, because I already purchased it. :)

You've caught me at a time when I'm more negotiable than I usually am. 😂
I have read that the 5/30 Kirkland and walmarts Super Tech Full synthetic are both very resistant to fuel dilution (good for flex fuel) and both manufactured by warren Distribution, same as Super Tech....... Some research, many experts say they are the exact same oil.

· Premium Member
15,249 Posts
Honestly, if you step back a little, modern oil is amazing stuff compared to.... Well, what I grew up with. And the stuff my dad and grandad had to choose from?
Kirkland would probably be a science fiction lubricant not that many years ago.

The biggest decision you and I really can make regarding oil related protection of our cherished Ecoboost is how long do we leave it in, and does our filter inhibit the oil flow negatively? (I do NOT believe oil filters are as similar in their capabilities as oil itself is. There are oil filters that aren't the best idea for the Ecoboost)

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,329 ·
I have read that the 5/30 Kirkland and walmarts Super Tech Full synthetic are both very resistant to fuel dilution (good for flex fuel) and both manufactured by warren Distribution, same as Super Tech....... Some research, many experts say they are the exact same oil.
And with what I said above, they (both oils) have gone up against Mobil 1 and Red Line and flowed better cold than both and had finished just behind them both overall, which is very impressive, I think I talked myself and researched myself believing Super Tech, Kirkland and Amazon Full Synthetic are the same, made by warren distribution and have all performed as good (tested in lab and other well respected outlets) as Mobil 1 and Redline...... So for the money, and for never going over 5k miles on an oil change, maybe one of the 3 mentioned in 5-30 full synthetic is what I am after!!!!!

· Registered
2018 3.5 EcoBoost XLT
189 Posts
I always criticized my mom for using super tech in her vehicles because it was a Walmart branded oil, but apparently it’s pretty good oil.
She uses conventional so maybe it’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,331 ·
Fresh 5-30 full synthetic and filter...... all was going well until the ole elbow knocked a full qt over off the truck and all over the garage floor!!!!

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,333 ·
That is not a fun cleanup!

It was an opportunity to test my foul language to start the new year, that is for sure

· Registered
2019 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Screw
57 Posts
I always criticized my mom for using super tech in her vehicles because it was a Walmart branded oil, but apparently it’s pretty good oil.
She uses conventional so maybe it’s different.

Its been a few years, but when I burned it in the spectrometer m/n, it was very similar to Valvoline regular (read: dino) oil

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,336 ·
I'd personally splurge and spend $22-$25 per 5qts on Quaker state full syn or penzoil ultra platinum at Wally's. I run one of those two in 5w30 for winter and 5w40 in summer.
There are so many validated test head to head of most of these oils mentioned, same synthetic and weight are performing so close to each other that with proper maintenance and religious on time changes, any of them will do the job and have equal benefit....... Can anyone really say which is the best oil, I mean really prove it !

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,337 ·
So I have switched back to the Calibrated power E Blend tune and there are a few things that I really do like....

For starters, the EZ Lynk Platform, Such a great platform, quick, easy and does a lot. Then the fact I have 3 separate TCM Files, Two Tow files (1 E Blend) 4 Different ECM Drive Files ( 2 E Blend) to include a race file I have not used (The race file yet, as I don't have all the recommended upgrades)

To add, with the dedicated E50 File and the old E30 File, my mpg was junk on the freeway..... With my Current E Blend at 40, with the calibrated power tune, I am bettering 2.5 gallons per mile and this is with the winter blend....... Thus tune on E40 is what I ran a best, 12.52 in the 1/4 mile........

So I find myself really happy with it after a few months in BK E50 tune and back to the Calibrated Power Tune.

Since Calibrated has checked all the boxes for plenty of TCM/ECM options at a 2-3 minute load time and is pretty respective for the 1/4 time, i will be trying only one more tuners tune, an E50 blend from Torrie,@ unleashed.

· Registered
2018 3.5 EcoBoost XLT
189 Posts
Calibrated power is basically a higher refined “canned” tune? With more options than buying a typical canned tune?
Ezlynk sounds similar to what OBDLink can do as a code reader and pid display?
Sorry probably dumb questions, but it might be something I’m interested in.

· Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,674 Posts
Calibrated power is basically a higher refined “canned” tune? With more options than buying a typical canned tune?

Pretty sure he's done some pretty extensive datalogging and revisions with his, I wouldn't consider it a "canned tune"

· Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,340 · (Edited)

Lol, a canned tune running 12.52? And a well respected tuner, who you can figure out reading my thread managed the same results, a tad slower than calibrated power, actually @ 12.63 on E50, If a "canned tune" does that, run with a fully custom tune from a well respected and known tuner after 11 revisions,, I'll take it.....

With my tires, its on par with many of the other, well known, non canned tuners on E50... And to be sure, we will see what Unleashed manages on E50 as well, and compare to Calibrated Power, and the other well known tuner!

And it is far more advanced than a OBDlink or PID monitor, and Nick aka "Duramax Tuner" is a pioneer in the diesel world for tuning and his turbos, and by the majority, in the top 3 of the best!!!! I am not nervous at all running his tunes, the guy will not produce something, market it and then stand behind it if he has not done hours upon hours of testing and road time......

At one point when I was racing on the diesel scene and Duramax platform, If I wasn't running Idaho Robbs tunes, I was running Calibrated Power,,,,,,

Reactions: boostkingMatt
1321 - 1340 of 1360 Posts